• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

EFL Trophy Rovers v Posh Pizza Cup

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Game against our old cup nemesis. A few weeks ago, progressing in this would have probably been seen as important, but with the improved league form it becomes less so. I don't think Keith Hill will choose to throw the towel in entirely, so still expecting a fairly strong line up. Expecting starts for Murphy, Ridehalgh, Ray, O'Connor, Morris, Lloyd and Kirby, if he's not cup-tied. The big decision will be up front. If Ferrier's not an option for whatever reason, then given Jolley's cup-tied and Burton, if available, is probably returning from a covid absence, we may have to look at starting Vaughan or deploying Woolery in a more central striking role. all could change of course depending on last minute deadline day moves.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I largely agree with the changes suggested by Boz above. I would be amazed if Vaughan plays - the same goes for Clarke, Spearing and Feeney - and I think Woolery will play centrally in a front three if no other strikers are available.

Peterborough are not in great form at the moment, but you would assume their second string is stronger than ours.

This is the furthest we have progressed in this competition since 2008-9, when an Ian Thomas-Moore wonder goal was not enough and we were knocked out by Scunthorpe. It would be great to progress but, given the ridiculously heavy schedule, the league is very much the priority.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'm sure Keith knows that we are just two games away from another Wembley appearance, so I follow Boz's logic. If we win, we will have just one extra fixture to fit in during the regular season, so the burden is not great. Now all the U21 sides have gone and the competition is now kosher, I think we should get fully behind the lads.

One of my proudest moments as a Rovers fan was seeing JK's team win this cup at the old Wembley in 1990. It was something I thought I'd never see. We are a bit blasé nowadays about Prenton Park South.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
I only have a degree of enthusiasm for this competition now, because the under 21 teams have been eliminated and it has in some sense reverted to its original purpose.

However, I am still utterly opposed to the competition in its current format and the Premier League's attempt to use it as a Trojan horse to push B teams in to the Football League.

I have seen every game we have ever played at Wembley, but I am not sure I would want to attend the final of this competition.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
And also even if we got to Wembley would we be able to attend? In all likelihood the answer is no so if I’m being totally honest, even for selfish reasons, I won’t be too upset if we lose especially if it means we can concentrate on the league which is the obvious priority

Alun

Player
Eddie Dagger Roberts
I'm sure Keith knows that we are just two games away from another Wembley appearance, so I follow Boz's logic. If we win, we will have just one extra fixture to fit in during the regular season, so the burden is not great. Now all the U21 sides have gone and the competition is now kosher, I think we should get fully behind the lads.

One of my proudest moments as a Rovers fan was seeing JK's team win this cup at the old Wembley in 1990. It was something I thought I'd never see. We are a bit blasé nowadays about Prenton Park South.
I was at Wembley that day, beating Bristol Rovers 2- !, Ian Muir scoring the winner , sadly returning to Wembley the following week and getting beat in the old third division, play offs, if I remember rightly by Notts county, the following year doing the opposite losing in the final of the Leyland Daff after extra time to Birmingham and returning a week later to beat Bolton, to gain promotion again after extra time. Seeing Tranmere winning a trophy and also promotion to the then second division, something I thought I would never see.. Good times to be a Rovers fan

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
And also even if we got to Wembley would we be able to attend? In all likelihood the answer is no so if I’m being totally honest, even for selfish reasons, I won’t be too upset if we lose especially if it means we can concentrate on the league which is the obvious priority
Fans will not be allowed in to the final.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah, I'd look for squad rotation on this one. There is no point risking injury. Our priority should be the league now.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I dont think there will be too much rotation as we are only 2rounds from Wembley.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
BB80F480-748F-42F9-AD42-9C87944A3106.png

Player
Manager
John King
All the big guns have been rested as anticipated, and David Nugent does not feature either. It will be interesting to see how the fringe players get on.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Assume Lloyd will be up front with support from Morris, Kirby and Lewis. The lesser spotted mark Ellis is on the bench