• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Ravens (Bromley)

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Typical that I miss what sounds like the best home performance of the season, thanks for the reports.

How did the midfield pairing of Harris and Maynard fare? It will an interesting dilemna for Brabin; bring back Norwood and Jennings or stick with today's line-up.

Generally, I haven't thought the referees have been vastly worse at National League level, but have seen some negative comment about today's official. Should Scott Davies have been sent off for handling outside the area and was the red card for the Bromley player harsh?

I did not have the greatest view, but it seemed to me that Davies was outside of the area and should have gone. However, credit to him for being alive to the danger and commanding his 18 yard box; I agree with Sparky that his all round game has been superb in recent weeks.

Personally, I would bring both Jennings and Norwood back for Tuesday night. The midfield pairing of Maynard and Harris worked really well, with Harris covering Lois when he made his surges into the opposing half. However, I think that pairing is better suited to home games against the lesser sides, whereas I think we need Jennings' composure away to Wrexham, who are decent in midfield and will have a lot of the ball. Similarly, I think Norwood has a better all round game than Margetts and is better suited to Tuesday's game.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
My view from the kop of the Davies incident wasn't great but I too thought he had come out of his box. That said, very few of their players appealed and the linesman would have had a decent view. Could have been a turning point though. Ex rover Ben Chorley was having a moan to the ref at half time about it.

In my opinion Jenno has to come back into the side as he has been brilliant in recent weeks. Maynard did well but our first choice middle pair in a 4-4-2 is Jay and Jenno. Lois will naturally be disappointed but is a good option off the bench.

One option would be to stick with Maynard too playing him just off a single striker given its a tough away game. But as Wrexham have conceded 3 today and we looked very sharp, let's go with 4-4-2 again.

RLC makes a valid point about Norwoods all round game being better than Margetts. Given we're away from home it may make sense to bring Norwood back in.

drwhoman

Nice to get a good win and for supporters to be able to debate who should play in the next game! A long time since we could do that!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Interesting comments in Brabin's press conference where he seems to imply a player might have been coming in if Margetts had not performed so well today. I wonder if the Ryan Lowe deal is now on ice ?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I had a feeling we might rise to the occasion and it appears we did. Thanks for the reports everyone. As a measure of how much we have improved, by the first weekend in October we have already won as many home league games as in the whole of last season. It's now eight games unbeaten, three wins on the bounce, two braces, two clean sheets against teams which have scored seven in one match recently (Bromley two weeks ago and Cheltenham today). When was the last time ANY of those things happened to Rovers? It sounds like today's show was even more impressive than last week. We are becoming more of a settled team, but despite that, when players get injured (before or during a match) their deputies step up and the change is seamless. Roll on Tuesday!

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Superb result, it's nice to come away from a game having play so well and scoring a hatful of goals. Great performance and with the wide two of Mekki and Dawson it really makes a difference to our style of play. The ball is no longer pumped down the middle. We are able to spread the ball around the field and really do some damage to our opponents. I thought they all played well yesterday but I agreed with the sponsors MOTM Jay Harris. I thought he was excellent in midfield and really broke down their play in the middle. He was at their heels all game and took the ball of our opponenents on numerous occasions. Could be questioned he shone more without Jennings in the team but could be just a coincidence.

I thought Bronley were poor to be honest. Had a few chances early on which Davies dealt with well but after that it was all Rovers. The second goal killed it for them and they just collapsed from that point. Their defence was awful and to nullify their most dangerous player (no 18) the match was only going to end one way. They got frustrated towards the end and brought on some big lumps to try and mix it up a little but had no effect apart from one of them getting sent off.

You wonder how poor this league is if Bromley can win six in a row and score seven against Torquay!

This is now our best form of the season and we really seem to be clicking into gear. Forwards banging them in full of confidence, defence remaining solid conceding little and now we are in touching distance of FGR who were 10/12 points clear only a few weeks ago. Tues should be interesting.