• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Bristol Rovers v Rovers

Player
aldo
well on to tuesday. Bristol have made a poor start . so can we get somthing from the game don,t think payne will start i would prob stick with the team that started against Bolton . we need to get a settled team hoping for a narrow win .2-1 with ferry boy and connor 500-600 whites there to drive the lads on

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
One point and no goals so far, think we will get a draw 1 1

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The Gas finished in mid-table last season and this is exactly the kind of away fixture we need to take points from if we are to stay up.

Although Bristol have started the season poorly, I would still go with a 433 / 451 formation with the aim of getting control in midfield and preventing the game from becoming stretched early on. An open 442 would play into the hands of a team that is struggling for confidence and having difficulty scoring goals. I would go with the following side, with Jennings left on the bench for purely tactical reasons:

Davies
Wilson Ray Monthe Ridehalgh
Potter
Banks Perkins
Morris Ferrier CBT

I expect 4-500 Rovers fans to travel and I am hopeful we will get a point at least.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I was on a course with a Pirates fan just before the season started and think it's fair to to say that he wasn't expecting such a poor start. Despite that, this game is going to be a whole lot tougher than the Bolton game and from the manager's post-match comments, he has concerns and there is still a lot of work to be done. I don't recognise many of their current players, though our paths may have crossed with Ed Upson and Liam Sercombe.

I would agree that we need to set up more defensively for this game, but feel uncomfortable if the default position is to drop Connor Jennings. It will be interesting to see if Maddox or Hepburn-Murphy make the bench. I have some reservations about the latter,as the way he got himself sent off v Rochdale showed signs of immaturity.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Unchanged with Hepburn-Murphy replacing Ponticelli on the bench.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Banks sent off now. On the bright side Gilmour might get a look in next game. Just xan-t afford such poor discipline.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The lack of discipline is a real concern. With hindsight, perhaps Banks should have been hooked as he continued to commit fouls after the first booking, though some suggestion one of the bookings to the wrong player? Not watching ifollow, so don't know.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
What's going on? Three reds already this season and Ferrier lucky not too walk the other day.

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
You can take sendings off when necessary but this is a joke! I’m fuming & I didn’t travel! MM needs to cut out this lack of discipline instantly, there’’s passion & then there’s nil brain activity! To think we were cursing Harris for his one ridiculous red at Swindon last season & now this, on a whole new level of stupidity! Gifted 3 points away!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It sounded like we battled quite hard in the second half until Ray gave away a penalty late on.

Player
aldo
oh dear mm has struggled in this lg b4 . we are not a strong team . we are gonna have a very long season . and this needs sorting fast . . take away the Bolton game we have done jack . . and with 3 reds . they need there heads banging togeather . im happy to be away at the mo start my new job on sunday back in town saturday . .

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I was surprised we kept it at two considering we only had nine men so credit to those left on the pitch but sounded like CBT was just stupid and right in front of the ref.

Player
aldo
yes heard that . oh well with no game on saturday . get them working hard . think they need it we had a piss poor pre season . and its not getting better now . oh well im off for a beer by the beach

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
From memory Mellon’s Shrewsbury side in league 1 had a poor disciplinary record. I cannot remember what ours was like last season but this season hasn’t started well.

A disappointing result and with the bury game out of the window, some more lessons to learn

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Seen the footage of both red card incidents. Blackett-Taylor's was stupid, but he got tugged back going to get the ball for a free-kick and the Rovers player should have been booked, while a more competent official than our old refereeing nemesis Gavin Ward might have been on top of things from the off and it might not have happened. Banks seemed to have kept on fouling after the first card so no surprise there. Arguably Micky should have seen the signs before the second yellow.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Frustrating, as we could have got something against an average Bristol side in normal circumstances. Both red cards were the correct decisions but resulted from a succession of decisions going against us from a useless Homer of a referee. I think Banks was unaware he was on a yellow card, as were several other players. We were the better side with nine men but with eleven struggled to turn good approach play into chances. Bristol were much poorer than Dale or Pompey which gives us hope for the rest of the season.

drwhoman

Agree re the discipline but two Aston Villa youngsters sent off so far. What was the education like there? Are these young men up themselves!? And with Payne (not involved here) reportedly being a bit of a prima donna you wonder what we have signed.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
What was so frustrating was that Bristol Rovers were so very poor - but we were poorer on the night. In hindsight, the game was winnable but it was never going to happen with Micky starting with his oh-so-predicable 4-4-1-1, leaving a hard-working and enterprising Ferrier isolated.... yet again!

No meaningful chances created by Rovers in the first half, appalling crossing, a clear lack of organisation at the back (Manny and Wilson in particular), a failure to hold onto the ball, a lack of any creativity and a lack of spirit. This Rovers team is so guileless and spineless. If it wasn't for the opposing team's poor finishing, we would have gone in 3-0 down at half-time.

The two red cards were entirely justifiable despite the ref's otherwise incredulous performance. Banks' second yellow was entirely avoidable. Banks? Irresponsible, inconsistent in passing (that's being charitable), late in tackles (when he makes them), slow (he got absolutely skinned on the flank in the 27th minute to give away a dangerous free kick and go into the book). It's only a pity that he picked up two yellows rather than a straight red - he'll only miss one game rather than three. And will then return as one of Micky's 'favourites'. CBT's sending off was a case of deja vu (Hepburn-Murphy). Ironically, we should have levelled the score in the 71st minute when our gentle giant, Monthe, should have scored with his head when left unmarked on the back post. We did have our best spell when we were down to 9 men. Typical Rovers - too little too late!

It's now time to make wholesale changes in on-field personnel and tactics, giving a chance to the likes of Nelson, Gilmour, Potter and Mullin.

We must live in the present. We are in this division because we achieved two successive promotions on merit. Talk such as "we got promoted a year too early" is utter nonsense. There is no room for nostalgia. Micky needs to fix it... and quickly.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I don't think it matters who we play at the moment, if we ignore the five against the kids, we seem to be having big problems creating chances and putting the ball in the net.

It's still early days so MM has time to make changes.