• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Port Vale

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Port Vale

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Port Vale
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, February 19, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, February 19, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Tranmere are looking to shake off a disappointing week after two straight defeats when they take on The Valiants at Prenton Park on Saturday afternoon. There are quite a few injury concerns ahead of the game with Spearing, O'Connor, Nevitt and Glatzel all doubtful.

Vale are unbeaten in five and are looking to climb into the top six. They are currently 9th on 44 points, 11 behind Tranmere but a win would put them well in the promotion mix. There should be a good atmosphere at Prenton Park as the visitors look to bring over 1000 fans to Prenton Park having sold their initial allocation of 900 but could be without their manager Darrell Clarke due to a family bereavement.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Wonder if there is any doubt of the game going ahead if storm damage happens at some point tomorrow

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We really need to win this, it would leave them comfortably behind us and keep us in the top 3. Not sure if we will have any players back, hoping for a win but think likely be a draw.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Wonder if there is any doubt of the game going ahead if storm damage happens at some point tomorrow
Yes, the pitch will be fine but it is perfectly possible that a bit of the main stand will blow off. Hopefully not.

Player
ian goodison
maybe the game plan (tongue in cheek) is aim for the play-offs give us an extra couple of games and a great day out at Wembley

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
From a purely selfish perspective I hope it isn't postponed due to finding it more difficult to attend on a school night and having the weekend planned etc.. However, as far as the team goes a postponement may give a little bit of short term respite and assist with the injury situation. If anybody sees or hears a silhouetted figure hanging precariously from a rope attached to the main stand carrying a toolbox and cursing in Scottish dialect, you may be able to guess who...

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
If anybody sees or hears a silhouetted figure hanging precariously from a rope attached to the main stand carrying a toolbox and cursing in Scottish dialect, you may be able to guess who...
Now I know who scaled the floodlights all those years ago! :lol: :laugh:

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
Micky said in his interview that Nevitt trained today, and O'Connor might be available at the weekend. Spearing and Glatzel both still out as expected.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It would be good to get O'Connor back but missing Spearing and Glatzel will still dent us.

Player
Manager
John King
Vale were in an excellent position prior to Christmas, scoring a lot of goals and looking prime candidates for automatic promotion. They have got a decent squad, and two good strikers in Wilson and Proctor, and a good manager in Darryl Clarke, However, they were seriously hit by Covid and injuries and their form slumped for several weeks, albeit their fans seemed to be more understanding of their absences than some of our supporters after a couple of defeats, and Clarke was under no real pressure.

In the last month their form has turned round again, and they are currently unbeaten in five. It will be a tough game, but we need to grind out a victory by whatever means to get back on track.

If he is available I would expect Nevitt to partner Hemmings up front. If he is not, Micky might change formation to a 4231 as Jolley has looked well out of sorts in recent weeks. Hopefully we will see better performances from the creative players like Morris and Hawkes.

We have sold 6,000 tickets already, including 1,300 to Vale, so it will be a decent gate if the game does go ahead.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Critical game - yes I know the season is not won or lost on Saturday but lose again and doubts will undoubtedly intensify. Really have to get something from the game and ideally a win - if we coupled that with a performance despite the likely conditions so much better!
Would be good if as seems likely Nevitt is available and even better if O'Connor is. We should not need to be relying on Nevitt this season in reality but I suspect Jolley was a bit of a flash in the pan with those 2 early goals against Rochdale (who hadn't played in 4 weeks) maybe colouring some people's judgement and I also expect Nevitt to replace him as second CF if we stay 442.
That said I wonder even if Nevitt is fit whether MM will go 4231 against Vale who as RLC points out have found improved form and who are also in a bit of a false position given they have games in hand over all the teams above them (4 games in hand over us!). He could always then switch back to 442 with Nevitt coming on if that isn't working?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I’m watching the weather for personal reasons too as I’ve entered a local half marathon on Sunday. Hopefully Eunice will have gone, but there still may be heavy showers.

Player
Manager
John King
I am not sure I would describe Jolley as a flash in the pan. All of his early performances were good, the best probably being away at Exeter, but it is common for youngsters to have peaks and troughs in form. I still think he looks more of a natural goalscorer than Nevitt.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I’m a bit concerned about tomorrow’s game. Vale have a decent record against the teams above them and our record when we have a decent crowd in isn’t as good as it could be. A defeat tomorrow and that’ll be 3 on the bounce

Player
Manager
John King
I don't think there is any statistical connection between the size of the crowd and our results. The missing players are a concern, but it is just another game.

ADD

Player
Norwood
I think quite a few fans got excited about Jolley due to his 2 goals against Rochdale who were not back up to speed after 4 weeks off due Covid but the reality is he was on loan at Chester and had been nowhere near the first team before then.
After all, if he was that good why had MM not had him in the team already given he had seen him in pre- season and training all season long.
If Glatzel had not been injured I very much doubt Jolley would have been recalled and so would never have been near the first team this season.

Player
Manager
John King
I think quite a few fans got excited about Jolley due to his 2 goals against Rochdale who were not back up to speed after 4 weeks off due Covid but the reality is he was on loan at Chester and had been nowhere near the first team before then.
After all, if he was that good why had MM not had him in the team already given he had seen him in pre- season and training all season long.
If Glatzel had not been injured I very much doubt Jolley would have been recalled and so would never have been near the first team this season.
He is still a promising youngster and played very well in several games, not just the Rochdale game. He was man of the match at Oldham and Exeter and scored four goals in that period.

You could make exactly the same comments about Glatzel when he was out of form and was sent back to Liverpool. Young players develop at different rates.

Last edited: