• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Robins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Not great news coming from the camp that McGurk and Akpo could be out injured. Although knowing Ronnie, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Akpo trots out at the start.

Been waiting for this game for a couple of reasons.

1. To avenge the 5-0 battering we received not so long ago
2. I like DiCanio style of play
3. Both teams can score goals

I think this will be a good game of football with both sides really going for it. Swindon play good football and aren't afraid to get forward. They have been creeping up the league hot on our heels and with their impressive +30 goal difference, we must be wary but also positive in our approach.

Win, we stay top. If Swindon win, they'll be just 4 points behind us with 2 games in hand.

Grab your coat, scarf and gloves and get yourselves down to Prenton Park this Saturday to cheer on the lads! =D>

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
What's the risk of it being called off; snow forecast for tomorrow aft?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
What's the risk of it being called off; snow forecast for tomorrow aft?

Difficult to call. The gardens near me are not frozen at the moment but the temperature is going well below zero tonight, and there is still a light covering of snow. With heavy rain forecast to immediately follow the snow tomorrow night the biggest risk is probably a waterlogged as opposed to a frozen pitch.

I agree with Ian that the injuries are a big blow. Although Baggie is on paper as good as McGurk, Adam has played a major role in our recent victories and Abdulai has no match fitness to speak of. Akpro was in inspired form at Brentford and is irreplaceable; hopefully Ronnie's remarks are a smokescreen, but if not I would like to see Amoo and Stockton start up front.

Despite the weather, hopefully we will get a 7-8,000 gate for what is surely our biggest home game of the season so far. Win and we go nine points clear of third place, albeit having played more games than the teams below us.

An incredibly tough game which could go either way, but if we get a performance to match last Saturday three points will be ours.

tea for two

Player
johnny morrissey
i hope tranmere can win this game weather permitting.both sides are in form so it should be a cracking game.i hope akpro is fit to play.it was a good goal from adam mcgurk last saturday at Brentford lets hope he can start scoring a few at Prenton park.the gate should be good hopefully around 7-8000 hopefully.:whistle:

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
I was going to go to this, however I'm glad it's been postponed. It gives us time to get Wallace, JLAA and McGurk fit and if other games go ahead it will allow the table to sort itself out.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Gutted but Gray has a point. Prob for the best.

Player
Liam Palmer
Yep, drag 'em up here on a cold Tuesday night. We'll have our whole squad available and we'll pump 'em!

Plus I couldn't go tomorrow, so that's the real reason I'm happy it's off!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Even better news is that Donny aren't playing till next Saturday, so we stay top until at least then.

Player
Nixon
is only good thing about the match not being on is that I get an extra week to learn the words to Forever In Blue Jeans :-D

Player
Manager
John King
The only problem comes on 12th February when Doncaster play their game in hand and will be quite likely to knock us off top spot.

But at this stage in the season I suppose it is the points total we have accumulated and the gap to third place that is everything, rather than being first or second.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Yep, drag 'em up here on a cold Tuesday night. We'll have our whole squad available and we'll pump 'em!

Plus I couldn't go tomorrow, so that's the real reason I'm happy it's off!

A lot of water under the bridge since this thread was started for the postponed game and things seem a lot less rosy now.

It will be interesting to see how Ronnie approaches this with a threadbare squad, against a side who were able to put 5 past Rovers in December. I don't think Swindle are invincible, they are unpredictable, like their manager. Although the quality is arguably better, they don't have a particularly large squad to choose from, with certain loans being delayed pending their takeover.

For me, this needs to be a side selected to stop the rot, if we could get a draw out of the game, on current form, that would not be a bad result. I'd look at filling the midfield, protecting the somewhat fragile back-four. My preference would be a line-up something like this; none of the striking options stand out.

OFW
Backayogo Daniels Taylor Kay
Robinson Harrison Power Corry Bell-Baggie
Stockton/McGurk/Amoo

Player
Manager
John King
I agree that a draw would be a reasonable result on Tuesday, although it would put a lot of pressure on us to win the 'easier' games which follow, and we all know how that can turn out.....

The formation and team selection are very difficult. As suggested above, I would be tempted to play five in the middle given the absence of Palmer, as I am not sure of the defensive capabilities of Power and Corry. However, the 4-5-1 formation has only worked once this season (at Sheffield United) and tactical flexibility is not really our strong point.

I would be tempted to go for a 4-4-1-1 something like this:

OFW
Holmes / Kay Taylor Daniels Zoum
Bell Baggie Power Corry McGurk / Robbo
Robbo / McGurk
OHalloran / Amoo

Although we are weakened for this game, Swindon also lost Ritchie and Hollands in January and are not flying like they were a month ago.

A victory would be a massive and timely shot in the arm.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A point would be a really good result but with the players we have out i fear a loss 2 1

DIW

Player
Goodison
I was dreading last Friday and dreading this one even more. A good start would be to keep 11 players on the pitch.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'm dreading this game. If we can keep 11 players on the pitch, and give it a real go, I think we could just scrape a win. We really need it!

If the players put in a below par performance, we'll lose. Mentally, this is a game we have to win. I hope they give it a go.

Player
Liam Palmer
Despite the almost suicidal doom-and-gloom, it's bonkers to think a win would put us back in the top two (top even if Crawley do us a favour). The world would look a lot, lot sweeter if we could somehow scrape a victory. I think we will. 1-0 Rovers a McGurk 30-yarder, top corner, in front of the Kop, his shirt comes off, the crowd dive onto the pitch, the referee blows for full-time.......

Player
Manager
John King
Rovers a McGurk 30-yarder, top corner, in front of the Kop, his shirt comes off, the crowd dive onto the pitch, the referee blows for full-time.......

Sadly not, as Adam joins our lengthening injury list. :-( Out with a torn hamstring. Holmes is also out with concussion.

The way things are going we will struggle to get eleven on the pitch, let alone fill the subs bench.

Knowing Tranmere though, we probably will go and win this game. :-#

Status
Not open for further replies.