• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Pompey

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It will be interesting to see what team Micky sends out after last week's debacle. While I'd hope we revert to the 3-5-2, which seemed to at least make us difficult to beat, really haven't a clue as to what line-up and formation he adopts. Brezovan, has a back problem, so OFW likely to return, but beyond that no hint from the manager about the team he'll play.

Portsmouth had their first win in a while last weekend 3-0 v Morecambe. Their away form has been patchy and their manager, ex-player Andy Awford under pressure.

Prediction: Should get a decent away turnout 400-500, but I doubt the crowd will exceed 5k. I wouldn't put this into the 'must win' category although victory would be good. A draw most likely.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Hmm, I think they'll huff and puff and make it difficult for us. I do think this is a must win, in fact I think all our home games are must wins but we have to make sure we aren't cast further adrift.

Have no clue who will be in the first eleven but I'm sure Mickey learnt a lot from last week. Can foresee a couple of changes though.

It's time to knuckle down and everyone should be fighting for the points. Have they got it in them?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
If we fail to win this with their away record then I think we will be well and truly doomed and I don't see us winning think 1 1

drwhoman

I see Rovers were offered Ched Evans but Mark Palios turned him down. A decent enough player but given what has happened, and in light of Rovers wanting to be seen as a family club, this was probably the right decision. I suspect he will probably have to go non-league to get a gig even if there is an argument that he has served his time and has hopefully learned his lesson.
Let us hope for a good result on Saturday. Pompey are still very well supported so their fans must be as disappointed as us!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I would say this game is must win, as if we fail to pick up three points we could be nine or ten points adrift by Christmas and I don't think we would make that ground up.

I think we will revert to 5-3-2, with Stockton and Fenelon up front.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The trouble is that after so long without a victory, every game is being billed as a "must win". I hope Micky is trying to take this sort of pressure off the players as it won't make them play their best. Having brought in so many new players and with others returning from injury, Micky needs time to assess what they all can do. I presume he'll play what he regards as his "strongest" side on Saturday, but he will have to give the other squad members some time on the pitch in the two cup games. Surely by Christmas he should know the make up of his squad and have decided on his best system.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
On the one hand I don't think it is must win as plenty of points left, but, I think given another defeat would dispell any positivity that came when Micky came in - I think we have to win or at the very least, put on a decent show and get something from the game.

I'm not going to try and predict the line up. I just hope Jason gets an opportunity but the likes of Baggie/Holmes come back in but that may be wishful thinking.

Pompeys away form is pretty bad so if we get into them right from kick off, an early goal may see their heads drop.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We have an unfortunate habit of kickstarting other club's seasons, so I hope Pompey's away misery continues. However, if things do go wrong, I hope the crowd have a little patience and offer a lot of support. Another defeat may make life difficult for Micky, both on and off the pitch. So, a fighting performance which gets us a draw may not be a bad result.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
How is this not a must win game? Yes there are plenty of points to play for but we sure as won't be getting the majority of them. We may be improving under Micky but it'll still be a massive struggle.

It could take us another three months just to close the gap!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Totally agree Ian, at the rate its going we will be 10 points or more from safety and people will still say a draw will be a good result, we are in desperate trouble and only wins are going to get us out of it a draw especially at home is of little use

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
If we beat Portsmouth then lose the next half dozen games, we'd be worse off than a draw v Pompey being the start of an long unbeaten run. Agree that sooner rather than later we need to start winning games again. I'd say that the game at Dagenham a fortnight hence fits much better into the 'must win' category.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Thank you, Boz. How many "must win" games have we had already this season? We haven't won any of them and we are still alive.

Once we get out of first gear (some might say reverse gear) we can start to motor. Micky's currently tuning the engine to last the race.

Player
Liam Palmer
Mickey's focus seems to be damage limitation until January when he can overhaul the squad and get things going. But looking at our next five League games, even with our current problems, the three home games and the trip to Dag & Red all present good opportunities to pick up wins if we can somehow find a way of scoring a few goals. If....

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Looks like the only change from last week is Fon Williams in goal and Rowe on the wing. Stockton up front solo. Doesn't fill me with confidence.

Ohh and Holmes back.

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Great start. Let's see if we can stay in front. I think we'll need another if we are to win.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Don't think it is must win, but it would be nice. For now I would settle for keeping consecutive defeats off the card. Think Rowe will be in middle three with Pwer and Jennings in a 3-5-2 Cole will be supported by Fenleon. Plenty of energy in there with Holmes back and Liam doing a good job on the left. Although would like to see us find room for Koumas...may be later in the game.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A thoroughly deserved victory for Rovers. The only sour note today was the injury to the young centre back from Hull. I could hear the crack when he collided with Danny Holmes from twenty yards away, and I hope it is not a leg break, an awful injury for a young player to sustain.

The line up was largely as I had expected, save for James Rowe coming back into midfield, and unlike last week we started the game really brightly and had Pompey on the back foot from the off. A lot of pressure high up the pitch resulted in a couple of corners, the second of which we scored from, with scrappy defending from Portsmouth of the kind that we have generally been guilty of ourselves from set plays this season. For the rest of the half I thought Portsmouth had a decent amount of possession but rarely troubled us, and I only remember Fonners having to make one proper save, a good one-handed effort. We looked more dangerous throughout, with the pace and energy of Fenelon in particular causing them a lot of problems. Our half time lead was deserved.

At the start of the second half we again started the better side and Portsmouth's equaliser came against the run of play. Not for the first time this season luck deserted us, with Wallace's shot taking a hefty deflection to beat Fonners; I was right behind the shot and I think Fon would have saved the effort to his right had it not been diverted. Full credit to the players for their response to this setback, however. Portsmouth had their best spell of the game in the 5-10 minutes that followed, but we dug in and defended manfully to keep the scores level and gradually got back on the front foot. James Rowe justified his selection with a quality finish for the second goal and Fenelon did brilliantly to pick out Ridehalgh in the lead up to the penalty.

All the players worked incredibly hard today, with Jennings, Ihiekwe and Holmes playing particularly well. However, Fenelon was the difference today for me. His movement and willingness to run in behind is something we have lacked all season, as is his preparedness to shoot as soon as he gets sight of goal in the eighteen yard box. He is also decent technically and linked the play very well at times.

Hopefully this victory, against a team containing a lot of decent individuals, will lift the confidence of the players and silence some of the cynics. Onwards and upwards under Micky.

Player
Nixon
Great game to watch.
We took it too them.
Best players for me where Jennings and Fenlon, both head and shoulders above. But everyone put a shift in.

OFW needs to grow a voice, gets us into soooooooo much trouble.... only one save to make in the 1st half tho.

Think the lads would want to play there next game tomorrow if they could.

I've still got concerns to why Koumas is still not getting a look in :(

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Fantastic, just what we needed. The lads all worked extremely hard and deserved the three points. Fenelon was a different player today, he had his shooting boots on and was causing some real problems running at their defenders. Rowe was also excellent. My only real concern was that Stockton wasn't in the game at all. Can't complain though, table looks a little bit healthier this evening and we must follow this up with a few more wins leading up to Xmas.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes a vital win given our position and should give the lads some confidence going forward.

I said pre match that a quick tempo right from the off and an early goal could see their heads drop given their away form. I thought we started fantastically well and a clever finish from Fenelon gave us a great start. We played well the rest of the half but at times I felt we didnt get enough numbers in the box. Jenno led by example and credit to Max (who I have been critical of) and Rowe for doing well.

With a lucky equaliser I was worried the game could turn against us but credit to Rowe with a fantastic strike and Fenelon showed his worth again setting up the penalty. The more pace in the side the better. Ridehalgh who had a nightmare against Southend responded well. Well done to Max for following up his saved pen by reacting quicker than anyone else.

I'm with Ian that my only concern was Stockton who was a bit of a passenger. He won a few headers early on but still looks very rusty - that said he has been out for a while and some players take longer than others to get back into it. I thought big Kayode did well when we came on though.

Only one game but the spirits must be good and with 2 winnable cup games ahead, hopefully things are looking up.