• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Newport

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
After the morale boosting victory at Brunton Park last week, high-flying Newport are our next visitors. County have started the season well and sit in third place, but suffered a shock six nil thrashing at home to Yeovil last week. I doubt that result will have any bearing on Saturday's game at all, save for giving the opposition some extra motivation. As with Carlisle, their squad is not star-studded, but there are some familiar names like ex-Grimsby striker Padraig Amond and former FGR winger and our Wembley nemesis Keanu Marsh-Brown.

As regards our own team selection, I think Micky will start Smith ahead of DMH but will probably stick with Stockton up front, despite Mullin's cameo last Saturday. MM just seems to like Norwood and Stockton as a pairing, and I think he prefers to use Mullin as an impact sub at this moment in time.

Prediction: a draw would be a decent result after last week's unexpected victory, but I have a feeling we will sneak a win. Hopefully the crowd will break the 6,000 mark, with a couple of hundred from Gwent. Three points would see us move into the play off positions, which would be a fantastic effort by players and manager, even at this early stage.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Arguably it's a bad time to play Newport, just after their surprise hammering. They have started the season well and will be keeping things tight. The last time we played them at PP, keeper Joe Day stood out in a one-sided 0-0 in the Rob Edwards era, with Bell-Baggie missing a couple, but he was the keeper who had a 'mare last weeked.

I don't know how we'll line up. Smith's lack of stamina makes him an ideal candidate for 'impact sub', but DMH doesn't look the part at all and Tollitt isn't in the picture at present. While Stockton might start again, my view is that Mullin deserves a chance after an impressive showing at Carlisle.

Would expect a similar crowd to the last game and a scoring draw.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Micky is the type of manager who likes to keep a settled side unless forced to change through injury, suspensions or bad results. As none of these three apply, I don't expect much change. Mullin won't start as he can't replace Stockton as a foil for Norwood. Playing Paul would require Nors to play more as a centre forward.

Player
aldo
I think mm will start with the team that finished on sat . I know he likes cole . But how mutch can you play a front man who dont score. Norwood can only do so mutch. And with no goals from the defence or midfield we will struggle if not careful. I think and hope paul scores again on sat to realy put the cat amongst the pigeons. 3-0 with just over 6k . Also we are trying to get the clubs match day takings over 100k . So if we can all spend a fiver in the ground then we will do it .

Player
ian goodison
I go to the games with my son-in-law & 2 grandsons and we all have a go at pre-dicting the score we all go for a rovers win but I always think I,m gonna put the mockers on the lads but here goes 2-0 banks & nors fingers crossed !!!!!!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I think if we can get on the front foot and go at them we should beat them and I think we will 2 0

Player
Manager
John King
Mullin and Buxton start, Caprice apparently injured. Smith on the bench.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Not really been in this one. Newport had the much better chances. Need more in the forward play, it’s looking a bit pedestrian.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Defence seemed to stop for their goal, expecting an offside? Shot just wide after a Monthe error and a good save from Davies have kept us in with a chance. Don’t think their keeper actually had a save to make, Norwood coming closest late in the half.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Disappointing result. We had a couple of late efforts well blocked/saved, but some poor decision making let us down. Would have been interesting to know if things would have panned out differently if the referee had clamped down on time-wasting earlier.

Player
Manager
John King
Pretty woeful to be honest. There was a lack of quality all over the pitch today, with poor passing and, most noticeably, a real lack of creativity.

People have been clamouring for Mullin to start alongside Norwood: well, today's game shows why Micky has not wanted to play them together. There was no understanding between the strikers and no hold-up play, with any long balls quickly returned to our half of the pitch. Because the ball was not sticking up front, we could not get up the pitch as a team and build any kind of momentum. In fairness to the strikers, the service from midfield was dreadful for most of the match, with Banks in particular having an awful game.

The quality in the wide areas was not much better, and it is no surprise that both wingers were subbed on sixty minutes. DMH was ineffective and the Jennings issue still has not been resolved, as Connor is clearly uncomfortable playing out of position at this level. Cole and Smith did perk things up a bit when they came on, but other than Norwood's chance in the first half, I can't remember us getting behind their back four all game. They were a horrible, physical team and wasted time from the fifth minute, but they were resolute and well organised defensively and deserved their victory.

I thought Zoum and Macca were our best players, but few others come out with credit.

A disappointing day and plenty for the manager to ponder.

joe

A wake up call. Where is Tollit by the way? Not even on the bench.

Player
ian goodison
that was grim Jennings needs a rest in my opinion too many players of the pace mullin will only be an impact sub to me ref was dire but thought nors should have not got involved with him it seemed to affect him great support from the crowd

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Very frustrating but one of this games when I felt we could play all night and never score.

Mullins first start but he showed glimpses of why he’ll never get many goals and isn’t good enough in my view if we want to challenge. Stockton is the same - he’s like a statute some times. Let’s face either neither Cole or Mullin are good enough.

Keep the faith is spot on about Jennings. He’ll be a legend after setting up Nors at Wembley but once again he was found wanting.

The subs changed things but I do think Tollit should be given a chance. Banks delivery was poor - often over or under hitting things.

No need to panic but we’re still look very limited in terms of creativity and attacking threat.

Player
Manager
John King
Neither Stockton or Mullin are world-beaters, but Stockton is a much better partner for Norwood. You can criticise him as 'statuesque', but at least he offers himself for the ball with his back to goal and links the play. I think he would have been much better suited to a game like today's, up against giant centre-halves.

I would be amazed if Stockton does not start at MK Dons next week.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I agree RLC that Cole is the better partner for Nors and I bet Mickey is kicking himself for making the change.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I don't think the manager could be criticised for giving Mullin a start, after his efforts at Carlisle, coupled with the fact that Stockton hasn't hit the ground running on his return. I agree that the Norwood-Stockton partnership works better, but it would be wrong to attribute this result solely to the forward line-up as a lot of things were going wrong elsewhere. Stockton frustrated today by sitting far too deep outside the box, when we were attacking, there were some good balls into the penalty area and scuffed clearances, yet he was rarely going for them. It's something he is capable of, the only goal he's got for us this season was converted from close up.

I don't think Davies had much chance with the goal and made one quality save, along with McNulty, you could probably exempt him from criticism. Thought Buxton did ok on his return, accepting he's never going to have the pace of a Caprice. Monthe had an off day and I don't know if this unsettled Zoum, both were guilty of pumping far too many aimless long balls into the box during the later stages.

Mostly agree with the comments on midfield, but feel that Connor Jennings might have merited a chance in a more natural role, he is not a winger. The substitutions were all like for like today again, so Newport weren't forced to adapt their game plan. Smith did ok when he came on, after the first ten minutes, when he was far too narrow.

The next two fixtures; Franchise away and Lincoln at home are potentially really tough games and we need to adapt to get something from them.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A very poor performance and a disappointing game, Newport reminded me of a typical National league team, big physical and adept at time wasting.

Mullin and Norwood is not a partnership that will work as they are far to similar in style of play both are better suited to playing with a target man type of striker.

Worryingly we created next to nothing except Norwood's chance in the first half and the good tip over from Larnell Cole's shot right at the very end

Player
Manager
John King
I wonder if it is time to switch to 532, at least when Caprice is available again.

I think it is asking too much of Jennings to play out of position on the left and a change of formation could see him return to his natural position behind the strikers. On the other wing, DMH has been extremely poor and Tollitt is out of the picture. I am a big fan of Smith, but if he is not getting in the side I don't see how a 442 formation benefits us in the wide areas.

With their pace and mobility Zoum and Caprice are natural wing backs, and Buxton always looks most comfortable on the right side of three centre backs.