• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Morecambe

Rovers v Morecambe
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Thursday, May 20, 2021 - 06:00 PM
Until: Thursday, May 20, 2021 - 08:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Not the result that we all wanted but how refreshing to see a Tranmere team play football again with passion and verve in the opposition half, everything thats been missing from our game literally for months. Yes, we made mistakes defensively, particularly in not killing off second balls, and they were costly but playoff games are notorious for the need for an element of luck and today that was missing for us. Morecombe came to frustrate and hit us on the break but in reality their goals were not created from brilliant counterattacks but from deadball situations caused by defensive errors which could and should have been avoided but both of which contained that element of luck. On another day we would have got away with those errors but it was not to be today. The post-match interview from Dawes, despite it being after his first defeat as Manager/Care-Taker Manager, was also a breath of fresh air delivered in a quiet dignified manner by a man who most definitely understands the sructural "nuts and bolts" of the game, can accept failings, both personal and teamwise, looks to deliver a brand of football that both the players and supporters of Tranmere Rovers want and clearly has a passion for the club we all love. How pleasant not to have to listen to self-centred ramblings of the previous incumbent. Wharever the outcome of the "second half" of this tie, and the ultimate League we find ourselves in next season, I personally would welcome Dawes, and Parky, being given a meaningful opportunity to move our club forward.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Pretty much agree with everything that was said on here already except that Morecambe will play a more expansive game at home - I don't think they will - in fact I think they will sit back even more and hope that if we don't score early on we will start to push up too much and leave gaps for their counterattacks since one goal will likely finish it off for them.
Really frustrated that we succumbed to two poor goals from set piece second phase - that should have been worked on better - I noticed their Twitter feed made a point of highlighting the second phase angle - it was clear as day that that aside from lightning breaks that was their only other avenue to score.
BBC Sport had us with 75% posession, 11 corners, 17 shots but only 3 on target whereas they had 4 shots with 3 on target - says it all really. We simply were not clinical enough (again) as with that level of possession and territorial advantage you have to score more.
That said what a revelation to see us playing proper football again - I can cope with losing if we play like that and we give it a good go - after all on another day with those first phase balls cleared we could have won that easily if they felt the need to come out of their shell themselves and left gaps. Individually CBT great first half but then it was like a light was switched off and he thought he had done enough already. Didn't understand the Khan substitution who for me did well and stepped up to the plate playing back in his proper position linking well with Spearing - thought Morris who did little in my book should have been the one subbed as he was poor. Khan taking some of the set pieces rather than Feeney who simply doesn't hit them in hard enough and wasn't great again would be something I would prefer.
Going to be difficult now but assuming Vaughan comes out of it ok - he will be more in tune with the play on Sunday - couple of times he didn't make runs to lovely through balls that he would typically have made. Have to defend better though simple as.

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
I think Morecambe only know how to play one way and can't see it being any different at home. It was pretty similar when we played them at their place in the league, even before the sending off. We did gift them the opportunities to get the ball in the box for both goals and rather than pick up the spare men, we crammed everybody in the box making it difficult to defend the second phase (reminded me of the Cheltenham throw-in debacles when too many bodies had a negative impact). On the positive side, in the first half we were expansive and had an urgency about our attacking play which was a pleasure to watch. Feeney's corners were miles better, but the rest of his performance was pretty anonymous. Second half seemed more reminiscent of our recent games with slow build-up, possession for posession's sake and not much cutting edge; we can say that Morecambe sat back, but we gave them the time and opportunity to do that.. CBT great first half, but knackered after that; he did get frustrated on a couple of occasions when not given possession. Vaughan not at 100%, but clearly still a menace. Atmosphere was good and remained supportive and positive throughout. Officiating left a lot to be desired, summed up by their physio bringing himself on without permission, Lloyd carrying his bag off and the ref doing sweet FA. Morecambe are no great shakes and we're definitely not out of this; real pity we can't be there to get behind the lads. Despite the result, great to be back at the game, although a little hoarse this morning!

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
This thread is rare in the unanimity of the reviews. Dawes and Parky will have seen exactly the same so it will be really interesting to see how they change things, if indeed they feel that changes are required.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
This thread is rare in the unanimity of the reviews. Dawes and Parky will have seen exactly the same so it will be really interesting to see how they change things, if indeed they feel that changes are required.
It's even rarer to have unanimity on this site after a defeat and with everyone still fully behind the manager. ;)

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I would certainly be a lot more disappointed if we had blown our chances but although it will be tough, we still have 90 minutes to play and we are Tranmere, we never do it the easy way!

There were certainly a lot more positives yesterday so we can take heart from that and go again on Sun.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
If we do miss out on Sunday, I can't help thinking what might have been this season. The first half last night and Dawes' previous period in charge demonstrated the talent there is in this squad and what the players are capable of, but they were spectacularly poorly managed by Hill.

There is no reason why we could not have gone up automatically this season.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
It was definitely a missed opportunity.
But I do think that it wasn't just KH team decisions which has scuppered our chances.
The last two seasons has seen a major overhaul of players and staff, along with the decision of the EFL to demote us on PPG. In hindsight the decision to bring in KH is another bad choice, as well as Jackos appointment, and we had a poor January window. A manager who brought remarkable success, was allowed to leave. And the continuation of the stability he brought to the club, has gone. There has been since we won promotion, a period of big changes and because of covid, the future is certainly gonna be tough. Wether we go up or not, there is another overhaul of the players. Most are out of contract. Who will be manager, will also effect the who is brought in, Our spine of Davies, Clarke, Spearing, Vaughan is is well past its sell by date. Can we compete in league one or do we need to regain the stability in league two?
We do not need another relegation season, that is certain.
Regardless, it will be fun. We never do anything easy!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Agree with RLC, this season feels like a wasted opportunity given the calibre of squad we had. Mike Jackson's negativity and Keith Hill's mismanagement have a lot to answer for.

Think we've only got 5 players; Davies, Macdonald, Spearing, Vaughan and Jolley under contract next season, Scottie won't be fit until the end of the year, so a big re-building exercise, so if the caretakers don't take over then an early appointment is preferable. Orient have just appointed Kenny Jackett, a decent option for L2 level.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Agree with RLC, this season feels like a wasted opportunity given the calibre of squad we had. Mike Jackson's negativity and Keith Hill's mismanagement have a lot to answer for.
Yes definitely. You could see what the squad were capable of when Dawes and Parky took charge after Jackson but it has been a major failing with the managers this season. Having said that, the season is not over yet so let’s keep our fingers crossed for Sunday. Huge performance needed from the players.

Player
aldo
hi all been a very busy week.I do like Daws and Parky shame MP did not pull the trigger a couple of games before might have had more of a chance was happy with the more flowing of the team and at last the attacking of the players

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir

Think we've only got 5 players; Davies, Macdonald, Spearing, Vaughan and Jolley under contract next season, Scottie won't be fit until the end of the year, so a big re-building exercise, so if the caretakers don't take over then an early appointment is preferable. Orient have just appointed Kenny Jackett, a decent option for L2 level.
I think it's not a bad thing that there is likely be a big overhaul of the squad as it will give the new manager chance to shape his own squad. And frankly there are very few players in the squad who I would be sorry to see leave.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think it's not a bad thing that there is likely be a big overhaul of the squad as it will give the new manager chance to shape his own squad. And frankly there are very few players in the squad who I would be sorry to see leave.
I agree in a sense, but I think it is difficult to judge this group of players as they have been so poorly managed for the majority of the season. Purely in terms of ability, I think the majority of them are perfectly capable at this level, and some at the level above.

The contrast struck me last night that Morecambe, who have much more limited players, have a manager who plays absolutely to their strengths, whereas other than the Dawes caretaker period I don't think we have played to the strengths of our squad. They have had systems and styles of play imposed on them which did not suit them.

drwhoman

I agree in a sense, but I think it is difficult to judge this group of players as they have been so poorly managed for the majority of the season. Purely in terms of ability, I think the majority of them are perfectly capable at this level, and some at the level above.

The contrast struck me last night that Morecambe, who have much more limited players, have a manager who plays absolutely to their strengths, whereas other than the Dawes caretaker period I don't think we have played to the strengths of our squad. They have had systems and styles of play imposed on them which did not suit them.
Agree. CBT is a classic case. A bit of a maverick who was frozen out presumably because he did not follow instructions. It was no wonder he faded the other night. When was the last time he played 90 minutes? Not under Hill I think. We will need his spark on Sunday to break Morecambe down. Otherwise, they will just play as they did at Prenton. Soak up the pressure and seek to score on the counterattack. One goal to them and, sadly, I think it will be all over.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
It was interesting both post match interviews made reference to the senior players being more involved in how we play. It sounds likes with Keith it was his way or the highway!

ADD

Player
Norwood
If we do miss out on Sunday, I can't help thinking what might have been this season. The first half last night and Dawes' previous period in charge demonstrated the talent there is in this squad and what the players are capable of, but they were spectacularly poorly managed by Hill.

There is no reason why we could not have gone up automatically this season.
So true sadly...

Player
Too many of them after over 50 years!
Finally got round to resetting my password ...

can’t really say any more than everyone here and commend Dawes for coming to the same conclusions!

win or lose, I think next season will see a vast improvement in playing style. If that is to be in league two, so be it. It was good just to see the seeds of a more attacking style.

i hope that they go for it on Sunday. I am confident they will.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Need to keep that spine of Clarke, spearing and Vaughan. The better side has gone through. Defensively we’ve not been great over the two games and once again, unable to score more than one goal. That has been our undoing for weeks and again today

We huffed and puffed towards the end but it wasn’t enough.