• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Oldham

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Oldham

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Oldham
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, April 30, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, April 30, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
An interesting pre-match interview with Micky where he is highly critical of the players, and questions the character and attitude shown away from home. It is the kind of interview a manager gives when he knows either he or a number of the players are on their way out, which I would suspect in this case is the latter. As could be predicted, he exempted Clarke and Spearing from criticism but also singled out Lewis Warrington as showing good character since his arrival.

In terms of selection, Mellon said Murphy and Davies are both available, in addition to the two suspended players, and I think all four will probably come back into the side after the Stevenage debacle. Callum MacManaman is apparently out with concussion, so I would guess Hawkes will have to start in one of the wide positions, in addition to Morris.

Oldham are of course already relegated and there have been rumours of a pitch invasion during the game to protest against their corrupt owner, or even the introduction of an away fan ban after the disturbances at their last game, albeit there has been no concrete news in that regard.

Our chances of making the top seven are obviously miniscule, but I just hope we sign off with a decent performance and a victory, as Prenton Park has been a fortress for us this season, whatever our other shortcomings.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Whilst I always love going to the match I’m a bit flat about this Saturday. Partly because of the anticipation of some trouble with the Oldham fans but also that I’m fairly certain our play off chances are gone.
In theory with our home record it should be a slam dunk home win. Oldham players will surely be going through the motions although some will I guess be playing for contracts after manager John Sheridan said today he is staying on next season to get them up. We’ve been linked with the latics Kellor-Dunn who has had a decent season and is a decent attacking midfielder at this level.

I’ve not seen Micky pre match yet but given RLCs comments it sounds almost like Micky has accepted promotion is unlikely and as a result the shackles are off and he can be a bit more honest with the media about our problems.

As RLC says we’ve had a great season at home and if we can win it would put a bit of a smile on the SWA fans faces even if other results don’t go our way. I just hope that if we went behind the fans don’t let the overall recent form create a negative atmosphere for the last home game of such a good season at PP

overthewater

Player
chris malkin
This narrative that there are issues around the attitude of some of the players begs the obvious question : who exactly ? I've been to every home game and half a dozen away games and, McManaman apart, can't really say I've seen obvious examples of players not giving 100% for the shirt. Several were left out after the Newport game leading to MM's bizarre team selection at Northampton. Are the lads left out that day - Davies, MacDonald & Hawkes - the ones that Spearing and Micky have in mind ? Hawkes has certainly been a big disappointment since he signed. I suppose attitude in training and behind the scenes generally have a bearing on things and we'll never really know - until we see who is offered a new deal and who isn't !

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Haven’t seen it yet, but not entirely convinced by Micky’s reported remarks. What is delivered on the pitch is as important as attitude/character. From what I have seen and read, others who MM does not exempt from criticism appeared to have as good as if not better games than the trio mentioned.

I will be missing this game and can’t say that am sorry about that. Think from an Oldham angle the atmosphere will be toxic. In the absence of any regime change at the top I can’t see many of their players wanting to stick around for the NL. Rovers should be able to beat them but fear a scrappy game with pitch invasions from the visitors which will disrupt the flow. We have to go for the win and hope for miracles elsewhere.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
This narrative that there are issues around the attitude of some of the players begs the obvious question : who exactly ? I've been to every home game and half a dozen away games and, McManaman apart, can't really say I've seen obvious examples of players not giving 100% for the shirt. Several were left out after the Newport game leading to MM's bizarre team selection at Northampton. Are the lads left out that day - Davies, MacDonald & Hawkes - the ones that Spearing and Micky have in mind ? Hawkes has certainly been a big disappointment since he signed. I suppose attitude in training and behind the scenes generally have a bearing on things and we'll never really know - until we see who is offered a new deal and who isn't !
We will no doubt yet again be the only team who do not have a retained list so no way of knowing for certain who the players are.

Player
Manager
John King
Haven’t seen it yet, but not entirely convinced by Micky’s reported remarks. What is delivered on the pitch is as important as attitude/character. From what I have seen and read, others who MM does not exempt from criticism appeared to have as good as if not better games than the trio mentioned.

I will be missing this game and can’t say that am sorry about that. Think from an Oldham angle the atmosphere will be toxic. In the absence of any regime change at the top I can’t see many of their players wanting to stick around for the NL. Rovers should be able to beat them but fear a scrappy game with pitch invasions from the visitors which will disrupt the flow. We have to go for the win and hope for miracles elsewhere.
I think when he refers to character, Mellon is talking about what is delivered on the pitch. I thought it was interesting that he singled out Warrington for praise, given that he has been criticised elsewhere in recent weeks. Lewis certainly does not go missing and shirk responsibility, even when he is not at his best.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think we'll probably end our decent home record in style against the struggling Latics maybe winning by 2 or 3. Although it's been a disappointing end to the season I'll still be gutted when the final home game has finished. What will my weekend comprise of now? Shopping trips and visiting relatives! :speechless:

ADD

Player
Norwood
MM's pre match interview was indeed interesting as RLC says - when Hill was saying that last season it was characterised as throwing the players under the bus but as it is MM it will be considered by most as fair comment. Made easy to differentiate between the two I might add by the fact that Hill was how he was from day 1!
For me I think it sums up the season pretty well. We have underperformed so badly away for home that MM now needs to shift the blame from his tactics which to me are the main reason for that to certain unspecified players. However, whether it is the players or the tactics is irrelevant - as I fully expect MM will be in charge next season.
As to the game itself I would play Stratulis, Hayde and Burton for the last 2 games to see if they can perform and earn a new contract. Their attitude will be far better than that showed by most of the players last Saturday who frankly know that if not already under contract (aside from Davies, Morris and possibly MacDonald) they will will not be offered new deals.

Player
Manager
John King
If we need to get rid of virtually all of the uncontracted players as they are not good enough (something I agree with), Mellon's tactics can't solely, or even principally, be to blame for our failure to make the top seven. There have to be significant issues regarding the quality of the squad itself.

Mellon bears ultimate responsibility for everything that happens on the pitch, but his input is clearly not the only significant factor, as evidenced by a virtually identical collapse happening two seasons running under different managers.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Mellon bears ultimate responsibility for everything that happens on the pitch, but his input is clearly not the only significant factor, as evidenced by a virtually identical collapse happening two seasons running under different managers.
Yes, it is very strange and something I can't quite fathom out as like you say, we had the exact same problem under Hill and the exact same reactions from players. Very odd.

drwhoman

Yes, it is very strange and something I can't quite fathom out as like you say, we had the exact same problem under Hill and the exact same reactions from players. Very odd.
Somehow, for whatever reason the squad cannot handle the pressure! Why away from home in particular? As young men they cannot be that wedded to hearth and home!

drwhoman

Somehow, for whatever reason the squad cannot handle the pressure! Why away from home in particular? As young men they cannot be that wedded to hearth and home!
It is an observation and nothing else but Everton also have a dreadful away record. It seems that they have the same problem there!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Not many players remain from last season to this yet the outcome has been the same

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
Talking of Everton, I noticed in the derby game they had every man back for corners/free kicks which is another similarity to us, particularly if they do it all the time. It’s been something I’ve struggled with the explanation and logic of freeing up Clarke, If you leave more back it just invites more opposition players forward, negating any man advantage, gives you no outlet, leads to overcrowding and “organised” chaos in the box minimising the opportunity to play it out and ends up in lump it away football the majority of the time, concedes possession and invites more pressure. I can’t remember any other team doing it against us home or away.
The potential counter argument to that, without looking at it forensically, is that our home record is decent so the tactic could be deemed successful, but our away record counteracts that argument.
It does arguably bare weight to the viewpoint expressed by some that Micky’s tactics are defensive.

Player
ian goodison
I can only speak about the home games, yet I can,t question the attitude of the players yes some have poor games but to me its more about ability (we are league2) than attitude, spearing comes across as a teachers pet with his remarks. no mention of the managers dinosaur at times tactics, his habit of falling out/cold shouldering of players, strange substitutions ie taking off a winger putting a striker on the wing when he ignores the winger on the bench, we don't score many goals but when we do I see the WHOLE team go over to a man to celebrate, maybe spearing/mellon need to look in the mirror before deflecting blame/criticism away from themselves.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
On the keeping everybody back at corners tactic, I noticed Man City do it and it’s worked ok for them. They do have players with pace who can attack the cleared balls better though.

I don’t follow the player/manager interviews religiously, but don’t recall Clarke, Spearing or Mellon owning up to their own failings in any that I’ve seen. Think it adds weight to remarks about their colleagues if they were to be frank about their errors in the game or how we’ve set up tactically and got it wrong.

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
at the end of the day, it was a new team built apart from a few, the buck stops with the manager it is his job to get the Team playing and to motivate them, home Brilliant away fkn shocking and to say we need to be a bit better away take the fkn blinkers of man and open your stubborn eyes, as for this Lad from Oldham with mm,s record of failures with attacking midfield players why would you want to come to us, and yes knowing Tranmere they will win 6-0 tomorrow

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I just hope we don’t have a situation where somehow lots of results tomorrow go in our favour, but we can’t win at home against a relegated side.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Murphy back in training - will be interesting if he comes back in

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I just hope we don’t have a situation where somehow lots of results tomorrow go in our favour, but we can’t win at home against a relegated side.
That’s a slim one Sparky!