• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Scunthorpe

Match result

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Scunthorpe
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, October 3, 2020 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, October 3, 2020 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Another home game for Rovers and another chance to pick up some points. The Iron come to Prenton Park on the back of a 1-0 home win (their first win of the season) against Carlisle. It's been a fairly average start to the campaign for Scunthorpe who started with a draw against Newport and a defeat to Crawley. They have also lost to Lincoln on penalties in the EFL Trophy and tasted defeat in the first round of the Carabao Cup losing 2-1 to Port Vale.

Rovers will be looking for their first league win of the season after an encouraging performance against table toppers Cambridge last Saturday when a James Vaughan goal was harshly ruled out for offside denying Rovers all three points. There were goals in midweek however as Rovers won 3-2 against Liverpool U21 with a brace from James Vaughan and a late winner from Stefan Payne.

Due to the current pandemic, supporters are not allowed to attend the match but can watch it on iFollow here -> https://www.tranmererovers.co.uk/ma...ere-rovers-vs-scunthorpe-united-on-03-oct-20/

Match pass is £10 or free for season ticker holders who should have received their code for the game via email.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Dont even know who plays for Scunthorpe, going for home win 1 0

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Yes, I can't see many standout players in Scunthorpe's squad and they were predicted to struggle this season.

Despite the result on Tuesday night, the performance at Cambridge was much better than against Liverpool and I think we will stick to the 451 formation, but perhaps with Woolery starting if he is over his knock. I think the key will be whether we switch to two strikers after 45/60 minutes if we struggle to break through.

In the last two games there have been signs of the team really starting to gel, and I fancy us to win this game.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think the key will be whether we switch to two strikers after 45/60 minutes if we struggle to break through.
That's a good point and I can see this game playing out similar to the Cambridge one where we have a decent amount of possession but struggle to score. I have a feeling Payne will be introduced but it would have to be early than his usual 2 minute cameo to have any kind of impression.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I don't recognise many of their players either. Ex-Rover Devarn Green is in the squad, but rarely features.

It's a home game against weaker opponents than Cambridge and arguably Liverpool kids. If Woolery isn't fit, then we should be looking at starting with 2 up front and building on what's been achieved in the last week.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I’ve voted for a home win as much in hope as conviction, as after results so far, I won’t believe anything about Rovers until I see it. That may sound harsh, but I think it’s the same for most clubs in these strange times. On paper, we probably should win and we certainly need to win soon if we are to develop the momentum to challenge for promotion.

drwhoman

If we score we win I believe. The defence seems to be pretty reliable now the players have settled in. The other end of the pitch is the issue - obvious I know!

ADD

Player
Norwood
If we score we win I believe. The defence seems to be pretty reliable now the players have settled in. The other end of the pitch is the issue - obvious I know!
Cheltenham was only 13 days ago - our defence wasn't so reliable then:)
Scunthrorpe haven't had a great start either however so I will go for a 1-0 win. I would like to see Payne start with Vaughan but I don't expect he will. Woolery might not be risked from the start I suspect.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
If the forecast is right we will need to keep the ball on the floor as much as possible.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
A solid performance dominating possession and running out 2-0 winners. No sendings off, injuries, controversial decisions, own goals or other notable dramas. Typical boring Tranmere … if only!

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
I am going for an optimistic 3-0, with goals from Khan, Vaughan and Payne. 3-0 by half time, so we can all relax for the second half!

Player
aldo
no joint households can meet indoors but 6 dif households can meet less than 2meeters apart from the door outside fkn dumb

Reactions: Boz
Player
Manager
John King
It has been absolutely tipping it down here all day, so it will be a test for the new pitch.

The game definitely would have been off with the old surface.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Thank you Ian for the "light reading" attachment, much appreciated, now lets get those 3 points SWA

Player
Manager
John King
Feeney and Woolery both miss out through injury. A 442 with Vaughan and Payne up front.