• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

EFL Trophy Rovers v Man City U21 EFL Trophy

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Man City

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Man City U21 EFL Trophy
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Tuesday, December 8, 2020 - 07:45 PM
Until: Tuesday, December 8, 2020 - 09:30 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Good first half. City had the more chances, take too many touches, but Rovers holding their own and an excellent finish from Lloyd after good work from Smith and Ferrier.

Player
aldo
what makes this comp even more crap is they haven't played last years final yet how does that work

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A deserved victory for Rovers. It was a pretty entertaining game with most of our players looking up for it, probably because of the current competition for places.

The first half was end to end, but after half time we had more control in midfield, with Banks influential. I thought Lloyd was excellent and was the stand out player and he must be due a first team start now. Woolery had a decent game and Smith showed some nice touches played out of position on the left wing. MacDonald was good going forward as a stand-in right back. Ferrier was poor and I am still not at all convinced by him.

We were open defensively in the first half, but that would be expected with a makeshift back four and no real protection for the defence.

Back to winning ways and a few decisions for the manager to make before Saturday.

Player
aldo
well said The manager has a few decisions to make glad Lloyd got his goal think he needs to start at the weekend 9 wins in 10 not to bad

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Morale will be high after that win! Very unexpected. Difficult (but nice) selection issues for a very tough game on Saturday.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It was a good performance by Rovers, unlucky to go behind to what looked like an offside goal and City failed to convert other decent chances in an end to end first half, with Danny Lloyd's screamer bringing us level. A rush of blood saw the City defender sent off for kicking out at Lewis and we gradually took a grip after that. I thought the penalty Kieron Morris won was on the soft side, but not complaining. After Ollie had put us ahead, there were a couple of nervy moments including a point blank save by Joe Murphy from Delap and we held on for 2-1.

Lloyd was the stand-out player, but there were lots of decent showings, such as Nelson at the back and Smith, particularly when playing out wide. I think Banks works best playing in a more forward role, but he had the chance to move forward more when City went a man down. Interesting to see how we line up at Exeter now.

Player
Manager
John King
It was interesting that we switched to a 433 tonight. I wonder if we will use that formation on Saturday ?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think we will probably start to see subtle changes as we go along now that KH has had a few games to assess the players and play the way he wants them too. Listening to him, he sounds like he has a lot going on in his head how he wants to shape the team. I think he's going to push players to see what their limits are. Today's game was great to show him what the fringe players can do and how he sees them fitting into the squad. I wonder how much Manny enjoyed his captain role tonight? Doesn't strike me as a talker, but good to give him some responsibility at the back.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
An entertaining, end-to-end, game. Man of the match for me was Lloyd, not only for his cracking goal, but for his terrier-like performance throughout the match.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Thoroughly enjoyed that game notwithstanding the nature of the competition! Some of their play despite being youngsters was real quality. Delap so good for example - on another night would have had a hat trick. Hill's post match interview was also very good and inciteful - suggested also that he maybe should have made more changes on Saturday due fatigue being higher than he had expected. Suspect we might stay 433 for a while now- talked about pressing being more needed and that helps. Individually thought everyone went well considering the quality of the opposition. Lloyd I agree stand out man - must be pushing for a start as must Khan IMO when he came on - I think he is quality at this level and will create. Banks had a decent game to be fair but don't think he will be threatening for a starting berth with the quality we now have in midfield and although Rides did nothing wrong think McDonald who did well today out of position will stay as first choice LB now. Smith best game for us I thought but still confused what is his best position - is he supposedly not an out and out striker? Lots of positives and a bit more money in the kitty will help.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Should make the maximum amount of changes we are allowed to make & still should be too strong for them.

Whatever the outcome of the match I hope we can be more creative than we have for a number of games.
There you go

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
While I’m unsure Banks has done enough to get into the starting xi, he offers something different and worth having as an option on the bench.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The Manchester Evening News report presents Rovers as very physical singling out Ollie Banks who “takes a break from trying to kick every City player in sight” to convert the penalty. I didn’t think it was that physical though Delap could certainly look after himself and Banks didn’t seem to merit that remark.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I thought that was a bit OTT too, although thinking about Banks from your previous comment, I don't think he likes the rough and tumble, certainly not with the big lads. He plays a good game when he's allowed space and not involved in any physical battles.

Player
Manager
John King
The Manchester Evening News report presents Rovers as very physical singling out Ollie Banks who “takes a break from trying to kick every City player in sight” to convert the penalty. I didn’t think it was that physical though Delap could certainly look after himself and Banks didn’t seem to merit that remark.
There is more than a touch of arrogance in those comments. 'How dare you tackle our little darlings !'. Either they want a physical match that truly replicates the men's game, or they don't.

Perhaps they should just get out of the competition as most lower division supporters want them to.

I did think it was interesting that they flagged quite badly in the second half and their fitness did not seem great, despite the resources lavished on them.