• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Pirates

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Bristol Rovers

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Pirates
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, April 9, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, April 9, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
just glad I am working as I have had a poor run at big games in the last few seasons so will be holding on to the phone all afternoon just hope Rovers turn up

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
If we'd managed to hang onto the lead against Carlisle despite everything the dismal referee could throw at us, then my view about this game would be a lot more positive. There were some big-hearted performances last weekend, but playing a form team like Bristol Rovers with the enforced absences of Macdonald and Morris doesn't fill me much hope. I've predicted a loss.

Macdonald is probably the harder to replace, though Morris is the bigger loss, if that makes sense. Think either we opt for Merrie, Knight-Percival or Hayde at left-back or maybe play 3 at the back using Hawkes and Cogley as wing-backs. In one of the Pizza Cup games Hawkes filled in at LWB for a spell and did surprisingly well. I agree with others that Spearing didn't look fully fit when he came on, so another sub spot for Jay.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The team selection will be interesting. I think a 442 featuring McPake and Merrie would be very lightweight defensively against strong opposition, and Micky might be tempted to start with five at the back as Boz suggests above. However, I can't see him using Hawkes as a wing back for ninety minutes, and think Merrie would be more likely to play that role.

Hemmings and Nevitt are showing signs of developing a very strong partnership - one of the positives of recent weeks - and I think Mellon will be reluctant to return to one up front, whatever the opposition.

The home ticket sales are slightly disappointing at this stage, as might be expected with automatic promotion looking unlikely, but the Pirates have already sold 1,200 tickets.

A victory would be a huge shot in the arm ahead of the final few matches.

Player
Manager
John King
McPake misses the game due to injury according to Micky, so I think a change of shape is quite likely.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
That’s frustrating news about McPake. His time at Rovers has been very stop-start, but we could do with another wide player, given Morris’ ban.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I’ll be tuning in from Tenerife for this one so look forward to any reports. I was hoping with Morris suspension that mcpake would have four games to get some match fitness and nail down a place but sadly not. As RLC says a change in shape is possible although I’d still expect Nevitt and Hemings to start so not sure what that may be. Perhaps Mcmanaman will be given a start with him and hawkes on the wings. We need more from the latter who hasn’t done much of late. As I think Boz said recently spearing looked a bit rusty when he came on last week so it’ll be interesting who starts out of him, O’Connor and Warrington.

The visitors are in fine form having won 5 out of 6 - but then so were Mansfield and Swindon a bit further back and we dispatched both of those sides so we are capable.

Player
Manager
John King
I would not want MacManaman anywhere near the starting eleven to be honest Sparky. I just don't think he offers enough for a game like this, but a 532 with NKP back in the side does not appeal much either.

I wonder if we could play a 442 diamond in the absence of the wingers ?

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes RLC you may be right. Mcmanaman has had a few chances this season and never really delivered. The diamond may enable Micky to incorporate spearing, OConnor and Warrington and possibly hawkes

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Mcmanaman has had a few chances this season and never really delivered.
He’s clearly passed it, even at league two level. Shame the club couldn’t see that before they signed him.

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
shame but not a big loss as for Macca a waste of space and a wage hope our new Director of football does his job and we don,t waste what we don,t have in the future the home crowd is looking quite poor but it's what you might expect

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
Whilst I expect us to set up very defensively with the loss of Morris, MacDonald and McPake I do hope that we do try and give something going forward. Hawkes is probably our most creative and dangerous player so it would be a real shame if he was pushed back.

This game on paper looks like a comfortable away win all day long, but you never know with Tranmere!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Mcmanaman starts as does NKP in for Davies who is ill. Spearing on the bench

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Having seen the team, oh dear, happy to take a point.
No sign of Maguire, very odd as only 6 subs

ADD

Player
Norwood
Oh dear indeed!
Davies and McPake COVID I assume as Twitter says illness rather than injury...

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Echo the remarks about the line-up today. Missing Davies as well as the banned pair is a big blow. The absence of Maguire from the bench and our decision to only name 6 subs is a little strange. Hope this isn’t going to be a re-run of the Forest Green home game.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Not really git going yet, need ti get into the game

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
0-0 at the break. Please tell me we’re attacking the kop second half!!??