• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Orient

Rovers v Orient
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, December 18, 2021 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, December 18, 2021 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Rode our luck at times but dug in for a good win. Orient looked a good side to me and will be play offs at least if the season finishes normally. Their no. 9 will be rueing the 2 gilt edged chances he missed. Onwards and upwards!

Reactions: Boz

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Much better second half, great goal from Spearing, though we had to thank Doohan for a great save and the O’s forwards for some wasteful finishing in the last few minutes as we held out for the win.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Is it just a coincidence that as our possession stats are dropping off our results are improving?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Another fantastic result and I think we just about deserved the victory in the end. Orient controlled possession for long periods, but created very little until the last five minutes when Smith forced a good save from Doohan and spurned another chances. By contrast, we had three or four good opportunities over the ninety minutes in addition to the goal, with Hawkes the main creator.

I thought the first ten to fifteen minutes were excellent, with Jolley again looking lively and causing their defence real problems. A couple of crosses flashed across the box which could easily have been tapped home. We then lost our way for twenty minutes, with Orient dominating the ball, but we defended well and restricted them to half chances. The main problem in this period was that we turned possession over far too quickly, moving the ball from front to back every time rather than building through midfield. I think the defence and midfield took the instruction to hit the two strikers early far too literally.

The second half was better, as we were more compact and looked the more dangerous side until the closing stages.

Individually, I agreed with the sponsors that Morris had another good game, but I thought Hawkes was man of the match. He was the real creative spark today and our best chances were created by him. However, Doohan and the back four were also excellent. Ross did not have to make a serious save until the 85th minute but his handling was very good, and we look far more assured with a centre back pairing of Clarke and Davies.

Up to fifth place in the league, one point off the automatic places with a game in hand. A fantastic position, and it is just a pity our winning run is likely to be disrupted by Covid.

Player
Manager
John King
Is it just a coincidence that as our possession stats are dropping off our results are improving?
No, I don't think so. I think with the switch to two strikers there is far more emphasis on getting the ball forward earlier and playing in the areas that count, rather than possession for its own sake.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A hard fought 3 points which takes us up to 5th and in touching distance of the top 3.

Both sides started well but the longer the half went on the more I thought they got a foothold and had lots of possession in our half but did little with it.

Second half was more of a stalemate but the goal came when a pull back from hawkes was fired into the top corner by spearing. Late on Doohan made a great save but Orient sent the rebound and at a later headed chance over. We may have been a bit lucky with their poor finishing but it’s a third 1-0 win on the bounce.

Thought the front two worked their socks off and the defence was very good again but MOM for me was Hawkes who won us the match by setting up Jay and looking dangerous throughout . Onwards we go.

Player
Manager
John King
Nice to hear Spearing single out Jolley for praise in his post match interview.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
After a bright opening 10/15 minutes they were the better side the first half passing it around very well though not creating very much.

Spearing goal was an absolute cracker and we had a few opportunities to get a second in the last 10 minutes they had several chances to level but thankfully didn't take any.

We were far from convincing against a team with several players missing and only 4 subs but a very good win which puts us in the mix.

The recruitment in January is going to be interesting to see who we can bring in.

Reactions: Boz

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I broadly agree with bigmart's summary above.

In terms of MoM, I would have given it to Hawkes. A couple of great balls into the box, the run and shot at the end of the first half and an assist for Spearing's winning volley. Morris worked hard, but not as incisive as he can be.

First time I'd seen Jolley in the flesh and thought he did fairly well, battled hard and some nice skill on the ball. Nevitt was more patchy, he didn't make the most of some of the quality balls floated into the box early on.

This will be the last match I attend in 2021. Hoping that we'll still be able to go to games when Scunthorpe come to town early January but not confident of that.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Much better second half from Rovers. I thought we just looked a pit off the pace in the first half and struggled to keep the ball. Orient were quite physical and it was quite a battle but our defence showed how solid they are and the winner was a great finish. Going really well in the league now and we seem to have found some rhythm. Great result going into the Xmas period. Let's hope we have a good Xmas and we come out fighting some more for the run in. We are well in touch and only six points from second.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

Player
Manager
John King
It is worth bearing in mind that Orient had an extra man in midfield in their 451 system, which is partly why they retained possession better for periods of the game. We sacrificed possession, but in my view had the better chances.

I can't see any games going ahead after Boxing Day, and I think even that fixture must be in some doubt.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I can't see any games going ahead after Boxing Day, and I think even that fixture must be in some doubt.
I hope not. Ultimately it's down to the personal responsibility of both our players and those of the opposition. Hopefully all can be sensible enough over the Xmas period with their contacts and the available testing. I will be , even with the option to work from home, so would be disappointed if the footballers (who I am paying) aren't as responsible.

drwhoman

I hope not. Ultimately it's down to the personal responsibility of both our players and those of the opposition. Hopefully all can be sensible enough over the Xmas period with their contacts and the available testing. I will be , even with the option to work from home, so would be disappointed if the footballers (who I am paying) aren't as responsible.
I agree entirely. Interesting comments from Klopp that he will not have unvaccinated players. Too hard to run the show while having to deal with those who choose not protect themselves and the rest of the squad. Great goal from Jay Spearing!

Outoftowner

Player
Chris Merrie
Manager
Micky Mellon
I agree entirely. Interesting comments from Klopp that he will not have unvaccinated players. Too hard to run the show while having to deal with those who choose not protect themselves and the rest of the squad. Great goal from Jay Spearing!
I agree with Klopp - any selfish (dickhead) unvaccinated players should be booted into touch !

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The league has confirmed there will be no break, though games are likely to be called off due to the outbreaks

Player
Manager
John King
I should have added the caveat *with supporters*. From Mart's comment, it seems there will be three or four games behind closed doors, which did not happen in 2019-20.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Issues about fairness arise though. A club who manages to have enough players to put out a team, but that home game is behind closed doors will lose out in terms of both finance and having fan support, to one who’s game is postponed to a date when fans are allowed back in. My preference would be a circuit breaker approach for a couple of weeks where no games are played, then reassess.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Issues about fairness arise though. A club who manages to have enough players to put out a team, but that home game is behind closed doors will lose out in terms of both finance and having fan support, to one who’s game is postponed to a date when fans are allowed back in. My preference would be a circuit breaker approach for a couple of weeks where no games are played, then reassess.
Boz, I fully understand your point. Also, why should clubs whose players keep themselves safe by making personal sacrifices lose out to teams who carry on as normal?

However, I don't see how a circuit breaker would work. The virus would continue to spread.