• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Newport (League Two Play Off Final)

Rovers v Newport (League Two Play Off Final)
Posted by Ian
Wembley Stadium
Saturday, May 25, 2019 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, May 25, 2019 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Not a lot more to add. The game tested the nerves less than last year with fewer goalmouth action but we won because of Micky's shrewd changes. Jay and Kieron were sacrificed for Ben and Macca, allowing 4-5-1 to become 4-4-2 with Jake and Ben wide and Connor giving Nors support up front. The fact that Jake's cross was headed in by Connor must have pleased Micky more than anyone. I thought the whole defence was brilliant, the midfield worked hard and was in control most of the match. Nors did what he could and never gave up.
No success for 27 years and now this!

Reactions: Boz

drwhoman

Yes! Well done Rovers! Glad that Steve McN got on. A Hugh factor in our success in the last few seasons. Another crucial intervention from Conor after last year. Will be interesting to see what happens with the squad now. It will need some tweaking to be successful in L1 week in week out particularly if Monthe and Norwood go. Andy Cook back?

Player
aldo
oh the defending was amazing we where solid . and newport where superb as well very well set up and played there hearts out . but we won and thats all that matters .

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
There was some dispute over a possible penalty for Newport for a Manny trip on Matt but the referee gave offside instead. To add insult to injury we then broke and O'Brien fouled Nors and was sent off. We had most of the luck today but after the wretched misfortune we've had over the past ten years, I can live with that.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It still has not really sunk in. While my feelings at the final whistle did not quite match the euphoria of last year, Connor's winner was a moment of ecstacy that matches any in my time supporting Tranmere. I really felt at that stage that we were drifting to penalties, and I felt certain we were going to lose as psychologically Newport would have had the upper hand. I never quite believed back to back promotions were possible, until that moment in the 129th minute today.

I thought Newport gave us a very tough game and were unfortunate to lose, if I am honest. In the first half they were the better side. We started brightly for fifteen to twenty minutes, but they gradually got a grip of things in midfield through the physicality of Labadie, and Matt led the line really well for them and was a handful.

However, once again Micky made vital tactical changes which effectively won us the game. With Newport by-passing midfield he saw that Harris was surplus to requirements and replaced him with Pringle, switching to 4411. Our midfield play immediately improved, with more quality on the ball, and we were the better side for the first twenty minutes of the second half. However, Newport came strong again, but the unlikely introduction of McNulty was equally inspired. We were still struggling with the aerial threat of Matt, but switching to 532 we had three centre halves to deal with the aerial bombardment, and also benefited from Macca's leadership and experience, which was vital in extra time.

I was pleased that Buxton and Pringle played a part in the winning goal, two maligned and marginalised figures in recent weeks. It was a great little shimmy by Bucko to get into the box which created the opening for the cross from Caprice and Connor's finish.

We were never really at our fluent best today, but there were some massive performances: the two centre halves were excellent and limited Newport to relatively few chances; Perkins and Banks worked very hard in midfield; there was an incredible double save from Scott in the second half; both full backs had decent games, although the deliveries into the box were generally poor, with Caprice saving the best until last.

Micky surely now stands behind Kingy as our second greatest manager, and huge credit also has to go to Mark Palios. When we were relegated to the Conference in 2015, he said he wanted to return us to League One within five years. We have actually made it with a year to spare.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Just got in. Oh hell yesssssss! What a day, what a goal, so proud of them all today. Great time to be a Rover. SWA!!

drwhoman

Agree RLC. A tight game that we just about edged. Someone had to lose and it was not us! Just as well there was an offside when MM got his tackle wrong! Great defending though under an aerial bombardment! Macca was immense at the end. Both finals won with close range headers. To take nothing away from Connor, the one last year by JN was probably better as he had to ‘manufacture’ where he put the ball.

Player
aldo
matt jones says connors goal is the latest ever scored at the new wembley . also scottie has 23 clean sheets witch equals a club record

ADD

Player
Norwood
RLC's summary was very accurate IMO. Overall Newport were very unlucky and yes I do feel sorry for them but then again we have had some terrible luck in recent seasons and so it was great to have the rub of the green for once. Ironic that it was Caprice's one and only decent cross amongst all the dross he served up that won us the game! Felt a touch sorry for Harris being subbed as he was doing nothing wrong but being the team player he is he will see the big picture. I too was amazed to see Steve coming on but fair play to MM who yes I have criticised a number of times this season for his subs... he got this one 100% correct and from lots of balls bouncing around in our box all their hoofs forward were soon headed back to the centre line! For me the tension built amazingly - from thinking it would be nice to win but we had done well already this season to we had to score as I didn't fancy penalties to my god we are in L1. Truly amazing!
Finally and I know I am waffling but my emotions are still in turmoil a mea culpa! When we had that awful loss at Notts County in December I thought we would be lucky to finish top half. How wrong was I... MM's recruitment in January was perfect and we were so much better with Perkins etc. Now the hard part - expectations will be raised and MM will have a really difficult close season with a number of players released and others moving on. Here's to him and Jacko doing the business over the Summer and giving us a team that can match those expectations!! So proud to be a Tranmere fan this morning!!!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Not much else I can add really, what a day what an incredible end to the game, get in we have done it league 1 here we come

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I just saw an interesting Tweet from one of our fans regarding the cup games against Spurs and Southport, which it is easy to forget at moments like this.

Remember the debate about whether we should rest players at Notts County to ensure we beat Southport two days later ? Fortunately Micky did pick a weakened team at Meadow Lane, which ensured we beat the Sangrounders and faced Spurs. As depressing as the 7-0 defeat to Tottenham was, without the money we earned from that game we would not have been in a position to bring in Perkins, Pringle, Morris and Nelson, and promotion would probably never have happened.

Small details that can have a huge impact on the history of a club.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I just saw an interesting Tweet from one of our fans regarding the cup games against Spurs and Southport, which it is easy to forget at moments like this.

Remember the debate about whether we should rest players at Notts County to ensure we beat Southport two days later ? Fortunately Micky did pick a weakened team at Meadow Lane, which ensured we beat the Sangrounders and faced Spurs. As depressing as the 7-0 defeat to Tottenham was, without the money we earned from that game we would not have been in a position to bring in Perkins, Pringle, Morris and Nelson, and promotion would probably never have happened.

Small details that can have a huge impact on the history of a club.
I remember the debate well, as I was quite vociferous about the importance of getting the Spurs money. It may have cost us three points, but without the new loanees we surely would not have had that seven match winning run which secured our play-off place. After years of being convinced I was supporting an unlucky club, my mindset has changed. I now know that I support a well run club with the best owners and one of the best managers at this level.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Sorry you couldn't make it to Wembley, AM. But at least we got the right result for you! There will be some great games at PP next season.