• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Morecambe

Rovers v Morecambe
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Thursday, May 20, 2021 - 06:00 PM
Until: Thursday, May 20, 2021 - 08:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
aldo
yes it is early but who cares I think CBT will be on the wing and so will Feeney, also think Lloyd will play down the middle of the park can,t see James starting so think it will be Nugent who I hope has been told to stay in 6yard box and be greedy or just score a goal hope we get smiles on the lad's faces, let us hope we can make some chances and more importantly take some, I am really looking forward to seeing the AMAZING FANS back you who can go DESERVE IT for supporting our AMAZING club

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It will be interesting to see how Dawes approaches the game. I would guess he will use the diamond formation as in his previous stint in charge, with CBT up front alongside A.N. Other. I get the feeling Vaughan will be deemed fit enough to play 45-60 minutes, in which case he might well start the game. If not, I would be tempted to play Woolery up front, as I think he will offer more played slightly out of position than Nugent, who I can't see being any more effective even under new management.

I am pretty sure we will be more positive and attack-minded than in recent weeks. However, it will be difficult for Dawes to instantly turn around the form of a team that has been under-performing horribly for months now; even in his previous spell in charge it took us a half at Harrogate to settle. The one advantage we have this time around is that the players will understand how Dawes operates and what he expects, rather than beginning from a standing start.

As for the rest of the starting line up, I would expect Manny to start alongside Clarke and I think MacDonald will be recalled. I think Kahn will be used in an advanced position, and Feeney might be rested and replaced with the under-used Kieron Morris. It was interesting that in the article in The Athletic this week regarding Hill's sacking, Palios was quoted as being unhappy with the extent to which Morris has been frozen out of the squad in recent months.

Our defensive record has remained pretty solid, even during the turgid form of Hill's final weeks in charge, and if we can take any kind of positive result into the second leg we will have a decent chance of reaching Wembley.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Going to be very tough to turn things around in such a short space of time, going for a 1 1 draw

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Like Mart I think it’ll be a close game which could end in a draw. Our lack of potency in recent months will hopefully disappear and we’ll look a completely different side under Dawes. However like RLC suggests we can’t expect miracles and Morecambe given the form they are in will be a tough opponent. We need to remember they won at our place and our victory up there was largely helped by the sending off if I remember rightly.

Player
aldo
also unlike when Daws took over the first time they will have had a week and a half to rest and get into the lad's heads and put their plans into place, we will attack more cant say we would score more but with the Super whites roaring the team on gutted I can't be there, I think a slender win or draw but our last home game with the two lads in charge we where 4-0 after 30 mins I would take that all day long:D

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I’m feeling surprisingly relaxed. Of course, I’d love us to go up, but even if we were hot favourites, we would be far from certain of being promoted. Such is the nature of the playoffs. As long as we restore some pride, I will be content.

Thursday’s result won’t worry me too much. It will be Dawes’ first match back in charge and the team may be take time to settle. A draw or a narrow defeat need not be a problem, as several teams have lost the first leg at home and gone on to triumph.

Last edited:
Player
aldo
me I am chilled and I hope the lads just play with pride and smiles on their faces and just enjoy a little freedom and can make chances

ADD

Player
Norwood
Think we have a very very good chance. Playing as we did against Sunderland we would be good enough to beat any side in this division. The last 10 games should be discounted in my book as that wasn't the real ability of those players either because they had downed tools/ due to tactics/ negativity/ playing out of position etc. etc.
Dawes will alow players far more freedom and I am excited to see them give it a proper go.

Player
Too many of them after over 50 years!
Given that away goals do not count as 'double' and that Morecambe are likely to score at home, I'm hoping for 2-0 at home and a narrow defeat away , maybe 2-1. Just hope it doesn't go to penalties away....

I do think that a combination of players feeling relieved Hill has departed plus knowing how Dawes had them set up (in correct positions) will mean they will approach the game positively. Vaughan , assuming he plays, will add that extra 'pepper' without the salt (aaaaaarghh!)

It's a lot to do with their mentality on the day. It would have been very negative if Hill had still been in charge.

And then there is the added bonus of season ticket holders attending.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think now the shackles are off, they'll be fired up and ready to go!

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
Hi all, first-time poster. It's important the crowd stays patient on Thursday and expectations are not unrealistic. It's going to be a tight and nervous affair. The ideal scenario would be to score early to ease the tension for players and fans alike. However, it's a two-part drama that could have a twist right at the end. Really looking forward to Thursday as the break and change of management has rekindled my enthusiasm and let's hope it's done the same for the players. I'd much rather be playing Morecambe at this stage as I think their brand of football will make it a better spectacle (then beat FGR in the final; what was I saying about expectations!).

Player
aldo
yea Welcome, yes feeling positive and content shame I am working so will have to wait till we get home to see score

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It's important the crowd stays patient on Thursday and expectations are not unrealistic. It's going to be a tight and nervous affair.
Welcome to the forums @Goody Two Shoes .

Yes, I do think it will be a nervy game for sure but I think this game gives the chance for the players to express themselves a little which they were able to do when Dawes and Parky where in charge earlier in the season. I'm hoping with the crowd behind them, we can come away with a positive result going into the second leg. Who knows, we might even fair better away from home!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Just watched the pre match interviews. Sounds like from what Spearing’s said that Vaughan is fit

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
I guess there's a differentiation between Vaughan being fit and Vaughan being fully match fit/sharp. It's difficult to replicate real match conditions in training and there's likely to be some ring rust still. Regardless, it's good news and despite his time out, he still looked hungry and energetic in his last, relatively brief, outing and has had further preparation time, so let's hope he's firing on all cylinders! Regardless of the physical aspect, definitely a psychological boost for players and fans. Anybody received their ticket yet?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah, I just hope they are extremely hungry and ready to go! No ticket yet for me.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I just hope Vaughan is fit enough to start the game, even if he only lasts forty five minutes, as scoring the first goal will be vital.

It was interesting that Dawes' interview was restricted to only five minutes and the questions were asked solely by the club representative. I can't think why..... In any case, it was refreshing to hear his modest, measured replies.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Yeah, I just hope they are extremely hungry and ready to go! No ticket yet for me.
Sadly it's another ticketing shambles rather like the online issues with season tickets

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
Sorry, forgot to say thanks for the welcomes.
Agree entirely with RLC comment about Vaughan starting and being proactive about the first goal rather than bringing him on as a reaction to how the game unfolds and potentially chasing a goal. Hopefully, he's fit enough to give us a good hour+ and his mission will be complete once he's replaced.