• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Oldham

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Oldham

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Oldham
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, April 30, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, April 30, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
On the keeping everybody back at corners tactic, I noticed Man City do it and it’s worked ok for them. They do have players with pace who can attack the cleared balls better though.

I don’t follow the player/manager interviews religiously, but don’t recall Clarke, Spearing or Mellon owning up to their own failings in any that I’ve seen. Think it adds weight to remarks about their colleagues if they were to be frank about their errors in the game or how we’ve set up tactically and got it wrong.
In fairness, Mellon always emphasises that it is a collective effort and he bears ultimate responsibility, and this is the first occasion that he has publicly criticised the players. Even then he did not single out individuals. That is quite a contrast with some of his predecessors.

No manager is going to publicly admit to a series of failings, because he then immediately loses authority and credibility with the players. I think it is fair enough that he called the players out for an exceptionally poor performance at Stevenage.

Player
Manager
John King
Not many players remain from last season to this yet the outcome has been the same
It is speculation, but that is why I think the influence of senior players like Clarke and Spearing is not necessarily positive, particularly with such a young starting eleven.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Don't want to pick on one player but O'Connors pre match interview has just annoyed me. It's just the attitude. "Yeah, we don't really know why the away form is so bad but all we can do is move on now". We need more than that. We need emotion, we need a fighting sprit, it's all just too mundane for me. Next season we need a really good mix of youth and experience, not one end of the spectrum to the other. Players who have fight in them and the willingness to improve and want to win.

Player
Manager
John King
Over 7,000 sales for tomorrow's game, with 1,600 Oldham fans, so it will be a decent gate.

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I wonder when the 1600 Oldham fans will decide to invade the pitch?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Shame Merrie has picked up an injury, less bothered about Mcmanaman’s absence for similar. Would probably preferred McPake to start ahead of Hawkes given Josh’s recent poor form, otherwise the same line up with the banned players returning.

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
not going so bad so far shame I am doing a level 4 health and safety course its breaking my head

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Decent half, could do with a second to finish them off.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Well we won and have an outside chance still of making the play offs though realistically it isn't going to happen.
A pretty decent performance and comfortable win which could have been by more goals in the end.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
An annoying set of results elsewhere with Sutton losing, meaning that if we had also won last week, reaching the playoffs would have been in our control. As it stands, we must win next week and hope Swindon lose at Walsall, Sutton fail to win at Harrogate and Salford don’t win their last two games. All those results are quite possible. Unfortunately, the least likely is Rovers winning at Leyton Orient!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
An annoying set of results elsewhere with Sutton losing, meaning that if we had also won last week, reaching the playoffs would have been in our control. As it stands, we must win next week and hope Swindon lose at Walsall, Sutton fail to win at Harrogate and Salford don’t win their last two games. All those results are quite possible. Unfortunately, the least likely is Rovers winning at Leyton Orient!
Story of our season, good at home, woefull away

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Nice to round off our home campaign with a win against a very poor Oldham side. It could have been more with hawkes firing over first half, Hemmings denied by their keeper and then missing a chance at the end when foleys pass was just behind him.

Two good finishes today from Hawkes and Hemmings. Both could easily score plenty next season although Josh continues to frustrate at times but does have a goal in him. Good performances from the back four with McDonald in particular playing well. Great to have Morris back but MOM for me was Warrington and hopefully it won’t be his last ever game at PP.

We’re still in it with an outside chance but given the loud chants of Micky Mellons SWA it’s clear the majority of the SWA are behind the gaffer

Player
ian goodison
to be honest I found it a horrible afternoon apart from the Oldham fans the place was like a morgue, we played like a team with one foot on the plane, if one thing sums MM up it,s taking a striker off for a mid-fielder when we have 2 strikers on the bench, I hope we don't start next season with o,connor/warrington the amount of times the ball went back was painful, be glad of a break to be honest

Player
Manager
John King
I agree with most of Sparky's post above. I thought it was a good performance against a poor Oldham side, who were dreadful defensively, and the victory should really have been by a bigger margin. We look a much better side with Morris in the team, and I think if he had been available for the last four games we may well have made the top seven, irrespective of the struggles away from home.

I came away thinking we have a very decent first choice eleven, but we just need a bit more genuine depth in certain areas.

Individually, I thought Morris was superb and was man of the match, but Tom Davies was very assured at the back and ran him close. Hawkes had another up and down game, yet scored one and came close with another two chances. As Sparky comments, he is always a goal threat, whether arriving late in the box or shooting from distance. There was a great interception from Lewis Warrington in the build up to the second goal and some other nice passages of play from him. He just needs to bulk up physically to be a complete midfield player. Hemmings' footwork and lay offs were excellent at times, and it was an emphatic finish for the second which he made look far easier than it was.

We go into the Orient game with some hope, and in the likely event that we do miss out on the play offs, it will only be by a couple of points. The chants for Mellon during the game demonstrate that a vocal minority on social media do not necessarily represent the wider fanbase.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Today I guess was just another reminder of how frustrating it has been winning so often at home and only a few better results on our travels would have seen us in the play offs.

I guess it might mean that not too much needs fixing for next season. You could argue today was our first choice eleven. Reinforcements needed of course but no major overhauls I don’t think