• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Port Vale

Rovers v Port Vale
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, August 25, 2018 - 04:45 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Probably our weakest home performance but we definitely deserved to shade it. From the back, Davies was imperious again, although if he spends more than 2 seconds in possession the home fans berate him; while I understand why, let's not overdo it! Our defence was solid and, although Manny did well, I think Zoom would have ripped both Mansfield and Vale apart if he had been playing. No goals conceded in 3 home games is pretty amazing! Banks looks a cut above at this level and reminds me of Wallace at his best - absolute class! He and McCullogh make a fantastic central midfield pairing. Luke is proving a great defensive midfielder who always has an eye for the forward ball - really struggling to understand why he was released to us. His lordship seemed out of sorts for most of the afternoon and I honestly thought he was more likely to be send off than score but what do I know! Mullins was more effective than Cole and made a difference with his energy; I do like Cole but think he should the starting role should e reversed for next week. CJ didn't have his best game but is always guaranteed to put in a shift - he must be our fittest player! Jonny mesmerised their full back early on but was less effective as the game wore on, DMH caused them all sorts of problems when he came on. To be honest I'm loving every minute of this season - just waiting for the day when we start replicating our away goalscoring form at home! Happy days! SWA!.

Player
ian goodison
couldn't agree more with onigp you wouldn't know Mcculloch was on the pitch at times but what a player think harris can kiss a comeback goodbye my mom was ellis but that's just my opinion to see miller trying to pass monnie then moaning all the time made my day great atmosphere and great to hear the crowd keeping the lads going even when we start to flag

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A deserved win even if we were not in top form, passing went astray quite a bit, Vale looked to me rather like several of the teams we have played over the last 3 years, fairly defensive with quite a bit of play acting especially from Miller, onwards and upwards now with a decent start so far

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
In an ironic way, the exertions of the last three seasons against teams intent on simply trying to stifle us and poke us with sticks will stand us in good stead this season.
I'd like to think though that more opposition will have the mentality of Mansfield than Vale.
Is it right that last Tuesday was the first league game in 30 odd that we haven't scored?

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
I certainly pick my games to miss!
Anybody shed some light on Vale fans getting amongst ours and causing bother, unfurling flags?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I certainly pick my games to miss!
Anybody shed some light on Vale fans getting amongst ours and causing bother, unfurling flags?
Some of their hooligan firm went into the Town Paddock and unveiled a Port Vale flag. Apparently it was a 'tribute' to one of their thugs who died recently.

A few punches were thrown on both sides and then the police carted them away.

It was a bizarre and unsavoury incident. I have not seen anything like that in a football ground since the eighties.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Cheers RLC,
And I always thought they were more civilised than their more illustrious neighbours.
Though they may be fighting each other soon the way Stokes form is!

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
Great summary from all as always. My points are of a similar viewpoint. I though the back 4 were absolutely magnificent, against a very dangerous striking partnership. Those two are a pain in the arse and will score a lot of goals this season, as they always do. Monthe and Carprice were superb in defense, but also offer such an outlet going forward (Jake's composure and delivery is superb, sometimes Manny should take a touch and think, but I cannot fault the big man on his performance). Steve and Mark were absolute rocks against a very lively front line, and they look like they have formed a decent partnership. The midfield was a tough battle, especially in the first half. Both teams were playing on the front foot, but as the game wore on i felt that Banks and McCullogh's ability on the ball meant that we were much more effective in not just winning, but retaining possession. Banks was absolutely class from the get go and looked to dictate play out to Smith in the first half and DMH in the second half, and with better quality in the final third we could have been 2-0 / 3-0 up even without those late 1-on-1's that Mullin and Norwood couldnt convert.

For me, the team is set up to play football, and there was some really good stuff on show, but I worry about Stockton, I just dont see him as having the strength or ability to bully defenses the way cook did which means when we do have to play that out ball up to him, it doesn't stick, and tends to result in the other team regaining possession. I liked what I saw of Mullin, and DMH so think we have a great squad to manage a game well and give teams lots to think of from the bench (Tollit didnt even come on), but I do worry about Norwood getting injured. All in all, a very entertaining (my wife even came and commented on how much she enjoyed it!) and competitive game, with 2 teams having a go, Port Vale came for a draw, but to try and nick something on the break through their strikers, but rovers dealt with that superbly and deserved the win on the second half performance.

From what I have seen, Rovers have nothing to fear and can do well this season. On to Northampton....

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Is it right that last Tuesday was the first league game in 30 odd that we haven't scored?
Our previous failure in a league game was 18th November 2017, when we lost 1-0 at Gateshead. We played 26 more games last season and two at the start of this campaign. If you count the two play-off matches as league games, that makes 30. Of course, meanwhile we failed to score when losing to Peterborough in the FA Cup and Solihull in the FA Trophy.

However, I doubt we'll go anything like another 30 games before drawing a blank. We are in a tougher league and frankly we don't have the firepower we had last season. We are missing Cook and currently relying almost exclusively on Norwood for goals. That said, defensively we look very good - even with five players injured. Three clean sheets, a good performance at Stevenage (apart from a mad ten minute spell) and what might have been a great display at Swindon.

Last edited:
Player
ian goodison
cowshed kid I was talking to the steward from the jk stand and he said a vale fan had recently passedaway and they wanted to make a statement the flag was to honour him why it couldn't be shown in their stand I don't know, did you notice the rows of seats behind their goal were covered it was because the police had info they may encroach onto the pitch

Player
aldo
loving it at the moment guess me to miss another win and see a 0-0 draw . oh well see the trophy prices are £5 adult might go for it . think dmh and mullin need to start get cole on the bench .then again the new lad cant spell his name could be avalible on sat so who knows

Player
aldo
numpty fans i dont understand it there is so meney young children in the ground . my little one dont like going . but will get her there

Player
ian goodison
AM we were sitting opposite in the jk stand when it all kicked off didn't realise it was vale fans its a good job the stewards & police got there 1st or else there would have been mayhem trouble is with bigger away fans always some idiots come although im sure we have some as well