• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

rovers v macc

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
And a different song cos the words don't fit in!
Well improvise I'm sure.
Getting that Friday Night Is Prenton Night feeling now.....

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
As Ck says I hope the weather isn’t a leveller.

I’m guessing monty will go to left back and Ellis or Sutton will come in

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Only 6 subs? Presume Akkamadu out because we’ve used the full quota of loans with George on the bench. No place for Tollitt, or one of the youngsters.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The 451 isn’t working for us tonight, Norwood isolated and the midfield disjointed. Think MM needs to change things. Think I’d have found a place on the bench for Akkamadu probably at the expense of DMH given how the game is shaping so far.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Great work by Connor Jennings and fine finish by Harvey Gilmour for the winner, good turnout on a miserable night and with England playing. Overall a game to take more pleasure from tbe result than the performance

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
That wasn’t pretty but we got the job done. I agree with Boz, the 451 didn’t work tonight. The midfield area was jammed and we couldn’t get any real flow going. Having said that the goal was a quality one and we are up to 4th. Who’d have thought that a few months ago.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I agree completely with the comments above regarding the formation. We said a couple of weeks ago that five in midfield would not necessarily work if a struggling side came to PP and packed midfield, which was the case tonight. I was very surprised Micky did not switch to 442 in the second half and introduce Mullin. Then again, Gilmour would probably have been sacrificed if we had made the switch and it was Harvey who provided the superb winner, so Mellon probably feels vindicated. Connor Jennings also played a major part in the goal with the determined run and I thought he put a real shift in tonight and played well.

We started brightly enough with Banks, Gilmour and Smith looking sharp, but by the sixty minute mark those three had drifted out of the game. While Ollie is a talented player, I think he needs to cut down on the Fancy Dan stuff and stick to the basics when we are bogged down in games. I thought Buxton was excellent as a makeshift left back, the two centre halves were solid, Norwood worked hard in his lone furrow up front and McCullough was good, but it was not a night of star performances.

Although we made hard work of the game, we really should have won by two or three goals, as Norwood and Jennings both missed one-on-ones, in addition to Buxton hitting the post. As for Macclesfield, I thought they looked a poor but quite well organised side who were clearly putting a shift in for their caretaker manager. However, they had no real quality in the attacking areas and did not create anything in open play. I thought their most impressive player was their number 24, Rose, who had a great left foot and put in some fantastic deliveries from dead balls.

Not a great game, but the biggest crowd of the season and a victory that sees us up to fourth place in the league. The club is really going places.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
It wasn’t pretty at times but who cares.

Agree that 4-5-1 didn’t work tonight and up to the goal I was critical of Micky for not getting Mullin on and switching to 4-4-2.

At that point I would have taken Gilmour and Jennings off but mickys patience paid off when they combined for the goal.

It was always going to be a banana skin with added expectation after the Lincoln and Morecambe wins.

Agree that McCullough had a good game but my MOM was Buxton. Played very well even tho out of position and made a crucial block in the 2nd half.

Onwards and upwards.

drwhoman

A win is s win! just hope we can keep the loan players other than maybe DMH in January.

Player
aldo
well that was tranmere allover bloody hard work . but what a goal should have been more . what is with all the fancy flicks . most of em didnt work . agree 451 didnt work but a win is a win . and the round of tranmere are s$%&t was great

Player
ian goodison
felt at times all that was missing was gary brabin in the dugout whether the lads thought after 2 good wins this would be more comfortable I don't know but we seemed very laboured. I too would have taken Gilmore off for harris then scores a great goal which is why mickey is in charge and I,m in the JK stand !!!! still 3 pts still feel conor needs a break he looked knackered at times

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
As for Macclesfield, I thought they looked a poor but quite well organised side who were clearly putting a shift in for their caretaker manager.
Absolutely. I was quite surprised how organised and determined they were. They certainly didn’t look like a team who hadn't won a game all season. Having said that, there was a clear lack of quality in there.

Gilmour is an exciting prospect. His interceptions are excellent and he can clearly score a goal. Just what you want from a midfielder! He’s young so not perfect but the signs are good.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A hard fought win following the sacking of their manager was always on the cards, Connor did very well for the goal but looks a shadow of the player of the last two seasons.

We certainly have momentum at the moment and hopefully it will continue for a good while longer yet, finally a decent turnout last night

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Some interesting scores today.

A 98th minute winner for Newport sees them move four points ahead of us in third, while MK Dons leapfrog us after dismissing Cambridge as expected. However, defeat for FGR for the first time this season coupled with Stevenage's loss at Newport means we are in fifth place, with a three point gap to eighth.

Lincoln won 6-2 at Port Vale. I think they will win the league at a canter, with 90-100 points.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
The beauty of this league is that we're not all clamouring for the one promotion spot! Just as well cos Imps aren't hanging around.
No denying the effort Maccs put in but they were horribly short of quality.
Their woodwork free kick aside, at no stage was the game a nail biter even though we left it late. I too thought Gilmore was due to be subbed but what a great goal. And the set up from CJ was out of the blue. He then missed a sitter. The lad needs a goal and then all will be well in the CJ garden once again.
Two Ms at the back were spot on and Bucko justified being switched over.
MOM, McCullough by a country mile. He gets better each game with fitness. Nothing fancy, just a good reader of what's going on around him, putting fires out.
As good as Gilmore is proving, I think we'd miss McC more if he was to go back.
Unbelievable that its, what, 20 games or so since Maccs murdered us at PP. A game that I came away from simply shrugging my shoulders cos we were second best by miles. It must be hard for their fans, most of whom I've found to be decent football supporters when I've been up to their place
Im sure though onlookers will look at the table and see us as being "back where we belong" whilst viewing Maccs as a NL team that can't handle the step up.
I bet there'll be lots of NL fans half pleased that at least one of the promoted teams is holding its own to raise the NL profile.
As a final aside, to at least watch some degree of proper footie tonight, watched Shaymen against Chesterfield.
Stomach wrenching having to look at all the light blue Van***** track suit tops, advertising etc.
Finished 1-1
Chesterfield won their first three on the bounce emphatically. Not won a game since! Two points away from a further drop. After those three games their fans were probably thinking what's all the fuss about.
Spireites............... you now know you are in "the bin".

drwhoman

All based on a solid defence with McCulloch sweeping in front. Monthe has been a revelation. On Lincoln I am surprised that there has not been more active interest from up the pyramid. They must be paying him
Well!

Player
aldo
in lg 2 today not one home crowd could beat pp last night and only 3 in lg 1 did . we have taken 14 of 21 points at home scored 5 conceded 2 just be nice to score some more and have a comfy win now and again . its abt time the midfilders started scoring. long mey it continue

Player
ian goodison
I,m sure I read on this or the other forum McCulloch could sigh permanent in jan really hope so as him & banks are a great pairing