• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Pompey

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Depends how Ray and Nelson have fared in training and your comparison to Adams is pretty insulting.
It’s how I feel then and now. No idea how we’ll line up, Doncaster and this feel totally random. As Rovers legend Ian Goodison showed it’s what you do on the pitch rather than in training which matters. Hopefully Ray can win the fans round with a performance reminiscent of Goodi!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
0-1 h/t another goal conceded from a set-piece. Pompey look good in midfield and attack but a bit brittle at the back and Rovers heads not dropped yet.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Still in it but need to produce a lot more in front of goal to come away with some points.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Not anymore we aren't. Terrible by Davies again...

Player
aldo
jump up and down if you think we scored a goal jump up an down if you think we scored a goal jump up an down if you can remember what it feels like

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Well I guess the result and performance were fairly predictable. Pompey weren’t great in my view but dealt with our toothless attack and capitalised on woeful marking for the free kick for the first and a shot I thought Davies could have done better with albeit I was far away in the kop. Vaughan didn’t look like he brought anything to the party and you wonder is he any better than Payne. CBT showed the odd glimpse but as I’ve said before, the squad is unbalanced with 6/7 centre mids and only one proper winger. At the moment if u stop CBT then you stop us creating anything.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A familiar outcome but a better performance than Tuesday night, in my view. We looked better balanced in the 442, with the newcomers more settled. With Cook and Vaughan acting as a partnership and CBT wide, we did have more of an attacking threat (in the first half at least) and we created several half chances in the first period. We did not capitulate after either goal and stayed in the game.

Portsmouth were fairly average in general play, but strong defensively. The manner that we gave away the goals was disappointing. Davies was at fault for the first goal, as we kept a high defensive line for the free kick and he should have been off his line to claim the ball or clear it; for the second, we gave the ball away from our own throw in on the half way line when we were out of shape, and Portsmouth capitalised. It was a good strike by Williams, but from a long way out and I thought Davies again should have done better.

I thought Woodyard was excellent and McCullough had another very good game. Ray was solid today and was not responsible for the goals. The injuries to the two full backs are a blow and we have to hope Wilson is ok.

We did not have enough against a strong Pompey side today, but with the new additions I think we can pick up points against bottom half sides in the weeks ahead.

Wimbledon's defeat keeps us alive. On Tuesday we play a woefully out of form Bristol Rovers side, while they face Ipswich. A huge night.

Player
Manager
John King
It’s how I feel then and now. No idea how we’ll line up, Doncaster and this feel totally random. As Rovers legend Ian Goodison showed it’s what you do on the pitch rather than in training which matters. Hopefully Ray can win the fans round with a performance reminiscent of Goodi!
While no Ian Goodison, Ray was fine. A 442 with two wide men is hardly random.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
That was tough watching as a Rovers fan. I thought there should have been a defensive challenge for the first goal, though can see RLCs argument that Davies could have claimed it. Their second involved us backing off from central midfield to the edge of the Rovers box, though it looked like Scottie could have done better with the final shot. For Rovers there were 3 good balls into the box first half from Wilson Woods and CBT, none taken advantage of. Little in the way of clearcut chances 2nd half.

Hard to take many positives. I thought the full-backs were good but both went off presume injured. Monthe was back to normal and probably MoM, though I’d give it to Woods had he lasted the game. I’ll reserve judgement on Vaughan, who struggled with the PP conditions more than most. McCullough continues to struggle with distribution and is better suited to a purely defensive role than the one he was required to play today.

Player
Manager
John King
McCullough's passing was really good on Tuesday and I thought it was fine today as well.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
There were a number of occasions in the second half McCullough made the wrong choice resulting in a Rovers attack breaking down. Pompey didn’t give any of our midfield much time on the ball but Luke found this pressure hardest to handle. Wasn’t at the Doncaster match, but distribution was a weak point in his game last season.

Player
Manager
John King
I think McCullough is a good short-range passer (ten to twenty yards). It was something Doncaster supporters commented on after Tueday's game.

He has played well in both matches since returning.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Davies seems to be going backwards at a rate of knots. Every week he seems more nailed to his line. Goalkeeping has evolved since the early part of the 20th century! I don't remember him ever being this static - or is it just my memory?

Player
ian goodison
it will not happen but davies needs binning apart from that we huffed & puffed but that was all, Portsmouth not as good as Coventry/Ipswich but still too good for us, no passion/urgency from anyone will we score before easter?