• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Port Vale

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Port Vale

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Port Vale
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, February 19, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, February 19, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I still wonder if we’ll have enough goals to go up. jolley is still inexperienced, nevitt hasn’t got many, glatzel has his injuries and Hemings has played in 8 games and only scored in 1 of them. Not being critical as they don’t exactly have an abundance of chances created for them. Our clean sheet record so far will be tested soon as we’re playing the strongest teams over the coming weeks and our record against them this season is poor.
The fact that we’ve only scored 10 goals in 16 away games is a problem. Things will be ok if our defensive record so far stands up to the better teams we’re soon to be playing but time will tell over the coming weeks

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I find this game quite a difficult one to call. Rovers need to get back on track after a couple of disappointing away days. While Vale are in reasonable form, their manager Darrell Clarke is on leave after a family bereavement. Under those circumstances, you'd expect his team to go all out to get a result, but a question of how well will the stand-in boss Andy Crosby cope taking over the helm?

Team selection is also up in the air. Will Nevitt and O'Connor be back in contention? Personally, I still think it's worth trying Hemmings as a lone striker with a trio of attacking players behind, but Micky may stick with a 442.

A word about Charlie Jolley. I'm quite surprised at some of the negativity about Charlie on here. He scored at Oldham on his return to the first team and has picked up a few more goals since, up to the Rochdale game, which is only just over a month ago. Since then a bit of a wobble. At Pools on Tuesday he saw a lot of the ball, but it just wasn't sticking for him. Very much a work in progress, but enough encouraging signs not to write him off just yet. If we are playing 2 up front and Glatzel remains unavailable, then irrespective of their relative positions in the striker hierarchy, I feel Hemmings-Jolley offers more variety than Hemmings-Nevitt.

Looking at the Vale forum they seem fairly confident, though almost as concerned their ex-chairman Norman Smurthwaite is sponsoring the game. I won't be there tomorrow, but hoping it's a return to the form of the Swindon win.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Nevitt in for Jolley. Like boz id have stuck with Charlie alongside Hemmings but hopefully proven wrong. Thankfully OConnor starts

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Good to see O'Connor's return, as Foley looked a little jaded at Pools. Nevitt provides a more physical presence up front, but Hemmings in particular deals best with balls on the deck to run onto and we need to cut out the aimless punts forward.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Nevitt in for Jolley. Like boz id have stuck with Charlie alongside Hemmings but hopefully proven wrong. Thankfully OConnor starts
Maybe it was right to play Nevitt an a heavy pitch. And he'll be on a high after winning L2 goal of the month. If not, bringing on Jolley as a fresh pair of legs is a good Plan B.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Fairly even half. Some half chances for both sides. Hawkes missing a great one for rovers. OConnor and Warrington doing well against a physical vale side, need more from our creative players as I can see us not scoring again

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A draw at home is of little use, need to win this

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It sounds like Rovers have had the better chances but need to put one of them away. Hoping for a more fruitful second half.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The dangerous proctor on at half time for the visitors

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Fantastic goal. Great work from Warrington in the build up and well taken by hawkes. Need another clean sheet

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Depressing, another huge blow to top 3 hopes we simply don't score enough to go up automatically

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Will await the match reports, but it feels like a loss conceding so late. The way the other L2 games went mean we haven’t conceded ground immediately but…

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Will await the match reports, but it feels like a loss conceding so late. The way the other L2 games went mean we haven’t conceded ground immediately but…
It feels all like last season, failing to go for and get a second goal bites us on the arse we are stumbling badly forget we are 2nd unless something changes top 3 highly unlikely to happen

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Depressing, another huge blow to top 3 hopes we simply don't score enough to go up automatically
My thoughts exactly. Over the course of the game we didn’t create enough and arguably a draw was a fair result. We just don’t score enough goals