• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Pirates

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Bristol Rovers

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Pirates
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, April 9, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, April 9, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The core of the squad is decent following the January recruitment. However, it was a complete rebuild last summer and the recruitment process was flawed, with a number of players only arriving in late August, which left us weak in certain areas, particularly up front.

We are probably three or four players away from a promotion winning side, and Mellon is the right man to complete that rebuilding process. There is no manager available to us that is better qualified to manage this club.

I hate the entitled view that we had some divine right to promotion this season, when we began the season with only four players under contract. It is the kind of impatient, now, now, now attitude, that is a problem in modern football and society more widely. Exeter have had several near misses in recent years, including missing out on the play offs completely, but have stuck with Taylor and are now being rewarded.

In any case, it is still perfectly possible for us to make the play offs this time around.

Player
Manager
John King
Strange game, we probably had the better goal attempts and if Nevitt had converted the one on one, we’d probably have gone onto win it. I wouldn’t want to pin too much onto Elliott, though, he hit it true, scuff it and it probably would go in. Brizzle had a lot of possession but didn’t make the most of it. I’m surprised they’ve been on such a good run and purely on today’s showing would be amazed if they go up.

Would broadly agree with RLCs player plaudits, there were a couple of decent moves started by NKP carrying the ball out of defence and playing a ball for the man in front to run onto. Sponsors gave JDC MoM an interesting selection.

I felt that Warrington was outmuscled a lot today and there was a case for him to be subbed. Maybe as a young player, time to take him out of the firing line for a bit?
They outnumbered us in midfield, and I think that is why Warrington struggled physically. However, he still produced some nice passes, and in the absence of Morris and with Hawkes not performing at the moment, I think we need him for his creativity.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Do we really have a strong squad though? I’m not so sure.

numerous signings haven’t worked like maguire, Mani, mcmanaman.

others Have never played At this level like jolley and nevitt Both have shown odd glimpses but it was too much to expect them to score enough.

we‘ve signed a few veteran bit part players like NKP, Foley, Merrie and Maynard. Ok merrie isn’t a veteran but as a signing it hasn’t worked as he’s hardly featured.

mclake hasn’t worked out. Hawkes has flattered to deceive. Hemings was signed too late as our striking options before January were shocking.

i‘m pleased with the likes of Connor mcdonald davies and Cooley but I’m really not sure our squad is as strong as some make out

Player
Manager
John King
Do we really have a strong squad though? I’m not so sure.

numerous signings haven’t worked like maguire, Mani, mcmanaman.

others Have never played At this level like jolley and nevitt Both have shown odd glimpses but it was too much to expect them to score enough.

we‘ve signed a few veteran bit part players like NKP, Foley, Merrie and Maynard. Ok merrie isn’t a veteran but as a signing it hasn’t worked as he’s hardly featured.

mclake hasn’t worked out. Hawkes has flattered to deceive. Hemings was signed too late as our striking options before January were shocking.

i‘m pleased with the likes of Connor mcdonald davies and Cooley but I’m really not sure our squad is as strong as some make out
It is not that strong. The core of younger players you mention is decent, but there is clearly improvement required.

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
Its is stronger than the majority of the teams we have lost to. I would imagine teams like Crawley, Scunthorpe etc. would love to have our squad.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Fair point charlton but I’m not sure it’s strong enough to finish in the top eight.

micky post match praising our set pieces from “Mezza”. I’m assuming he means merrie which begs the question why hasn’t be been involved more. McDonald has done well as has the midfield so tough competition but I’m sure we could have used merrie more

Player
Manager
John King
Its is stronger than the majority of the teams we have lost to. I would imagine teams like Crawley, Scunthorpe etc. would love to have our squad.
I am sure they would, but that does not mean ours is better than the teams occupying the automatic places.

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
Aspiration is fine, disappointment is fine. I’m not so sure too many believe we have a divine right. Of course it’s not over and I’m much less disappointed today than last week; in fact, I was relatively satisfied with the point and it could have been three if Nevitt had buried that chance. Bristol Rovers moved the ball well and had the majority of the possession (we did appear to be set up to allow them this), but created very little and credit has to be given for nullifying them in the final third. We do need to turn our away form around at Bradford on Friday; I’ll be there to celebrate us getting back on track (that’s just being the eternal optimist!).

ADD

Player
Norwood
An entertaining game of football and how nice it was to see an away team trying to win the game - one of their players hurried all the others back after their equaliser! So different to our approach in so many games - would we had done the same on the many away games this season when we clearly went for a point but could have won!
Personally I thought they were far better than us technically but they did so so little with the ball it was quite amazing - if they could go for a short pass rather than a defence splitting one they seemed to prefer that pretty much every time. I don't recall a save that Murphy had to make from a proper chance - he had no chance with their goal which was poor defending.
We shouldn't be blase about the fact both our goal and our best chance when Nevitt probably should have done better were from hoofs upfield - the Murphy one a good recovery considering he had slipped as he went for the ball.
NKP did well I thought and was solid however let's hope Davies recovers from whatever it is...
As to playoffs yes of course we can still make them but I don't think we will especially given we have Morris and MacDnald absent for 3 more games.

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
Full backs, both very good for me. Clarke and Davies, better than most at this level. Spearing and O'Connor (premier league and European experience and an Irish international player). McPake, one of the best players we saw recently when playing at this level, Morris, everyone says is too good to be playing at this level, MacMannum - alright, he is a busted flush but was still a big signing. Hawkes, signed from the league above and has torn defences apart when he is allowed to express himself. The issue I agree has been up front, but Hemmings was a good signing, and Jolley, Glatzel and Nevitt have all improved and chipped in.

The buck stops with the manager sadly, this is a good squad, and we have lost far too many games due to negative tactics. We shouldnt be the 9th rated team in this division. I dont say we should be winning the league, but this has been a very poor season all in all.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Agree with RLC that micky is the right man to make us challenge next season
I am not so sure he is, his tactics are far too negative for me, we have scored 3rd lowest amount of goals away and a lot of the football has been frankly tedious for much of the season.

Is Micky capable of making us more attacking, I doubt it, he has his style it's worked in the past but not now and I doubt he can change

Player
Manager
John King
I am not so sure he is, his tactics are far too negative for me, we have scored 3rd lowest amount of goals away and a lot of the football has been frankly tedious for much of the season.

Is Micky capable of making us more attacking, I doubt it, he has his style it's worked in the past but not now and I doubt he can change
The style of play is nowhere near as poor as some people make out. I am perfectly happy with how we approach the home games certainly, and the football is clearly better to watch than it was under Parry, Brabin and others.

I think our alleged 'negativity' in the first half of the season was because the striking options were so poor, so we had to keep games tight. Since January we have actually scored a fair number of goals at home.

There is no way Mellon will be fired, even if we do miss out on the top seven. His record is still second to none at this level.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The style of play is nowhere near as poor as some people make out. I am perfectly happy with how we approach the home games certainly, and the football is clearly better to watch than it was under Parry, Brabin and others.

I think our alleged 'negativity' in the first half of the season was because the striking options were so poor, so we had to keep games tight. Since January we have actually scored a fair number of goals at home.

There is no way Mellon will be fired, even if we do miss out on the top seven. His record is still second to none at this level.
Sorry but by and large it's been tedious, we don't create anywhere near enough chances regardless of who the strikers are.
Since we played really well v Swindon the football has hardly been entertaining.
I don't expect Micky to be sacked but I don't expect him to get us promoted either

Player
Manager
John King
Full backs, both very good for me. Clarke and Davies, better than most at this level. Spearing and O'Connor (premier league and European experience and an Irish international player). McPake, one of the best players we saw recently when playing at this level, Morris, everyone says is too good to be playing at this level, MacMannum - alright, he is a busted flush but was still a big signing. Hawkes, signed from the league above and has torn defences apart when he is allowed to express himself. The issue I agree has been up front, but Hemmings was a good signing, and Jolley, Glatzel and Nevitt have all improved and chipped in.

The buck stops with the manager sadly, this is a good squad, and we have lost far too many games due to negative tactics. We shouldnt be the 9th rated team in this division. I dont say we should be winning the league, but this has been a very poor season all in all.
You have listed about seven or eight players there that I would agree with, but you need a squad of twenty. Where is the defensive cover for Clarke, who has clearly struggled with fatigue as the season has progressed ? Where is the alternative striking option if Hemmings and Nevitt are unavailable, given that Glatzel is permanently injured ? Nevitt did not start to score regularly until 3/4 of the way through the season anyway, as you would expect of a novice. Hemmings only arrived in January. Where is the creativity in the centre of midfield, given that Warrington is not our player ?

And so on.

I don't think we were negative at all today, as we set up in a more attacking formation than Bristol. We had a 442 with two wingers, whereas they had five in midfield. That is why they dominated the ball, not because they were so fantastic technically.

Player
Manager
John King
Sorry but by and large it's been tedious, we don't create anywhere near enough chances regardless of who the strikers are.
Since we played really well v Swindon the football has hardly been entertaining.
I don't expect Micky to be sacked but I don't expect him to get us promoted either
It is totally subjective, but I don't mind the football we play under Mellon, but I hated the football we played under Parry and Brabin.

drwhoman

It is totally subjective, but I don't mind the football we play under Mellon, but I hated the football we played under Parry and Brabin.
I agree with your general sentiment RLC. As regards the squad, the table does not lie. It may have some decent players but it has others who are not good enough to start with or have, for whatever reason, under performed. Another season in L2 has looked likely for some weeks. We need a miracle now!

drwhoman

I agree with your general sentiment RLC. As regards the squad, the table does not lie. It may have some decent players but it has others who are not good enough to start with or have, for whatever reason, under performed. Another season in L2 has looked likely for some weeks. We need a miracle now!
Looking back I wonder if the loss of Glatzel and a fit Spearing have been key factors. Why players with perceived pedigree, like McManaman, have not delivered is strange. Maybe he just needed the money.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Good thread this because it shows how different we all look at games and what our expectations are. Ultimately, nothing but a top 7 finish is acceptable imo, but I do take the comments made by RLC in regard to the early signings. The last few months has been a bit of a flop though.

Player
Manager
John King
Looking back I wonder if the loss of Glatzel and a fit Spearing have been key factors. Why players with perceived pedigree, like McManaman, have not delivered is strange. Maybe he just needed the money.
I think we missed Spearing away from home when we lost four in succession.

However, I think Glatzel was the bigger miss overall. He was a very good foil for Hemmings and a regular scorer. The best performance of the season against Swindon was with those two up front and firing.