• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Saddlers

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It sounds like Blackett-Taylor's injury is not too bad, which is a positive. He could be back in training next week.

I think he could be a big player for us, and give some much needed pace and cutting edge in the attacking areas.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Miller and Woods were both high risk signings with careers strewn with injury, though Miller had shown some promise in the 1.5 games he managed for us last season. Think Potter less injury prone, but one really bad injury.

Ched Evans is a difficult one. He's now been cleared of all charges faced, but didn't come across well on the facts of the case. I'd rather look elsewhere, but.... we do need another option up front.

Share RLCs hopes for Blackett-Taylor and it's a shame he's missed most of pre-season.

Player
ian goodison
understand what you say about evans boz but on todays showing he,ll be a vast improvement on what we have

Player
aldo
oh well we dont do easy . . but with a limited team and small budget . and a strike force not scoring ok its only pre season we have not scored in 4 of the 7 games . and with several injuries already it could be a long season. . now watch us win 5-0 on saturday

Player
aldo
what does payne look like . the gas fans warned us about him . so can some one give a report on him ????

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I was pleased Payne started the game to get a good look at him but was slightly disappointed to see he was the lone striker. The first half panned out like I had feared. I thought he worked quite hard chasing balls, looking for space. He did have one good chance when through on goal, slightly off to the right, hit a powerful shot that was well saved. From what I can see he has a decent shot on him, however he was far too isolated up there.

We were able to play with one up top for large parts of last season thanks to Norwood's work rate, skill and style of play. I think we will struggle if that is the plan this season, we just haven't got the players to do that. On that showing Payne was no better or worse than the other players out there but was starved of any real great service or opportunity. I was quite impressed with Miller and Mullin in the second half but have serious concerns about Miller's ability to last more than a few games.

Defensively Manny was excellent again and I quite liked George Ray's performance at the back. He showed some excellent touches and tackles and had a much better second half.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Difficult to be objective about the game given the extremely difficult playing conditions. Agree 100% with Ian about Payne - he was totally isolated in the first half but, my goodness, we sorely miss Nors' work-rate. Perhaps Payne could have scored when one-on-one in our only significant effort of the game but he did at least hit the target. Thought Walsall marginally shaded the first half and, frustratingly, we were entirely devoid of any creativity. The team clearly responded to Micky's half-time talk because we came out with more intent in the second half although offered little in the final third until the triple substitution was made around the 70-minute mark. Potter looked much better in a more advanced role when he came on, Miller was again a real handful and Mullin was as industrious as ever. I still don't understand why Micky has never really given Mullin a chance to show what he can do as a lone striker with Jennings playing just off him! But Micky's hand might well be forced now with the injury to Miller. I wager that's his last game in a Rovers shirt (6-month contract). And Caprice's injury also looked nasty (reminded me of when Ellis went down last season). On a brighter note, Sid Nelson slipped into the right back slot admirably and George Ray had a more reassuring game alongside Manny. It clearly hasn't clicked in these pre-season games but at least Micky has probably seen enough to know what his best team is. Roll on next Saturday...

Reactions: Ian

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
It sounds like Blackett-Taylor's injury is not too bad, which is a positive. He could be back in training next week.

I think he could be a big player for us, and give some much needed pace and cutting edge in the attacking areas.

Lets hope so as we need some good news on the injury front

Player
ian goodison
regarding ched evans if our budget is limited then how can we talk about him coming here? he won,t be on peanuts

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Miller apparently done his hamstring bad again, if so that will be him out of the equation.

We have to hope one of Caprice or Woods is available next week or we have no recognised right back

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Miller apparently done his hamstring bad again
That's him done. Such a shame, he looked hungry and we could have done with his muscle up front.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Miller apparently done his hamstring bad again, if so that will be him out of the equation.

We have to hope one of Caprice or Woods is available next week or we have no recognised right back
That's terrible news but what I feared as the TRFC commentators were saying how devastated he seemed... MM was also pretty downbeat I thought in the post match interview... he clearly has little/ no budget left.
What worries me is that we seem to be heading to playing one up front - comments throughout the forums was how isolated Payne was in first half. We could do that successfully due to Norwood's work rate but I don't feel that the other players are capable of that role.
I am trying to stay positive but I fear we are due a very tough start to the season and may need to rely on some January loans to steady the ship..

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I seem to remember our loan activity last season was mainly in August. I am still expecting at least two more loanees.

Player
aldo
6450 sales not bad its gonna be 7500 plus witch is great lets get it on boys . appart from me working . got twitter at the ready