• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

FA Cup rovers v saints fa cup

Player
aldo
full game on youtube facebook got me beers sent the wife out lol and the little one to bed wonder what the score will be don,t THIN

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It was great to see the full game for the first time. Amazing performance from the lads, really hard to believe that effectively the same team got relegated a few months later and were down at the bottom even when playing Saints.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I will never understand how Aldo could wind the team up to beat Everton and Southampton but allowed them to get relegated without much of a fight. At his best, he was brilliant (getting us to the League Cup final the previous season), but sadly he seemed to run out of steam. In retrospect, it's no surprise he never managed again. But I will always wonder what he could have done with the right assistant and back-up team.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We weren’t a great team that season and a lot of the players weren’t good enough but the cup games were excellent. They lost their focus too as the cup games were a big distraction.

Player
aldo
one thing that don,t change is the amazing support we had and again have. imagine if we had 50000 in a ground it would be amazing

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
We weren’t a great team that season and a lot of the players weren’t good enough but the cup games were excellent. They lost their focus too as the cup games were a big distraction.
I think finances played a part as we lost players like Mahon and Kelly the previous summer but replaced them with people like Jobson and Flynn who were not really up to it. The players that arrived in the January of that season were generally freebies and were not great. Key players like Parkinson, Roberts and particularly Allison also had poor seasons and underperformed. Particularly Allison who had been our saviour the previous season, but whose goals dried up that year. In reality I think we did well to survive at that level for several seasons on a shoestring budget after PJ upped sticks.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It’s hard to remember that much about the season thinking back. I went to an early home game where we beat Gillingham 3-2 but not many others, think Wayne Gill and Sean Flynn made home debuts. Rideout, despite his performance in this game was pretty anonymous otherwise. I thought Sean Flynn was one of our better players but entirely different to Mahon. However the squad still seemed good enough to have made more of a fight of staying up.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
the squad still seemed good enough to have made more of a fight of staying up.
Probably. I think it was the lack of goals that killed us. Our top scorers in the previous season were Allison and Kelly. However, Allison had a poor season and Kelly left. I remember that we were not often battered, but lost a lot of games by narrow margins.