• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

EFL Trophy Rovers v Man City U21 EFL Trophy

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Man City

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Man City U21 EFL Trophy
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Tuesday, December 8, 2020 - 07:45 PM
Until: Tuesday, December 8, 2020 - 09:30 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It will be interesting to see how many changes Keith Hill makes for this game. I suspect that it will be limited to resting some of the senior players; Clarke, Spearing and Vaughan in particular. Might he change the diamond to a more orthodox 4 in midfield or even play with 3 central defenders and wing-backs? There's nobody obvious to play at the base of the diamond if Spearing is rested, it is definitely not a role Ollie Banks looks suited to, while Jack Young is cup-tied. I'd like to see a start for Danny Lloyd and at least a place on the bench for Jake Burton, given my doubts about Ferrier as a striker.

The City youngsters may be depleted by call-ups to the Chimps League squad, where first teamers are likely to be rested given qualification, but are still likely to be strong and one or two with first team experience. Wonder how many will turn up for this one, the EFL Trophy largely been treated (rightfully) with disdain by fans, but might more attend this given the lack of other chances to see live football?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think we will play the minimum four players who started on Saturday and rotate the rest of the side. At a guess, one of the full backs, Monthe, Lewis and A.N.Other will play and there will be changes elsewhere.

Hopefully Woolery and Lloyd put in decent displays and continue to press for a first team place. I doubt the crowd will reach 2,000 even with the paucity of live football available, which is as it should be.

I will watch on Ifollow. I wish I could attend but can't discard my principles, even in the current situation.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Should make the maximum amount of changes we are allowed to make & still should be too strong for them.

Whatever the outcome of the match I hope we can be more creative than we have for a number of games.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It’s a good chance for the fringe players and maybe make some tweaks along the way.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Should make the maximum amount of changes we are allowed to make & still should be too strong for them.

Whatever the outcome of the match I hope we can be more creative than we have for a number of games.
I can understand the attraction of resting lots of players and giving those fringe players game time, though I didn't get that impression from Keith Hill's answers. However, this City side have recently won the Youth Cup and topped their group in the qualifying rounds, so it would be unlikely that a Rovers second xi would come out on top in this one.

Player
Manager
John King
I agree it is likely we will lose if we play a weakened team, but we still should do in my view. We have got other priorities.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
its a dog sh&t comp you play the weakest we can and give the lads a rest, on a different note see Daws has been nominated for manager of the month, and hope he gets it
He has a strong case - 5 wins out of 5, but 3/3 if only league games count.

Incidentally, did anyone else notice that we won all 8 games we played in November? I don't ever remember us previously having a 100% record in any month.

Player
Manager
John King
Only Monthe, MacDonald and Lewis play of Saturday's team. Starts for Banks, Ferrier and Smith, Walker Rice and Burton on the bench.

drwhoman

Only Monthe, MacDonald and Lewis play of Saturday's team. Starts for Banks, Ferrier and Smith, Walker Rice and Burton on the bench.
Man City put 7 past the Liverpool reserve side the other week so they will be no slouches even without one or two on CL duty. Kelleher was in goal for Liverpool!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'm hoping that we can give the City youth side something to think about and at the same time give Keith Hill a few selection headaches at the weekend. Suspect that may be a bit over optimistic though. So long as we can avoid injuries to those key players in the starting xi...

Player
Manager
John King
I could not care less about the strength (or otherwise) of the opposition, or the competition. I just want Woolery, Lloyd et al to perform and push for a starting place.

We have got a relatively big squad and this is an opportunity for senior players to get fitness.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Anybody know what has happened to jack young he seems to have totally disappeared

Player
Manager
John King
City goal was offside and should not have stood. We have actually started ok.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
All over the show at the back again but looking bright going forward.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Wide open at the back, decent going forward