• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Macc (FA Trophy Semi Final 2nd leg)

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
very worrying slump in form and a lack of goals continues to hurt us, need to get back on track and make sure we get in the play offs. Please Micky use the money to get somebody in quickly

Player
Jonny Morrisey
Guys on a completely different game, has anyone seen any information regarding coach travel arrangements for the North Ferriby game? Cheers.

Player
Backayogo
I think it's as simple as, we just aren't good enough. The players we have are just not doing it. Mickey can say or do what he likes but he can't change it.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Summed up fairly well but not sure o agree. I think we have decent attackers and defenders plus a top keeper at this level. But the injuries have hit us in midfield areas and those left playing e.g Mekki aren't good enough.

It doesn't help either that MM is still tinkering with the formation and our decent strikers I.e. cook are not getting any service.

No point in moaning about it but you do wonder where we would be now if the injuries hasn't happened....

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Re injuries, we have missed Tollit badly, Dunn and Kirby to a lesser extent, but I still think we'd have done better if they'd been available. By contrast, the injury to Wallace forced Micky's hand and by playing Maynard (until his injury) and Harris, we've actually gained more than we lost in that area.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think it's as simple as, we just aren't good enough. The players we have are just not doing it. Mickey can say or do what he likes but he can't change it.

I disagree. We have injuries that would have completely crippled most teams, yet we are still third in the league.

We still have plenty of good individuals available, but the balance in the side is not right without the wide players. That is our problem at the moment.

Player
Manager
John King
No point in moaning about it but you do wonder where we would be now if the injuries hasn't happened....

Our current run of no victories in four games is actually our worst since Brabin was sacked in September. If Mellon had been here all season I doubt we would have had that early slump, so even with the injuries it is possible we would be top now if Micky had been here since the summer.

Regarding Boz's comments, while Wallace's injury forced Mellon to change things in midfield, it was Maynard who was outstanding prior to the Chester game and his absence has hit us badly.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
If we can get through this month without dropping too much and losing any more players we have eight games in April, that's roughly a game every 3/4 days, should be an interesting one.

I still don't think we have what it takes in the playoffs but I live in hope.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
After the dust has settled and the tears dried after yesterday's disappointment, I think it's worth taking stock by looking both back and forward, as well as dwelling on the last few games. Getting to the semis of the FA Trophy and reaching the play-offs (as I still think we will) was something we'd have been delighted with last season. Even when Micky was first appointed, I think many of us would have regarded that as being a good season.

The strange truth is we have not only had a lot of serious injuries at the same time, but all have been in the same department. We still have three fit keepers, a full set of defenders and all our forwards available. However, Micky had only four fit midfielders left on Saturday. This must affect Micky's options on formations and tactics. He will have his own reasons for not bringing in loanees; maybe none of the right quality were available. Some of the absentees will be returning soon, which will increase options.

Gary Brabin was one of the best managers in the NL. Micky Mellon is a class above and possibly only the exceptional Danny Cowley is better in this league. While Micky is not perfect, he has been incredibly unlucky and I think he deserves our full support. Let's get behind the team, particularly during this difficult spell, and hope that the return of the missing players will ensure we make the play-offs and go into them with some confidence.

Player
Manager
John King
Agree with everything bbtc - apart from brabin being one of the best managers in this league !

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Agree with everything bbtc - apart from brabin being one of the best managers in this league !
I knew someone would pick me up on this! In my defence, best is a relative term and I only said one of the best. When he was first appointed, I think most of us thought he had a good pedigree.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
There are actually a number of decent managers amongst the promotion contenders as well as the Cowleys and Micky; Cox, Waddock and Aspin for example. In terms of know-how, it's tough at the top. However, MM now needs to show his motivational skills to the full.

M

Mal

could be worse. Could be a Leyton Orient who are trying for the worst home record in history of the League.
We will see how poor current form is at North Ferriby who lost at home to Solihull 4-1 at the weekend. So if we dont score at least one.....

as for loanees, I just dont think there are any decent midfield players available just now. No point doing panic business.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Mickey has already said post match that none of the injured players are back anytime soon and that we'll just go with the group we have. Basically implying they are not looking to bring anyone in. It's a running joke that he says about out lack of wide options - Dawson should be ashamed of himself as he surely he doesn't have to do much to warrant an opportunity given we are so desperate. Yet he must have a real attitude problem in training.

Its a difficult stage of the season to bring people in - whether loans from football league clubs or raiding the lower leagues for talent. However I can't believe there isn't someone out there we could have brought in for a month or two - if only to lift the fit players who must be thinking our chances have been affected seeing Tollit etc missing. The team need a real lift at the moment. and a half decent signing could be the answer. I bet Cook is still well miffed after Saturday coz of 1) the idiots in the crowd shouting abuse at him and 2) the lack of service he got. I had hoped Saturday would have brought the team a lift but sadly not. A few goals at a poor North Ferriby side on Tuesday may help.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We actually have a problem with our fit players as well because Mangan and Norwood have quite frankly been terrible for months now. Contributing very little so although it looks like we have great options up front the truth is only Cook is doing the business at the moment and if we can't get service to him we will struggle for goals.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I agree that bringing someone new in could have acted as a spark to get our season going again. Alternatively, giving the out of favour Dawson or one of the youngsters a chance might bring about a change, whereas leaving things as they are doesn't inspire confidence that we'll get out of the current rut.

drwhoman

Fair comments BBTC but it is not so much midfielders but wide men we are missing. Dawson must be really struggling not to get a gig. We are going to find it hard to win games without a winger. Trying to play through teams, as Sat demonstrated, is not easy and it does not make best use of Cook who thrives on decent aerial service. The full backs only provide this spasmodically.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
38000 at Wembley see relegated York city beat Macclesfield in the final 3-2.

Pleased for Danny Holmes if nothing else who started the game