• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Ravens

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The officials are dreadful at this level but no point harping on about them. The positives like RLC mentions are the first half in which we were excellent as mentioned above.

I was also very impressed with Dunn and Buxton who were excellent on the ball. I'd be happy if we saw that level of performance every week. The side looked very balanced.

Although you can't predict events like today, the lesson to learn is to put away your chances when you get them. That game should have been dead and buried by half time.

Stickman

Player
Aldo
Should have been 5-0 at half time but the sending off changed the game. However, I think one or two people need to take the blinkers off. Buxton's challenge was reckless and always had a chance of ending with a red card. Looked like a two-footer from where I was sitting (also about 10 yards away). Was it really necessary with us being 2-0 up at the time? Can't believe that so many applauded him off the pitch.

On a different issue, Wallace looks finished to me. I watched him closely today and his legs have gone. We are carrying him.

All is not lost. Still an awful long way to go.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I sit in the 4th row of the JK and it did not look two-footed to me. There was some excessive force, but I think a booking would have sufficed. The gamesmanship of their players, surrounding the ref, influenced the decision I think. However, I agree it was unnecessary for Buxton to take the risk with the challenge.

Aside from the red card, if Cook's goal was allowed to stand we would have won the game regardless of going down to ten men.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I share Ian and RLCs frustration as to how events panned out. The disallowed goal was clearly wrong, Bromley defender blocking off their keeper. Would Jake Kirby have finished the one on one that Norwood put at the keeper, I wonder. The red card incident took place the opposite side of the pitch, so hard to tell, the lad sat next to me, who's a qualified ref, said it was clear the ref had decided to go for red straight off. Would need to see the Tollit penalty incident again, not clearcut from my viewpoint. It also looked like a foul before Wallace's match-ending injury, but the referee played on for over a minute.

One of the things which has bugged me is Micky's unbalanced selections for the bench. Today his luck ran out. Sutton/Vaughan would have reduced the need for playing out of position and the side we finished with were ill-equipped to defend a lead.

Two other points of concern; McNulty, Wallace went off injured, Tollit also struggling at the end as well as Buxton's ban. Lowest league gate of the season I think, despite a respectable 74 Bromley fans in that number.

Player
Manager
John King
The attendance is not a concern. Unattractive opposition, a freezing day and our last couple of home performances have been poor. Fans will return if we are in the play-off mix.

Player
Manager
John King
One of the things which has bugged me is Micky's unbalanced selections for the bench. Today his luck ran out. Sutton/Vaughan would have reduced the need for playing out of position and the side we finished with were ill-equipped to defend a lead.

There was still a massive element of ill-fortune involved. A defender and a midfielder injured, another defender sent off.

The general pattern at home (York, North Ferriby, Macclesfield) has been breaking down stubborn defences, which is why MM picks attacking benches.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The attendance is not a concern. Unattractive opposition, a freezing day and our last couple of home performances have been poor. Fans will return if we are in the play-off mix.
About 400 down on what I thought and 600 on your prediction. I'm not so sure, we are in the play-off mix atm!

Player
Manager
John King
It was a bog-standard attendance for us against one of the poorer sides.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Carthorse, it's not a case of taking the blinkers off. I genuinely didn't think it was a sending off.

We won't catch Lincoln as they are too consistent, so we better brace ourselves for the playoffs.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
There was still a massive element of ill-fortune involved. A defender and a midfielder injured, another defender sent off.

The general pattern at home (York, North Ferriby, Macclesfield) has been breaking down stubborn defences, which is why MM picks attacking benches.
I accept it's a risk management exercise, though my view has always been that MM could minimise that risk by having as wide a range of subs as a quartet of outfield players will allow. Think I've been consistent in putting this viewpoint forward here.

Wallace's track record suggests he's likely to pick up an injury. McNulty went off ill, so if he'd been exhibiting any symptoms before the game, there should have been a replacement on the bench to cover that contingency.

Stickman

Player
Aldo

Depends how you interpret the guidance below I think.

I really wouldn't give up on automatic promotion just yet. Far stranger things have happened.

"SERIOUS FOUL PLAY
A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.
Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play."

Player
Manager
John King
That definition is very subjective though. It is really down to the common sense of the referee (unfortunately, he did not have any).

I don't think the safety of the Bromley player was endangered by the challenge.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
While from my vantage point at the opposite side of the pitch didn't suggest the serious foul play box was ticked, the referee was closer. Due to the subjective nature of the test, I'd very much doubt an appeal would succeed.

Player
Manager
John King
Richard Garnett (Globe reporter) has seen video footage of the red card incident and has tweeted that it was not even a foul.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Another frustrating home performance. I'll try not to repeat others but first half we should have had at least 4. If we'd got a third it would game been game over,

The sending off was a turning point but injuries to Big Mac and Wallace disrupted things too.

Why we have 2 strikers on the bench I.e 50 percent of the outfield subs when we only play 2 up front anyway was wrong. That said, no one could predict how things would pan out, but I just think having 2 strikers as subs is a luxury we can't afford. It didn't look a red card from the kop but why give the ref a decision to make by going to ground? Buxton was very good apart from that.

I never really thought we would go up automatically but will take the play offs now if offered. But not confident we'd beat the likes of daggers.

Maybe we should focus on the FA trophy instead lol!

The likes of Eastleigh who we play next Saturday are chasing us so we can't afford to lose that.

Footnote: a goal for Connor Jennings today.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Richard Garnett (Globe reporter) has seen video footage of the red card incident and has tweeted that it was not even a foul.
It will have to show that there is no doubt the referee got it wrong for the red card to be overturned. Norwood's against North Ferriby wasn't.

Unlike the Chester game, when we also went down to ten men and threw away a two goal league, it really felt like we were robbed in this one. Bromley had hardly threatened before the sending off. The two goals they scored were decent balls into our box and attacked by players running into the box, who weren't tracked.

Buxton, prior to the sending off, had a decent home debut. In the first half, the ref seemed to give him almost everything. There were a couple of occasions when he tended to do a McNulty and over-elaborate at the back, fortunately not costly.

Dunn was a bit disappointing for me, given his Premiership pedigree. He worked hard,had one effort go close, but didn't really do anything out of the ordinary. Hopefully, he will develop confidence and improve his understanding with team-mates given more game time. Not a patch on Tollit today. However for home games, I hope that MM sticks to the 442 with two out wide.

Sparky, don't think Jennings scored today,it was Kingsley James according to BBC.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Cheers Boz. During the match the livescore app said Connor scored but must have been wrong.

Agree about dunn. Flattered to deceive a bit, lots of huff and puff but can't remember many great crosses etc. Early days with us but whether he is any better than the likes of Dawson remains to be seen.

Hope Wallaces injury isn't a bad one. For his sake of nothing else

Player
Manager
John King
I don't expect that the red card will be rescinded, just pointing out that it was a poor decision.

Having had some time to reflect, there were a number of positives today:

That first half was fantastic, just the kind of football the fans want to see at Prenton Park. The football was exciting and we put a mediocre side to the sword (at that stage). The team looked the most balanced it had in years, with genuine width and genuine quality in most positions: Hughes, Wallace, Tollitt, Cook, Norwood, Dunn, Buxton. The quality of balls into the box was greatly improved, with both Buxton and Ridehalgh impressing in that regard. Obviously we now lose Buxton for three games, but with that formation and line-up we seem to have found a formula for beating the lesser sides at home when they come to narrow the pitch and frustrate.

In addition, I thought Norwood had his best game for a while, albeit he missed further chances. He seems to be developing an understanding with Cook and on a couple of occasions they linked up to great effect.

I thought the atmosphere was also better than it has been for months. The crowd responded to our positive play in the first half and really got behind the players when it became a rear guard action after the red card.

Today might be one of those days when, despite the short term disappointment, we actually found a successful formula which will serve us well in the months ahead.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes I too thought the balance was good. The amount of crosses and balls into the box, and quality ones at that was refreshing to see.

Easy pickings for Cook who I believe would have got his hat-trick if not for the sending off.

The numpty ref got bullied into that decision.

I'm still a little bit annoyed that we fell back so deep that we invited trouble. Inderstandably the opposition are going to have a go but even with ten men, that doesn't mean you can't pass a ball and keep possession.

It's happened time and time again over the years and it never ends well.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Agree about Norwood. His work rate was very good and I still think he offers much more in open play than mangan.

Hopefully he'll start banging them in soon. Cookie also put a real shift in