• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Rochdale

Rovers v Rochdale
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, August 3, 2019 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, August 3, 2019 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
aldo
its nearly hear guys and girls . who has missed that footie kick . im realy looking forward to it . but also a little nervous . as i dont think we are to good up top and need to see the defence settle a little . appart from that i recon a 2-1 last min winner with super Mullin getting both

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Hope you are right, AM. Remember, none of us have seen the lads score since Connor's winner at Wembley. I can't remember a worse pre-season for results - or lack of them.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Not sure what business Dale have done over the summer. Would normally fancy us to beat them. I wonder if MM will bring Dagnall back short term to boost the bench while we catch breath and reset after the injuries. It would be a cheapo while they see if there is better out there that is affordable.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Missing this one as it's my brothers wedding in Gretna ! im going for a 1 0 win with Jennings scoring

ADD

Player
Norwood
Dagnall played this week in a 2-1 win for Bury against Port Vale - sounds like he was very influential... doubt he would come back here TBH

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Thanks ADD. i reckon he needs a shot term fix just to improve bench options while they get their head round the problem. Unless they have the budget and an iron in the fire already

drwhoman

The Guardian pre-season preview does not mention us as promotion or relegation candidates so the writer presumably sees us in the middle somewhere. I hope he is right!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Hope you are right, AM. Remember, none of us have seen the lads score since Connor's winner at Wembley. I can't remember a worse pre-season for results - or lack of them.
I think this season will be a struggle, but I doubt pre-season results will have any bearing on what happens from Saturday onwards.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Not sure what business Dale have done over the summer. Would normally fancy us to beat them. I wonder if MM will bring Dagnall back short term to boost the bench while we catch breath and reset after the injuries. It would be a cheapo while they see if there is better out there that is affordable.
Think a few loans and they've brought in Jimmy Ryan a decent midfielder at this level. They do have something we're lacking, a reliable, consistent goalscorer at this level in Ian Henderson and a number of other players with good experience at this level, including Jimmy McNulty, who had a loan spell with Rovers.

There was talk from Mark Palios of quality loans coming in, but so far no sign of anyone. Throw in our injury problems and things start to look worrying. Rochdale are likely to be in the bottom third, so it's games like this we must be getting something out of.

I'm also missing this one for less exciting reasons than bigmart.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
This is a bellwether fixture really, as Rochdale are a club with a similar budget to us and perennially in the bottom half of League One. I won't be panicking if we fail to win or even lose the game, but we need to be more competitive than we were in last season's friendly, when we were comprehensively outplayed. If we can at least match our opponents, it will give us all confidence for the months ahead. It will be interesting to see whether the absence of the talismanic Keith Hill has adversely affected Dale.

I think the squad as it stands is reasonably strong aside from the strikers, and the bigger concern at the moment is injuries. I get the feeling that one of Woods and Caprice will be fit and it is only Miller and CBT who will definitely miss out.

Subject to any loanees arriving this week, I think we will line up as follows, probably in a 4411 formation:

Davies
Woods / Caprice Ray Monthe Ridehalgh
Potter
Banks Perkins
Morris
Jennings
Payne

Rochdale have decent quality down the spine of their team, and the three standout individuals are those mentioned by Boz above, particularly Henderson.

Despite some anxiety regarding the squad strength, I can't wait for the season to get started.

Prediction: a draw or a narrow Rovers victory in front of 7,500-8,000, with approximately 800-1,000 from Spotland.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Don't know about Woods, but got the impression that Caprice's injury was quite bad.

While my preference would be to start Mullin ahead of Payne because of his battling qualities and workrate, MM will probably go with Payne.

I'm not expecting as big a crowd as RLC, holiday period and unsure how many Rochdale will bring. Around 7k for me.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The Guardian pre-season preview does not mention us as promotion or relegation candidates so the writer presumably sees us in the middle somewhere. I hope he is right!
I would happily settle for 12th place right now. Also on my wish list would be a run in one of the cups, significant new investment in the club and the emergence of at least one of the young pros into the first team squad. Is that too much to ask? :)

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Not sure what to expect this season as I still don't know what the new players are capable of. The friendlies can't give us the answers so onwards and upwards to Sat. I can't wait! Talk of attendances around the 7k mark is great. Shows how much we've come on in the last few years.

Player
aldo
lets start the positive drive . WITH THE BEST FANS IN THE LAND . and super Mullin and super Jennings . we will be ok . mull will get the two on sat im even gonna put a tenner on it

ADD

Player
Norwood
This is a bellwether fixture really, as Rochdale are a club with a similar budget to us and perennially in the bottom half of League One. I won't be panicking if we fail to win or even lose the game, but we need to be more competitive than we were in last season's friendly, when we were comprehensively outplayed. If we can at least match our opponents, it will give us all confidence for the months ahead. It will be interesting to see whether the absence of the talismanic Keith Hill has adversely affected Dale.

I think the squad as it stands is reasonably strong aside from the strikers, and the bigger concern at the moment is injuries. I get the feeling that one of Woods and Caprice will be fit and it is only Miller and CBT who will definitely miss out.

Subject to any loanees arriving this week, I think we will line up as follows, probably in a 4411 formation:

Davies
Woods / Caprice Ray Monthe Ridehalgh
Potter
Banks Perkins
Morris
Jennings
Payne

Rochdale have decent quality down the spine of their team, and the three standout individuals are those mentioned by Boz above, particularly Henderson.

Despite some anxiety regarding the squad strength, I can't wait for the season to get started.

Prediction: a draw or a narrow Rovers victory in front of 7,500-8,000, with approximately 800-1,000 from Spotland.
Good summary RLC - I am also very nervous about squad depth and goalscorers in particular. Ponticelli will not I think feature much and if Payne gets in a huff as he did last season then we have little cover. Difficult to disagree with your starting 11 tho I wonder if Gilmour might get a starting berth? He seems to be playing in a more advanced role this pre- season and been playing well - could link play up to attackers?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think Gilmour will probably be on the bench such are the options we have in midfield.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
I do rate Gilmour and think he could shine at this level. He always seens to find space and pass well and quickly when on the ball. However, as Ian states i think he will be on the bench as Mickey go for something more functional and deem him a bit lightweight for now.