• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Port Vale

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Port Vale

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Port Vale
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, February 19, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, February 19, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Feels like a defeat. A real shame as some good performances from the likes of Warrington, OConnor and McDonald. The players looked gutted at the end and Micky will have a job lifting them after that.

Was it tactically an issue? Did we go too defensive and invite them on to us when we could have gone for a second goal? Easy to say that but they brought extra strikers on so we needed reinforcements. Nevitt worked hard but never looks like scoring. Morris was ineffective.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought it was a good performance and we deserved a victory. The game was tight but we had shown more creativity, created the better chances, and Doohan had nothing to do until stoppage time. However, the late equaliser was absolutely sickening and I feel for the players after that.

We did not sit on a one nil lead, as some people are claiming. Vale did not have any concerted pressure until the final twenty minutes, and even then they had not broken us down once prior to the cross which resulted in the goal. Tactically we did not do a great deal wrong and in isolation a draw against one of the stronger sides would not have been a disaster. However, the manner of the equaliser is very tough to take.

I thought we played much better football than in the previous two defeats and the ball stayed on the deck a lot more. Nevitt and Hemmings worked hard and linked the play well, Morris was excellent, and the range of passing from Warrington was superb. The aggression and skill he showed in the build up to the goal was fantastic.

It is difficult time for us at the moment, but we were better today and we just need to come through the next couple of difficult away games still in touch with the top three.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Did we go too defensive and invite them on to us when we could have gone for a second goal?
I'd say so yes. Micky was screaming at them to get forward but I don't know if there is a phycological issue where the players feel the need to drop back so deep they are inviting pressure on them. Always a risky tactic when you are only one goal ahead.

I agree with RLC that we played better football than the last two games but I do not think we are ruthless enough. The first half was pretty even but we had pretty much all of that second half but did not punish them enough.

If we do not score more than one, we will always be fearful of the sucker punch and it happened today. It does feel like a loss when you concede so late. We have to start picking up points now as 1 in 9 is pretty poor.

Player
Manager
John King
I'd say so yes. Micky was screaming at them to get forward but I don't know if there is a phycological issue where the players feel the need to drop back so deep they are inviting pressure on them. Always a risky tactic when you are only one goal ahead.
We were still well on top in the ten to fifteen minutes after the goal. We did not sit back after scoring. However, in the last twenty minutes they made tactical changes, bringing on Proctor and Amoo in addition to Wilson. That forced us to defend.

There are two teams in the game and sometimes you have to respond to the opposition.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Trying to be positive Warrington put in his best display and thank god OConnor is fit. We’re still second in the league and three points ahead of the play offs.

Player
ian goodison
agree about it feeling like a defeat should have been well in front and with their only chance they score, to be honest I thought 0-0 was written all over it, 2 points from 12 is really shocking if we have sights on promotion, hope I,m wrong but can see a mid-table finish maybe just a reaction from todays result

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
However, in the last twenty minutes they made tactical changes, bringing on Proctor and Amoo in addition to Wilson. That forced us to defend
Yes, but i thought we went too deep and got punished for it. It's happened many times before so it's not a one-off. We should have kept the ball better and showed some composure. All that work we did in the second half which I thought we were good value for most of it was wasted and we dropped two valuable points.

Player
Manager
John King
Yes, but i thought we went too deep and got punished for it. It's happened many times before so it's not a one-off. We should have kept the ball better and showed some composure. All that work we did in the second half which I thought we were good value for most of it was wasted and we dropped two valuable points.
You have to go deep and defend if the opposition put three strikers on and take risks to throw men forward. It has not happened many times before this season, because this is the first late equaliser we have conceded, and we have rarely conceded a winning position.

You can argue the failure to score a second goal cost us, but there was not anything wrong with the tactical approach.

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
I’m with RLC on this one and thought it was a much better performance with plenty of intensity from the lads. I’m far from a rose-tinted glasses supporter and am critical if I feel it’s deserved. We’re all hugely disappointed in the final outcome but, based on today, give me our style of football over Vale’s any day of the week. Really felt for the lads at the end as I thought the three points would have been deserved and you couldn’t criticise anyone for not giving 100%. Much quicker at moving the ball and getting it forward and some nice phases of play. We go again and today has actually given me more confidence that we can still do this.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It has not happened many times before this season
I was not clear. I did not mean this season, I meant over the years watching Tranmere. For me, it is a probem that has surfaced for many years watching Rovers. We will have to agree to disagree on this one as I thought they could have managed the game better in the final 15.

Player
Manager
John King
I was not clear. I did not mean this season, I meant over the years watching Tranmere. For me, it is a probem that has surfaced for many years watching Rovers. We will have to agree to disagree on this one as I thought they could have managed the game better in the final 15.
It is a completely different group of players this season, who have generally been very good at managing games, so I don't think previous seasons are relevant.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
It is rapidly falling put of our own hands to make the top 3 and we can't keep thinking teams will continue to drop points for us to make the top 3.

We are not ruthless enough, 2 wins in 7 is not play off form never mind top 3.

Player
Manager
John King
We are in a period of poor form, but it won't last forever. As I said previously, in isolation a draw today is not a disastrous result.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
On a positive note, we did do better than FGR today.

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
I wouldn’t class that as poor form today as the performance was far from poor. Poor result (even that would be harsh) might be more apt, but as you say, not disastrous.

Player
Manager
John King
I wouldn’t class that as poor form today as the performance was far from poor. Poor result (even that would be harsh) might be more apt, but as you say, not disastrous.
Yes, I was referring to the (relatively) poor recent run of results, not today's performance.

Player
Manager
John King
Most of us thought the same last season, it just feels like it again
Different manager and different squad of players, so last season is irrelevant. We may or may not be promoted, but it is the next thirteen games that matter, not the results from March and April 2021.