• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Scunthorpe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Final game of the season. We lost at Glanford Park 4-2 earlier in the season, in a game where we'd done well until Baxter got sent off with Tiryaki scoring twice. Will he feature this weekend? Unlike the previous time we played Scunny last game, there is relatively little hanging on this. At best we can finish 11th, while we could drop down to 17th depending on results. I'm unsure if 11th is high enough for the seeded half of the league cup draw, but the higher we finish the more money we'll get, which is important in these cash-strapped times.

Team selection will be interesting, as an indicator of who's likely to be staying. My expectation would be that we start with a similar line-up to Colchester, save OFW back between the sticks. Unsure who will be asked to partner Cassidy up front. It's likely that a couple of youngsters will feature from the bench.

Prediction: It's unlikely the visitors will bring many, while the Cup Final following on from the game may see home support dwindle. I would anticipate a crowd of around 4.5k.
Really have no idea about the result, although it's a game we're well capable of winning, last games of the nothing to play for variety can turn up some strange results.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Yes, the away fixture was where it all started to go wrong for Les. The team were on a great run, then twice lost the lead. After that, Les only managed two wins.

Ronnie has said on the OS that Devaney will definitely start. I would also expect Kay to be given a chance and possibly one of the youngsters. However, I think Ronnie knows already who he'll be keeping.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah, I think Ronnie said he has all put decided who will be staying and going and there will be half a dozen new players next season. Devaney is a difficult one. Do you keep him in the hope he's going to have a relatively injury free season because he does have quality provided he stays fit. Or do you not take the risk.

Well, I hope the sun is shining tomorrow on our last game of the season. Let's hope this one has plenty of goals in it like the game earlier on this season.

Enjoy the game and the cup final everyone!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
After all the recent experimentation, I would like to see Ronnie play what he believes is his best side on Saturday and end the season with a convincing performance and a top half finish, after several uexceptional displays. I would imagine he is virtually certain of the players he is going to retain by now, and he has seen everybody other than Raven and Devaney at least once, and he already has substantial knowledge of those players.

Going off topic, I am surprised at the recent talk of a defensive overhaul for next season. There appears to have been a bit of an over-reaction to the recent away defeats, and I still see no reason why a back four of Buchanan-Taylor-Goodison-Holmes could not serve us well again next season. If RM is concerned at a lack of back up in the centre back position that may be more understandable, but it should be borne in mind that although McChrystal was poor on Saturday he was returning after a lengthy lay-off and playing in front of a rooky keeper.

More generally, I am equally surprised at the suggestion of half a dozen changes to the first eleven for next season, as I believe the core of the current squad is adequate at this level, and further instability is not what is needed in the summer.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Tend to agree with RLC. A side which has managed the number of clean-sheets Rovers have aren't major failures defensively. Colchester was a slightly freakish result where Ronnie's experimentation with no defenders on the bench told against us.

Also agree with strongest starting line-up; the youngsters can get a go from the bench if circumstances permit. With that in mind, a bit of a surprise that Devaney's starting, as I feel while a decent player, he's a luxury if we go down the drastically reduced squad route, as very injury-prone.

Status
Not open for further replies.