• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Pool

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Going for a draw again, they have started well and we will probably start with a few new faces, how they slot in to the team will give us an idea, what the strength and structure of our squad amounts to. I have reservations about playing too many older players, we need a balanced team and a shape and tactics that will help us or go against us.
1-1

Challinor (long throw) to the chief, 1-0!!!
Both really good coaches.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The new signings will give the crowd and the squad a lift, but they will take time to adjust and in some cases to get match fit. I understand why we’ve done this business late, but we are now five fixtures down and these players have missed our pre-season. It’s not ideal, so we need to give Micky and the new boys some slack for a while. How Micky is to assess everyone and work out how to use them best I just don’t know. I’m glad it’s not my problem. I’d say we will be able to judge by the end of October whether we are going in the right direction.

With that in mind, I’m predicting a 1-2 defeat, but I’m confident we’ll be up there in May.

Reactions: Boz

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
I'm sticking with a 3-2 win.
Hope Hawkes starts and frees up Glatzel to see what he can do centrally. Be good if one or both Duffy and Merrie start also.
Maynard off the bench for the third after a Nevitt brace.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The new signings will give the crowd and the squad a lift, but they will take time to adjust and in some cases to get match fit. I understand why we’ve done this business late, but we are now five fixtures down and these players have missed our pre-season. It’s not ideal, so we need to give Micky and the new boys some slack for a while. How Micky is to assess everyone and work out how to use them best I just don’t know. I’m glad it’s not my problem. I’d say we will be able to judge by the end of October whether we are going in the right direction.

With that in mind, I’m predicting a 1-2 defeat, but I’m confident we’ll be up there in May.
Think this is realistic.

On the article about Hawkes that Sparky posted it's quite encouraging; Pools didn't go for him as they had options in his role already in the squad rather than for any negative reason.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
We are only five games into this season, so it is far too early to judge the merits of either ourselves or Hartlepool. Predicting defeat as some kind of certainty is far too negative.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I think Hawkes will start with Duffy and Maynard on the bench, Walker may not be ready as has had covid.
Don't really recognise many if any of their team, expecting just over 6k crowd with a decent away following (800) so far sold, going for a home win 2 0.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We are only five games into this season, so it is far too early to judge the merits of either ourselves or Hartlepool. Predicting defeat as some kind of certainty is far too negative.
If that was my post (with Boz in agreement) you took exception to, please bear in mind that I explained my reasons for my prediction. I believe I am being realistic in not thinking the new players will bring instant success.

Nothing in football is certain except that one day footballers will retire. Personally, I hope my prediction is wrong, just like the last four which proved to be too optimistic.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think we will prove too strong for Hartlepool tomorrow with a bit more meat up front and will win the game 2-0.

Player
Manager
John King
We have enough in the squad to win tomorrow with the players that are currently available (which could include Hawkes and Duffy).

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
More fool me, but I go into every game believing we’re going to win it; I probably wouldn’t bother going if I thought otherwise.
Tomorrow endeth the goal drought, 2-0 Rovers!
We all scoff at the thought of having Challinor over Mickey when the master tactician comes out on top.
Back to the odd tipple or two to help with the positive thoughts!

Player
Manager
John King
Looks like 532 with Maynard and Nevitt up front, Duffy in the hole. MacManaman, Feeney, Hawkes on the bench.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Would have preferred Merrie at left wing back ahead of Morris but glad Maynard and Duffy are starting. Hopefully we get to see some of Hawkes as still not much pace in that eleven apart from cogley

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Surprised about the line-up. 3 at the back at home again? Maynard starts so an expectation he’s reasonably match fit. No defenders on the bench. Share Sparky’s concern about lack of pace. Will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Scrappy start with most of the attacking play coming from Pools.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
No pace, no spark, no creativity being outplayed and 3 centre halves isn't working

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Really poor. Half of our outfield players are 33 or over. No pace, not mobile enough.
Whereas they are looking dangerous especially down the right and should be ahead.
wing backs not working at all

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Lucky to be level. Two tame efforts at their keeper the totality of our attack, whereas Pools have hit the post and come close a couple of times. As Sparky highlights, being exposed down our left.

Think Micky needs to accept this line-up isn’t working and change it quickly.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
No pace, no spark, no creativity being outplayed and 3 centre halves isn't working
Completely agree. Awful first half really. Take KP off, get another body in midfield as we have no control over this game. Morris also been awful.