• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Pirates

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Bristol Rovers

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Pirates
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, April 9, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, April 9, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
It really is a must win at Bradford. The bantams have lost 6 out of their last 8 at home.

You know what that means!!
Our away form is very poor and we have scored the third lowest amount of goals away, I don't think we will win

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
At least I actually watch the games.

And who are 'the rest of us' ? Do three individuals on a forum represent the opinion of the entire Tranmere support ? Do 6,000 supporters all want Mellon sacked tomorrow ? Have you conducted a survey ?

We are actually ninth in the six game form table, with nine points from six. When you consider that run included games against Mansfield, Sutton and Bristol Rovers, that points return is not too bad. The longer term away form is poor, but that is another issue.

Where we were two months ago is irrelevant, although Mellon has kept us in contention at the top all season. Finishing outside the play offs is not a disaster. We improve the squad over the summer and go again.
Oh dear....
1. I didnt say I want Mellon sacked tomorrow. In my opinion the style of football this season has be terrible to watch (and yes, I do watch games whenever I can to your snipey little comment). Do people who cant get to every match not have a right to their opinion or viewpoint, or only if it agrees with your blinkered view?

Where we were two months ago is not irrelevant, it showed that we were going in the right direction. We are now ninth and likely to fall further down the table based upon current form. If you think that is acceptable then thats up to you. For me it isnt, and I would like for things to change before next season as I cant imagine another season of watching long ball dirge football again.

Just read somewhere that we only completed 112 passes yesterday. We probably completed more against Spurs and United than that!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Oh dear....
1. I didnt say I want Mellon sacked tomorrow. In my opinion the style of football this season has be terrible to watch (and yes, I do watch games whenever I can to your snipey little comment). Do people who cant get to every match not have a right to their opinion or viewpoint, or only if it agrees with your blinkered view?

Where we were two months ago is not irrelevant, it showed that we were going in the right direction. We are now ninth and likely to fall further down the table based upon current form. If you think that is acceptable then thats up to you. For me it isnt, and I would like for things to change before next season as I cant imagine another season of watching long ball dirge football again.

Just read somewhere that we only completed 112 passes yesterday. We probably completed more against Spurs and United than that!
If you don't want to even attempt to interact in a civilised fashion, than simply ignore my posts. Ok ?

I hold a different opinion to you. Accept it and get over it. Mellon is going nowhere, nor is he going to be reprimanded by Palios for 'terrible football'.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Saying it isn’t acceptable is a bit far. When you think how Micky had to rebuild our entire squad it wasn’t a given we would make the top 7. The table doesn’t lie and yes I doesn’t look like we’ll be good enough, but who would we change in terms of the manager? Micky knows what it takes to get promotion, not just with us but with other clubs. Yes at times it isn’t pretty but his track record is better than most.

worst case scenario we finish say 11th. Yes we were second at one point but possibly Over achieving. If we had our best 11 recently then I think we’d have been ok but we’ve been missing glatzel, spearing, McDonald and Morris.

people often call for the managers head but MP would have to think who do I replace him with? The only one I could think of would be challinor who has promotions under his belt but he’s on a great contract at Stockport and very close to another promotion.

yes it’s not pretty at times and we all questions some of Micky decisions but 1. He had to build from scratch and 2. He’s lost key players at the worst possible time of the season.

his track record speaks for itself so at the very least he deserves another crack at it next season. He’s got some credit in the bank after two successive promotions not too long ago!

Player
Manager
John King
If we had our best 11 recently then I think we’d have been ok but we’ve been missing glatzel, spearing, McDonald and Morris.
Yes, I agree. I think even without Glatzel, if the three other players you mention had been available for the entire run in we would have stayed on course for the top seven, irrespective of the struggles away from home.

A couple of months ago both Vale and Exeter had fallen out of the play off places. It is no coincidence that when key players like Proctor, Wilson, Brown and Dombe came back from injury, they went on the strong runs which will see them go up automatically.

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
For t
Saying it isn’t acceptable is a bit far. When you think how Micky had to rebuild our entire squad it wasn’t a given we would make the top 7. The table doesn’t lie and yes I doesn’t look like we’ll be good enough, but who would we change in terms of the manager? Micky knows what it takes to get promotion, not just with us but with other clubs. Yes at times it isn’t pretty but his track record is better than most.

worst case scenario we finish say 11th. Yes we were second at one point but possibly Over achieving. If we had our best 11 recently then I think we’d have been ok but we’ve been missing glatzel, spearing, McDonald and Morris.

people often call for the managers head but MP would have to think who do I replace him with? The only one I could think of would be challinor who has promotions under his belt but he’s on a great contract at Stockport and very close to another promotion.

yes it’s not pretty at times and we all questions some of Micky decisions but 1. He had to build from scratch and 2. He’s lost key players at the worst possible time of the season.

his track record speaks for itself so at the very least he deserves another crack at it next season. He’s got some credit in the bank after two successive promotions not too long ago!
For the record I didn’t say I wanted MM sacked, I was so happy when he came back, but sometimes it doesn’t work out the second time around.

I also do think that we have underachieved and given a bit more of adventure in some games we could have picked up more points than we have.

I also think the recruitment in the summer was a factor, and it is clear he doesn’t have faith in a number of those players.

The problem will be holding on to the better players who could certainly play at a higher level, if we don’t then it may be deja vu next season.

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
P
If you don't want to even attempt to interact in a civilised fashion, than simply ignore my posts. Ok ?

I hold a different opinion to you. Accept it and get over it. Mellon is going nowhere, nor is he going to be reprimanded by Palios for 'terrible football'.perhaps
Perhaps you will be good enough to do the same then!
I hold a different opinion to you. Accept it and get over it. Mellon is going nowhere, nor is he going to be reprimanded by Palios for 'terrible football'.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Talk of getting rid of MM is crazy in my view. We had reached league one under his leadership. He has proven success down in the lower divisions. Sometimes the football might not be pretty, but we are not Man City or Liverpool. If after another 2 or 3 seasons, we still find ourselves in division two, then a change might be needed. I don't see anyone better who is available to take us forward.

Being 2nd for a couple of weeks has probably given many people false hope. Injuries have certainly impacted our results over the last few months and now we have suspensions to key players. We can still make the play-offs but it will take some effort over the next few weeks.

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
It’s not just a trait of ours, but I often read that we’ve suffered/are suffering from one malaise or another as of it’s unique to us as a club (I was making excuses pre-kick off yesterday and it didn’t turn our anywhere near as bad as any pessimism dictated). It’s also going to take equal effort from our competitors to make the play-offs and none of them have a divine right either. I’m not calling for Mellon’s head as I feel that’s premature, but everyone in management has their shelf-life; I’m reading the Mellon label as still having time on it to facilitate safe consumption. However, that’s not to say I haven’t disagreed with some of his decisions and haven’t questioned the way we set up on occasions and our style of play; I’m still not sure we have a clear identity with regards to style, but that’s no doubt down to Mellon’s pragmatism and adapting game by game. Some people like pragmatism, some hanker for a more cavalier approach; maybe there’s a place for both?
If we don’t make the play-offs, I’m sure I’ll have a feeling of under-achievement having been up there for a large chunk of the season. I was comfortable with Mellon coming back, but wouldn’t describe it as being enthralled; that’s kinda reflective of where I’m at right now. I have renewed my season ticket, more as a sense of duty than any prospect of prime entertainment; jeez, I’m sounding pessimistic; maybe it’s that Sunday afternoon feeling of dread about returning back to work tomorrow or maybe I’m morphing into a miserable git!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Talk of getting rid of MM is crazy in my view. We had reached league one under his leadership. He has proven success down in the lower divisions. Sometimes the football might not be pretty, but we are not Man City or Liverpool. If after another 2 or 3 seasons, we still find ourselves in division two, then a change might be needed. I don't see anyone better who is available to take us forward.

Being 2nd for a couple of weeks has probably given many people false hope. Injuries have certainly impacted our results over the last few months and now we have suspensions to key players. We can still make the play-offs but it will take some effort over the next few weeks.
No way we're we overachieving to be second, the league is competitive but Forest Green apart the standard is not that good.
Micky will never change how he manages, he is safety first and in the main when we go 1 up we don't take the game to opponents often enough meaning especially away from home when we go behind we don't look like getting anything from the game.

Outoftowner

Player
Chris Merrie
Manager
Micky Mellon
Strange game, we probably had the better goal attempts and if Nevitt had converted the one on one, we’d probably have gone onto win it. I wouldn’t want to pin too much onto Elliott, though, he hit it true, scuff it and it probably would go in. Brizzle had a lot of possession but didn’t make the most of it. I’m surprised they’ve been on such a good run and purely on today’s showing would be amazed if they go up.

Would broadly agree with RLCs player plaudits, there were a couple of decent moves started by NKP carrying the ball out of defence and playing a ball for the man in front to run onto. Sponsors gave JDC MoM an interesting selection.

I felt that Warrington was outmuscled a lot today and there was a case for him to be subbed. Maybe as a young player, time to take him out of the firing line for a bit?
I just saw this based on yesterdays statistics :-

1649609992425.png

Reactions: Boz

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Micky will never change how he manages, he is safety first and in the main when we go 1 up we don't take the game to opponents often enough meaning especially away from home when we go behind we don't look like getting anything from the game.
He got us into league one and I'm assuming he has not changed the way he manages. I think a lot of it is personnel and we haven't quite had the squad good enough for a real strong promotion push for reasons we've already covered previously (poor early signings, injuries etc..)

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I think some of it depends on what resources micky has. When we had Norwood, cookie and Jennings we had lots of goals in us. Micky has probably realised that prior to Hemings coming, we had limited goal options so had to base results on clean sheets and nicking the odd goal, I.e. playing pragmatically.
Now we have do have hemmings we’ve had more of a goal threat but still not enough in the squad. Plus he has played 4-4-2 a lot which many managers don’t.
Sometimes he does appear negative but I think part if down to the players he has at his disposal

Player
Manager
John King
I think some of it depends on what resources micky has. When we had Norwood, cookie and Jennings we had lots of goals in us. Micky has probably realised that prior to Hemings coming, we had limited goal options so had to base results on clean sheets and nicking the odd goal, I.e. playing pragmatically.
Now we have do have hemmings we’ve had more of a goal threat but still not enough in the squad. Plus he has played 4-4-2 a lot which many managers don’t.
Sometimes he does appear negative but I think part if down to the players he has at his disposal
I agree completely. Nobody was accusing him of negativity in the Conference, when we had Cook and Norwood banging in goals left, right and centre on the way to ninety five points. He simply makes the most of the players at his disposal.

In most of the recent away defeats he has actually played a 442 with two wingers, which is not a negative set up at all.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes and he made that point at one of his talks using the making a meal analogy. You open the cupboard and may not have all the ingredients you want but you still have to make a meal.

As long as you don’t add some of Keith’s salt and pepper!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I agree completely. Nobody was accusing him of negativity in the Conference, when we had Cook and Norwood banging in goals left, right and centre on the way to ninety five points. He simply makes the most of the players at his disposal.

In most of the recent away defeats he has actually played a 442 with two wingers, which is not a negative set up at all.
It's not the system that's the issue its the way it's played.

Player
Manager
John King
It's not the system that's the issue its the way it's played.
I still think if it was purely his intention to close the game down and play for a point, he would not be using two wingers away from home.