• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Man United

Rovers v Man United
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Sunday, January 26, 2020 - 03:00 PM
Until: Sunday, January 26, 2020 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Utd have been clinical, but a few Rovers have been below par, when everyone needed to be on top of their game.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Agreed Boz. We have stood off and gave them too much room. The space down the left is unreal. They gotta come out and at least fight in the second half.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Not the best result but we matched them in midfield although not in defence or attack. I’m proud of the way we battled and the support from the SWA right up to the end.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I was disappointed with the manner that we gave away the goals in the first half.

In the first ten minutes we were the better side, with CBT and Ferrier causing them problems as they did all afternoon. However, after Maguire's goal, which came from nothing really, we showed them too much respect and sat far too deep. I understand that we had to defend in numbers because of the quality United have in their side and the pace that they move the ball at, but we did not put any pressure on the ball until they reached the eighteen yard box, by which time it was too late. We did not cope with Maguire coming out from the back as the spare man, and the third goal epitomised our problems; he was allowed to waltz about sixty yards and set up the attack.

It is a pity, because I thought we were much better with the ball than in the Spurs game last season. We played some decent football in both halves, and Ferrier, CBT and Hepburn Murphy caused them genuine problems. I thought Morris also played well in possession and Gilmour looked good when he came on. CBT and RHM looked comfortable playing against high quality opposition. I also thought the back four did not do much wrong, despite the scoreline. The defensive problems were further forward.

We just need to make sure we spend some of the money we have made, and spend it wisely.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The 5th goal summed it up. Lingard and maguire had already curled in from outside the box and we stood off martial who went and did the same. Some criticism of Scottie but again unfair as all their goals seemed top corner or thereabouts.
Like RLC I thought Gilmour looked sharp and CBT arguably had his best home performance.
could have been a cricket score glad we kept it down in the second half.

on to Wednesday now. £500k in the bank and money to spends we need more goals.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Good summary RLC. We should have adjusted when they did and stick someone on Maguire.
Yep Gilmour looked composed as ever. Albeit he may not go round clattering opposition, but at least we rarely have to win ball back when he's on it.
Ah well - think of the dosh

Player
ian goodison
maybe Thursdays game was a game too many but considering uniteds side who were a class above us we at least gave it a go, have to disagree with some observations regarding some players but I suppose it,s the way we see things, it was great to see premier league players here rather than on the telly thought matic & shaw were excellent on the subject of luke shaw noticed at the end of the game he ran over to a supporter in the disables area and gave his shirt to someone not sure whether a rovers/united fan but a class act, the less said about their supporters the better nothing but obnoxious morons

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
In the first ten minutes we were the better side, with CBT and Ferrier causing them problems as they did all afternoon. However, after Maguire's goal, which came from nothing really, we showed them too much respect and sat far too deep.
Completely agree. Maguire was allowed so much time and room he was almost playing as a centre forward. We were never going to win but they didn’t do themselves any favours at times.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I think they'll recover mentally (as they did after the Spurs defeat) but three games in seven games is not easy. I hope they can recover and give Sunderland a good game on Wednesday.

Player
aldo
mm has said they have a few things lined up so hoping some players come in the next few days . it was always going to be one of those games we showed to much respect . hey ho lets get a reaction on thursday then we will all be happy

Player
aldo
one thing i will say the fans our fans where amazing today fair to them . also in the last 3 home games around 30,000 rovers fans have been to pp . please lets have a few more back regualy please

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Only turn up for the big games sadly. Nevertheless, we take the money and move on.

drwhoman

What a shame but a good effort. In reality OGS is still under the cosh and he had to pick a strong team. Not to have done so and to have suffered a closer scoreline might have been the end for him.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Like the spura game we stood off them and allowed them the run of the game, we hardly put a tackle in all game, it was like a training game for them

drwhoman

To say we stood off them takes no account of the fact that these are technically very gifted players who will simply run rings round you if you do otherwise. On a positive note, the game was on live here in Australia on pay TV although it did start at 2am! let us hope some of the cash goes on a goal scorer. Cummings might do!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
To say we stood off them takes no account of the fact that these are technically very gifted players who will simply run rings round you if you do otherwise. On a positive note, the game was on live here in Australia on pay TV although it did start at 2am! let us hope some of the cash goes on a goal scorer. Cummings might do!
They are very gifted, even more so when you give them time and spa e as we did today

Player
Manager
John King
Having watched the game back, I am not sure there was much we could do about the majority of the goals. I think we could have closed the ball more quickly for the fifth, and Jones had a free header for the fourth, but some of the others were just outrageous finishes or great football.

Going forward we caused them real problems at times and Ferrier and CBT were outstanding.

Player
Manager
John King
Like the spura game we stood off them and allowed them the run of the game, we hardly put a tackle in all game, it was like a training game for them
I thought we were much better with the ball than in the Spurs game.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
McGuires took a deflection which I did not see until watching it back. Still a decent strike though. Dalot showed good skill and finish for the second. The third, there were five Tranmere players around Lingard, not one of them closed him down. Again a nice finish but he shouldn't have had the time or space to shoot in the first place.