• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Shrimps

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The first of 3 games, which will probably shape how our season turns out. On paper relatively easy fixtures, but any complacency will be punished.

The visitors have been in fairly erratic form, but grabbed an away win at Forest Green a month ago and took us to the wire at their place, before Harvey Gilmour delivered the points with a late goal. Kevin Ellison, ex-Rover on the score-sheet as they demolished Cambridge 3-0 at the weekend; the same side that we scraped past in our last home game. Wonder if there'll be any comeback in this fixture, with Ellison alleged to be the source of racist remarks in the scuffle at the end of the win in Morecambe.

No updates on injuries; in particular to Steve McNulty. It we opt for a 532 formation again, I'd prefer starting Gilmour to Harris to allow more creativity in the middle of the park, though some may feel that tactic is too defensive given our opponent.

Prediction: There will be a good turnout of home fans, allowing for the incentive of getting a Spurs ticket. However, the Shrimps won't bring great numbers, so expecting around the same total attendance as the Oldham game. I won't be there alas, due to family committments. Don't think this is a nailed on win given the two sides current form.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I don't think we will start with the 532 formation; it would be far too negative for a game like this. I expect we will either revert to 442 with Smith on the wing, or a 451 with Cole behind Norwood. The latter is a possibility, as Mullin was poor on Saturday.

Morecambe played nice football in the reverse fixture and have got some decent players like Leitch-Smith and Oates, but this is the kind of fixture where we have ground out victories at Prenton Park all season. Morecambe's current form is poor, despite their win against Cambridge, and our home form remains excellent.

We have already pre-sold over 6,000 tickets, and with sales continuing today and tomorrow, and several hundred likely to pay on the gate, I think the crowd will be about 8,000. Morecambe will probably bring about 300 fans.

Prediction: Rovers victory.

Player
ian goodison
relatively easy fixtures & Tranmere normally fill me with dread, but surely we are due a break & grab 3 pts don,t care about the score or the manner of our performance any win will do

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
My little ones the mascot for this one so should be a good day.

I think we’ll go more attack minded for this one. We need a bit more width at home. Let’s just hope they take their chances this time!

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
My little ones the mascot for this one so should be a good day.

I think we’ll go more attack minded for this one. We need a bit more width at home. Let’s just hope they take their chances this time!
Hope you all have a day to remember, particularly your little one!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
This season the smart money has been on Rovers to win at home and lose away, at least in the league. The problem at the moment is we have been unconvincing in the league since beating Exeter in early November. Morecambe will set up to frustrate but I think a good win is overdue and I am hoping for us to record our first league double tomorrow. Two-nil with Nors and Smith on target.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
We could really do with a win tomorrow and I'd absolutely take a scratchy one. It was a fantastic day at Morecambe and we will have to battle just as hard to take the points. Our defence will need to be solid and concentrate hard since the Shrimps were very impressive going forward. We need to start digging in and grinding out results like we were earlier in the season. The aim must be to start the New Year looking up the table rather than down it.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I would think we will play 4-4-2 at home in the league, think the crowd will be near 8000 and we will win 2 1

Player
Manager
John King
Posted the team on the wrong thread, apologies. Seems quite negative to me, it will be interesting to see how it goes.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Initial thoughts in line with RLC, quite a negative formation for a home game against a lower mid table side.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Initial thoughts in line with RLC, quite a negative formation for a home game against a lower mid table side.
3-0 at half-time. If that's a negative formation, I hope we see a lot more "negativity" from Rovers. ;)

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Four of the seven sides above us have lost or are losing at the moment. If we win, it'll be a very good day.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
3-0 at half-time. If that's a negative formation, I hope we see a lot more "negativity" from Rovers. ;)
You didn’t post that at 3pm though;)
It sounds like a decent showing, with a couple of those who’ve had a fair bit of flak, Messrs Stockton and Harris stepping up to the plate. Hoping for more of the same on Saturday when I will be there.

Player
Manager
John King
An entertaining game and a fully deserved victory for Rovers, which should have been by a bigger margin. I wondered how the 532 would work today, and in the first half I did think we set up like the away side at times, happy to concede possession and draw the opposition on to us. However, while having a lot of the ball, Morecambe could not penetrate our back five at all and we were incredibly solid defensively. At the other end, we did not create that many chances but were absolutely ruthless when we did attack: a fantastic, snap-shot by Cole for the first goal and a great team move for the third, with a good lay-off by Norwood, an excellent cross by Ridehalgh and a great burst into the box by Harris to head home. I actually thought we passed the ball much better after half time: there were several excellent moves and we should have scored further goals.

Individually, I thought Liam Ridehalgh had a great game at left back, and all three centre halves were solid, with Ellis particularly impressive. There was some lovely link-up play between Norwood and Stockton, particularly in the second half. However, I agreed with the sponsor's choice of Jay Harris as man of the match. In the long term, I am still not sure he will be good enough for us, but he was fantastic today, buzzing round the pitch and capping an excellent performance with a fine goal. Cranston, the left back who smashed home Morecambe's consolation, was by far their best player.

Particular credit should go to Micky, who made a tactical change that raised a few eyebrows, but was perfectly implemented once again.

I hope Ian's boy enjoyed his day.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Clinical was how I’d describe the first half. I actually didn’t think we played that well and morcambe played the better football. But somehow we were 3-0 up. Second half they started brightly but we kept them out albeit they scored a great goal. It could have got nervy if they’d got another but we defended well. Nice to see Ellison get some stick when he was subbed.

Agree with RLC that MOM was Harris altho no one really stood out. Pleased for Stockton as however hard he works, strikers will always be judged on goals. I noticed him make a few decent runs today too which was good to see and pleased the SWA gave him a good reception. A bit surprised we changed shape to 4-5-1 near the end as we were fairly solid and if their late free kick had gone it would have been panic stations.

As Micky said post match the win was all that matters and more of the same please on Saturday.

Pleased Tollit scored. Wrexham’s manager saying it was the best debut from the bench he’s seen in years. Hopefully he’s back in a month full of confidence and match fit.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Great day all round. Had a nice tour of the ground, met the players, Micky and Mark. Good, solid setup behind the scenes and Luke was delighted. Got some great photos too! Thought we played really well today. Solid in defence. I was worried when McNulty was missing but Sutton, Ellis and Monthe were all excellent. Wing backs had very good games and caused problems down the flanks. Midfield were solid helped by an excellent performance by Harris. 3-0 HT the game was effectively over but we did have some great chances in the second half to go further ahead. Still in a solid league position. Let's hope we can sort our away form out.

Player
ian goodison
strange sort of day, 3-0 up at h/t when only in 1st gear don,t think their keeper made a save yet still picked the ball out of the net 3 times, ellis my MOM had a great game, during the warm up Ellison hoofed the ball nearly over the stand instead of giving it back to zoom who then gave him a few choice words, Ellison reminded me of a pantomime villain, great to see cole get a great reception from a great rovers turn-out