• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Pool

ADD

Player
Norwood
Been away for a few days and so just caught up on the RLC v others re our defence;)
Of course it has been decent given how little we have conceded but I tend to side with the others for 2 reasons. How many critical saves Murphy has made (and which many other keepers at this level possibly including Davies would not have made) but also we all seem to forget the opposition have hit the post/ bar 5 or 6 times now which is incredibly high after so few games plus 2 off the line so with a bit less luck that would transform our thinking. What concerns me the most is why the hell Maguire was recruited as now he isn't even considered a squad player by MM given he insists in playing Morris there who with the best will in the world simply isn't good enough. The sooner McDonald is back the better.
That said RLC and others are 100% right that our main issue is attacking and although I didn't see the highlights from Saturday yet the last 15 minutes is what I hold my hat on as by all acounts we were transformed...

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Several of the efforts against the woodwork were overhit crosses and those teams with inferior defensive records will also have benefitted from similar 'luck' over a series of matches.

It is a bit like arguing we should take away all of James Vaughan's goals last season which resulted from poor defending or keeping, as he can't claim credit for those.

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I don’t play down Joe’s contribution. It’s not just direct shots saved that count. There is also how he deals with crosses. And have you seen his speed and accuracy of distribution? Most of all, let’s remember we started the season with a remodelled defence full of strangers. Having a confident, vocal keeper like Joe behind them must have helped enormously.

Reactions: Boz
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
He is a good keeper, but he is just part of the defence, not the entire defence. We have been well organised at the back and Davies and Cogley in particular have been impressive.