• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Man United

Rovers v Man United
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Sunday, January 26, 2020 - 03:00 PM
Until: Sunday, January 26, 2020 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The Maguire goal is interesting, because I am sure the instruction in League One when a central defender sets up to shoot from thirty yards is, 'Let him hit it'. No League One centre half would score that goal, which just emphasises the quality United had that we are completely unfamiliar with.

I agree that we should have stepped out and closed more quickly for a couple of the goals.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Have to say very very disappointed with the scoreline. We started great and in patches played very very well with some excellent performances but so disappointed at some of the goals conceded. I get that we were nervous to get too tight on the wings/ in midfield etc. but letting them have acres of space when they are clearly looking at shooting is simply poor... Yes we made a lot of money but that scoreline is an embarrassment when we are on TV across the world. Hopefully however we will be able to bring in more quality from the revenues and that is enough for us to stay up...

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Only just got home, so not had the chance of seeing the match highlights again and will put off that pleasure until tomorrow.

My view was this was an improved performance on the Spurs game, we had more goal attempts and made them very nervous in the opening minutes, only for United to take the lead with their first shot of the match. After that they scored with every effort in the first half and while the goals were good finishes, we could have made things more difficult for them. Some referees might have given a penalty for the Clarke-Martial coming together too. Couldn't tell if in the second half we made things more difficult for them or United eased off... probably elements of both.

There were some positives to take from the game. Ferrier worked hard although he never looked like scoring and CBT was a handful for their defenders. Gilmour looked assured when he came on and Caprice and Morris seemed to be involved more from an attacking aspect in the second half. On the downside, Scott Davies chose the wrong game to out himself as a Man City fan. He seemed rooted to the spot for their first half goals, while accepting their quality, would another keeper have got closer to or actually saved any? Manny Monthe seemed unusually hesitant and nervy, while it seemed like a game too far for our ageing midfielders.

MoM had to be the SWA, kept on singing even when we were well out of the game.

drwhoman

I was reflecting on the Rovers and Shrewsbury games. We were facing Matic and pereira. The Shrews were facing Jones and Chirivella. Skilful players both but without the Utd experience and physical presence. The Shrews were able to get a decent grip in midfield whereas we were simply unable to.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I was reflecting on the Rovers and Shrewsbury games. We were facing Matic and Pereira. The Shrews were facing Jones and Chirivella. Skilful players both but without the Utd experience and physical presence. The Shrews were able to get a decent grip in midfield whereas we were simply unable to.
I was thinking the same. It was Liverpool Reserves, while United played virtually their full first team. Rovers played another EPL team three days ago. Shrews last played eight days ago. As Martin Keown said on MoTD tonight, Rovers were tired and so played much deeper, allowing United to come forward.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Couple of times recently posts have seen fit to mention Gilmour looked assured/composed when he came on.
Wonder whether a place can be found in the starting 11 in centre mid or as a no. 10
He's a decent striker of a ball and can probably find a nice little pass better than most.

Player
ian goodison
hope I,m wrong but will be surprised if MM starts with Gilmore seems to me he doesn,t really trust him (only my thoughts) but perkins & danns appeared laboured today does micky change things with Gilmore / woodyard in mid-field and push somebody closer to ferrier or continues to play it safe? would go the whole hog and start pilling davies appears to think he,s a legend in his own mind at present

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I don't think we need to start chopping and changing based on the Man Utd performance. The players were probably tired and the opposition a different class to what we will face every week.

drwhoman

I was thinking the same. It was Liverpool Reserves, while United played virtually their full first team. Rovers played another EPL team three days ago. Shrews last played eight days ago. As Martin Keown said on MoTD tonight, Rovers were tired and so played much deeper, allowing United to come forward.
I take your point re fatigue BBTC. I am sure it took some players some time to get into rhythm and by then, unfortunately, the game was gone. Interesting that Liverpool are going to put out their under 23s for the replay. Not sure if that is good for Shrews or not. They will no longer be the underdogs and you might even say they would be expected to win.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
We won’t start the next game with the same team, as Woodyard will come into the side now available. There is a case for making other changes as 3 games in less than a week will take it’s toll on players, especially the older ones. I would play Gilmour v Sunderland, but as noted Micky doesn’t appear to have much faith in him, so a surprise if it happens.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Agreed - Woodyard will definitely start. McCullough is also available don't forget so we have plenty of options now if we need to rest Perks or Danns. Gilmour has IMO the makings of a very good player at this level but I suspect that MM thinks he is a bit lightweight and goes missing when the chips are down. For Wednesday, Wilson should start also - as he was on the bench I thought he would have come on yesterday.

Player
ian goodison
Wilson needs to replace caprice who seems really out of his depth we are 3rd from bottom for a number of reasons but only making 1/2 changes in mid-field to me won,t stop us sleep-walking to relegation I don,t know whether MM can make the changes to personnel/tactics to get a good run going it remains to be seen

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Agreed re SAF. Did Solskjaer fail to shake hands with Micky at full time, seen suggestion of that but was just keen to get away at the final whistle?

ADD

Player
Norwood
Agreed re SAF. Did Solskjaer fail to shake hands with Micky at full time, seen suggestion of that but was just keen to get away at the final whistle?
Boz he did but he took a long time doing it having shaken hands first with 3 or 4 of his backroom staff.