• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Pirates

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Bristol Rovers

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Pirates
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, April 9, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, April 9, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I still think if it was purely his intention to close the game down and play for a point, he would not be using two wingers away from home.
What do you think is the reason we have scored so few goals away from home and the games I've seen created so little

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
What do you think is the reason we have scored so few goals away from home and the games I've seen created so little
Lack of confidence and conviction away from home, and a shortage of goals in the squad in general in the first half of the season.

drwhoman

Lack of confidence and conviction away from home, and a shortage of goals in the squad in general in the first half of the season.
The summer recruitment has been raised. I know it is not just one player but why, foe example, was Mani signed? L2 was clearly too ambitious for him. Or Maguire, clearly considered a passenger almost from day one. Were they signed before MM returned?

Player
Manager
John King
Interesting. I hadn’t appreciated Merrie had done so well on Saturday and see he also got voted MoM on the club fans poll. It remains a puzzle why he’s been overlooked and only really picked when we’ve run out of options.
I think he looks better at left back, where he played on Saturday, than in midfield.

I think O'Connor and Warrington are better than him, so perhaps no surprise that he has not featured regularly.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think he looks better at left back, where he played on Saturday, than in midfield.

I think O'Connor and Warrington are better than him, so perhaps no surprise that he has not featured regularly.
O'Connor is primarily a defensive midfielder and a very good one. I did feel that when Spearing was fit, the pairing with O'Connor didn't always offer enough attack-wise. Warrington is very talented, but physically a bit lightweight. Merrie has an eye for a good pass out of defence, you can see that in his contribution to the season opener and also the ball to free up Nevitt v Carlisle. I don't feel the gulf between Merrie and the others you name is that vast.

Player
Manager
John King
O'Connor is primarily a defensive midfielder and a very good one. I did feel that when Spearing was fit, the pairing with O'Connor didn't always offer enough attack-wise. Warrington is very talented, but physically a bit lightweight. Merrie has an eye for a good pass out of defence, you can see that in his contribution to the season opener and also the ball to free up Nevitt v Carlisle. I don't feel the gulf between Merrie and the others you name is that vast.
I still don't think he is as good as the other players you mention, and don't forget Foley has been very good at times this season as well.

Merrie played OK in midfield at Colchester, but in the Trophy games earlier in the season he was pretty anonymous in that position. I don't think he is as dynamic as O'Connor, or as talented and creative as Warrington.

I think he is a decent squad player. I don't think his inclusion or exclusion made any material difference to our chances of promotion.

Last edited: