• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Pilgrims

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
An in form Plymouth side are the next visitors to PP buoyed by an impressive 3-2 win against an albeit rotated Swindon in the JPT this week. Currently lying 8th in L2 they have an experienced gaffa in the form of former Oldham man John Sheridan plus a goal threat at this level through Rueben Reid and the likes of Lewis Alessandra.

This will be a sterner test you would think than what rovers faced (and toiled against at times), on Tuesday night.

RE was complimentary about the performances of Koumas & Holness so expect them to start to give some experience. Personally I'd like big Odejayi to remain in the starting Xi but with someone up alongside him. The question is whether RE will play 5 in midfield mindful of another bad day at the office and being cautious from the start.

It will be interesting what the spirit is like after a win on penalties but one which should not paper over the cracks still evident in the side. An early goal for us will settle the lads down but if we go behind then things could go sour.

Not wishing to be negative but what price this being REs last game in charge? Given Carlisle & Hartlepool have changed managers recently.......

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I honestly think every game we play now is a real struggle with the confidence issues effecting everyone club and supporters . This is going to be a tough one. I'd agree with Sparky. If we get an early goal, that will settle the nerves. If we huff and puff for too long, things could turn. Keep the big man up front and let's get this new loan signing form Swindon to give him some support. We need someone with a bit of pace and trickery alongside him.

I wouldn't imagine the rest of the side would change from what we saw the other night, although I'd keep Brezovan in goal, although that probably won't happen.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Fonners is away on international duty, so Brezovan will start and it will be interesting to see how he does. I would agree with most of the sentiments above. We are so poor at the moment it is difficult to see us winning this game, but Plymouth's away record does offer a glimmer of hope, as they have lost three out of four away from home. Rueben Reid would appear to be their main man.

It seems that Edwards will start with Koumas and Holness, which smacks a bit of closing the stable door after the horse has bolted, as they should have been in the side when confidence levels were still reasonably high. Despite doing ok on Tuesday night I still don't like Odejayi as I think his presence encourages us to play hoofball, which does not suit us, and I would prefer us to start with Donnelly or the new lad, depending on his preparedness. I would personally keep Richards and Baggie either side of the main striker him in a 4-3-3.

Let us hope something turns for us tomorrow.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Just a thought as I like to remain positive..
If Carlisle and Hartlepool win today and we don't, we'll be bottom :eek:

Although I think Hartlepool may actually be worse than us, so it's a slim chance.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Not good. I'm a "glass half full" person, but my glass is leaking badly at the moment. I would never want anyone to lose their job, but I can't see any way back for us as things stand.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Pathetic. Something has to change. Rooted to bottom without a clue.

Player
Manager
John King
Pathetic. Something has to change. Rooted to bottom without a clue.

Agreed. Something has got to give. Sorry your prediction came to pass Ian.

I thought the performance as a whole was massively disappointing, but we did actually create enough chances in the second half to take something from the game. However, as in all recent games we missed them and let Plymouth, who were very poor in the second period, off the hook.

The starting line up was wrong. We won our first game in ages on Tuesday, yet our two most dangerous attacking players, Richards and Baggie, were both left on the bench. Even more bizarrely, we started the game with a 4-3-3 formation with Donnelly and Barker deployed as wingers. The shape and balance of the team was all wrong, and in the first thirty minutes Plymouth got control of midfield, took the lead and our backs were against the wall once again.

Edwards did spot that his 'tactics' were not working and moved Barker off the wing into the hole, but too late. In the second period we were on top, but seriously lacked confidence and quality in the final third.

Man of the match was between Holmes and Donacien, although Barker worked really hard and I felt sorry for him playing in such a clueless outfit.

I am hoping there will have been a managerial change by the time we play Oxford, in what is already a massive game for the club.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Thoroughly depressed. To be bottom of the 92 league clubs almost feels as bad as last seasons relegation.

Similar pattern of late. We did have chances but missed them and they took theirs. I agree totally that RE picked the wrong side again. We need pace in the side and to not play Baggie or Richards was unforgivable.

Palios must see this. RE can complain about the budget but he has brought in many of the players and he picks the team and tactics.

To think 2 years ago we were flying high at the top of L1.

Carlisle and Hartlepool both have showed what removing the manager can do. We must do the same.

Player
Backayogo
uite clueless, I thought. Edwards seems to have no tactical nous whatsoever. Thought Koumas played well but had no good players around him.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
His decisions are just bizarre at times. To leave Baggie on the bench just makes no sense. I think he's seriously out of his depth and we must stop this nonsense before we are cast adrift.

Player
Manager
John King
Even the timing of the substitutions was wrong once again: we were labouring for most of the game, yet the first change comes with 12 minutes remaining. In addition, by making three changes simultaneously the subs were not given enough time to gel and settle into the game.

drwhoman

Not a pleasant job for the Palios but he has to go. Out of his depth. Defence despite a few lapses has not been totally inept and he has lost a couple of experienced players to long term injury. However, there is a degree of randomness and increasing desperation about his attacking selections and strategies which suggests that he does not really know what to do and that he is hoping for a 'eureka' moment amongst his front players. While good strikers are like hens teeth at any level we really do seem to be signing players with pretty poor scoring records. They now need an experienced and competent Manager to get them through the season. Someone mentioned David Jones - he would probably be too expensive longer term but he might be prepared to do Mark a short term favour. All will be revealed on Monday I suspect. If not, we must really start to worry!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Just seen REs post match video interview. I felt a bit sorry for him to be honest and he seemed clearly emotional. He will no doubt be aware that a job back into football management if he gets the boot will be difficult. I suspect he is trying hard and as he has pointed out, some of the players in recent weeks need to take a long hard look at themselves.

But as has been said, most rovers fans would agree his substitutions and tactics etc will have contributed and the buck stops with the manager.

I doubt Dave Jones would be too expensive given he has been out of the game for a while. I know many would see it as a backward step but personally we could do far worse than bring Ronnie back - an argument for another day / thread perhaps......

Player
Manager
John King
I know many would see it as a backward step but personally we could do far worse than bring Ronnie back - an argument for another day / thread perhaps......

I agree with the thrust of your post, but this would be sheer madness in my view. Regardless of his suspension, Moore deserved to be sacked for his performance last season, where he put together a squad which, in my opinion, was weaker and more imbalanced than the one we have now.

I feel sorry for Edwards but preserving our league status is everything; there is really no room for sentiment. Long term, I would still like to see us appoint a young manager in the Mark Cooper / Lee Johnson mould, but in the short term we simply need someone who can ensure we stay up.

I should add, of course, that there is currently no managerial vacancy and it appears Rob will be with us for at least one more week.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
We'll agree to disagree on Ronnie. I still think he was unfairly treated but let's not go over old news.

Dave Challinor an option. Still young and doing well with fylde leading the conference north.

But your right. Let's hope things pick up and we don't need a new manager!

drwhoman

I did think of Ronnie but after what happened last season and the unfortunate recruiting effort the previous summer (although we do not know what cash constraints PJ was putting on him) I think it is best to think afresh. There is no doubt the RE is trying hard but he may well be one of these guys who is a loyal assistant and not a leader. A hard nosed decision has to be taken sooner rather than later. There is simply no evidence that things are improving. If anything they are just drifting. We are still in touch with the other strugglers and action has to be taken asap if we do not want to resurrect derbies with Chester, Wrexham and possibly Southport if they stay in the Conference.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I thought 1st half we were not very good and they passed it around very well much better thane we did but in the 2nd half we played much better and really should've scored through free headers from Donelly and Barker.

The big worry is who will score for us, Odejayi can be a handful but wont score many Donnelly not going to score many either.

As for RE he clearly isn't the man for the job and needs to be sacked as I fear we will go down if he stays all season.

Player
Backayogo
The players aren't all that good but also not all that bad. We need a Manager who can motivate and kick backsides.

TRFCJason

Player
John Aldridge
Its a real shame to see my home club in this state and its looks like there is no hope, we will be the biggest club in the conference....