• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Rovers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Rovers travel to the Keepmoat for what, it goes without saying, is our biggest game of the season. Despite the continuing injury problems, we have to go for a win in this game, as anything less than victory and our season will almost certainly be over.

We battered Doncaster at Prenton Park but were denied by an incredible rearguard action, with Rob Jones outstanding at centre back. Donny undeservedly won the game with poacher's efforts from Hume and Paynter, and it seems to be this resilience rather than flowing football that has got them to the top this season. They do, however, have several experienced players who are capable of playing at a higher level than League One.

With the absentees, we really have to hope that Robbo is fit for this one. I am actually quite looking forward to my first visit to the Keepmoat; victory would be a massive shot in the arm for everyone at the club.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Would love us to win but see a 2 0 win to them to finish us off.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I really hope Robbo is fit for this one. We need a bit of spark back and with him back in and the injury to Sidibe we might actually start playing some football on the floor again, where I think we are best. It will bring JLAA into the game and as long as the players are up for it, there's no reason we can't come away with the points.

WildRover

Player
Kevin Gray (ha!)
7-1 to TRFC (Got to have some strands of optimism left...:lol:)

Player
Goodison
Must win game - not much to add apart from that really! Terrible pitch at Donny, makes ours look like the Nou Camp.

Team I would play:

OFW

Kay Goodison Gibson Zoom

Thompson Palmer Power Bell-Baggie

Stockton Akpa-Akpro

I think we need some experience for this game, would play Robinson instead of Bell-Baggie if he's fit. The defence is leaking goals at the moment - hence why I would move it around a bit - we've got nothing to lose now might as well take a risk and go for it.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'd disagree with RTID to the extent that the main problem in recent weeks has been our toothless attack rather than the defence leaking goals, while conceding that if we'd cut out a few of the soft goals let in, Rovers would be in a much healthier position.

I don't expect any defensive changes, although would prefer to see Zoum at left-back, but feel that barring injury McGinty will take that slot for the rest of the season. He looks a decent defender but doesn't give us the same attacking option from deep.

It would be good if Sidibe's absence meant we went back to playing the ball on the deck more, which is how JLAA prefers it. We do need something from Jean Louis, whose dire second half to the season has mirrored Tranmere's. I don't feel that Stockton would be the best option alongside him here and would look to O'Halloran, maybe even Bell-Baggie alongside or in the 'hole' just behind. Even if Robbo returns, I'd question his match-fitness is suffficient to be ready to play there. It doesn't seem that Thompson made a great impact in his loan spell at Rochdale and doubt he'd get further than the bench.

Doncaster robbed us at PP. Rob Jones, who RLC mentions was out injured for a bit, but don't know the current position. Paynter, along with former Rovers hero Iain Hume are threatening up front. They took their time to get going in L1, but are in pole position to go up.

I can't see us getting any more than a draw and we'll have to improve considerably to achieve that.

Player
Goodison
I'd disagree with RTID to the extent that the main problem in recent weeks has been our toothless attack rather than the defence leaking goals, while conceding that if we'd cut out a few of the soft goals let in, Rovers would be in a much healthier position.

I think upfront is a major problem as well, but we don't really have the players to make any significant changes upfront (apart from rotating Stockton and O'Halloran), at the back there are at least a few options.

On the cheerfully named Pompey post-mortem thread some people seemed to be suggesting playing Zoom upfront, jokingly suggesting he could be like Gareth Bale! For me Zoom is a left back, not a left winger, or a striker, or a 2nd striker or anything else!

Zoom's game is all about being solid defensively and making penetrating overlapping runs that drag players away from our midfield. He's at is best coming from deep, not leading the line - he would actually get on the ball more playing at left back. I hope Ronnie can see this as our attack has lost a lot of it's spark with Zoom further forward. (I know he scored twice against Stevenage, but I think that was the exception rather than the norm).

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I agree that Zoum should return to left back for the remainder of the season. Against Stevenage he benefitted from playing against a woeful defence who maintained a high line all game and repeatedly got caught on the counter attack. When opposition teams sit deeper, or even just defend properly, he does not have the natural ability on the ball to play left midfield and his greatest asset - his pace - is wasted.

JLAA worries me greatly at the moment. His goalscoring record before he came to us was extremely poor, and since his partnership with Cassidy broke up he has not remotely looked like scoring on a regular basis. I am fearful that his early season form may have been transitory: it is possible he just benefitted from the very high confidence levels in the team at that time and the presence of Jake. If that is the case, we need to look for a decent, experienced striker in the summer, although it is possible that he is simply suffering the after-effects of injury at this time.

DIW

Player
Goodison
I fully expect Doncaster to win tomorrow.

I am seriously worried they may score a hatful.

Status
Not open for further replies.