• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Macc (FA Trophy Semi Final 2nd leg)

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Well is this the biggest game of our season to date? I'd suggest it is with a ticket to Wembley on offer. Although not top of my wish list this season, I'd love to take my 10 year old son to the new Wembley. It seems an awful long time ago that Ned Kelly sent us wild with that equaliser prompting the loudest version of our regular chant at the time, "we only need 10 men!" - only for Matt Elliott to ruin things just a few minutes later.

This is a totally different competition of course but one of real importance. Not just for obvious reasons but our recent form hasn't been great. The injuries have hit us hard but a win on Saturday could be just the tonic we need to give everyone a boost. The players must see how we've been playing of late and see Tollit etc on the massage table and must have concerns about our promotion chances. The strikers are still generally misfiring except for Cook and a draw at Torquay won't have helped. The other semi sees York leading Lincoln 2-1 but I can't see the minstermen going through at Sincil Bank.

Alternatively a defeat will bring a bit more negativity following Torquay ahead of a Tuesday night trip to North Ferriby.

Expect Macc to field a similar line up with Jack Makreth who re-joined them on loan cup tied.

As for us, I can only assume Cook and Nors will return after Tuesday night. I don't like all this chopping and changing as strikers in particular like to get into a rhythm and build up an understanding. I'm sure Connor J will keep his place and apart from the front 2, suspect we'll be unchanged. Hopefully MM has been working on getting the front men more service from the 5-3-2 as relying on the wingbacks isn't enough.

Highly unlikely Dawson will get a game. Mickey said today relating to Adam: "We will play the best players we believe will play our system. Players need to force me to play them from training".

Prediction: too close to call. Poss extra time and the dreaded spot kicks (at least Cook, Nors & Hughes will all get one each so no fighting!)

Last edited:
M

Mal

Sorry to hijack but just noticed that from 25 March to end April we have 10 games with 7 at home. Part of me would prefer the other way round but maybe playing so many at home (4 in a row) will improve the performances. As for FA Trophy, be good to win as haven't been to the new Wembley yet.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
I'm sure MM will put out the strongest team he can. Rightly so in my view - we can't come this far and say "Nah....not that bothered after all". As comfy as we are now, it can all change and we've got no god given right to win the play offs. If the worse case scenario occurs, let's at least have this to look back on.
York are fighting for their lives just to stay in the league and I'm sure there's no talk from them about fielding a weakened team against Imps.
I can't see it being pretty and just hope we can produce that little bit of extra class.
A 6k plus crowd is very possible and could play it's part.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
At least getting to Wembley once this season would be an improvement on last season and to be honest every season since that memorable League Cup Final, one of the best days of my life. I think winning on Saturday would give the league form a real boost but I hate to think what a defeat would do. After my previous optimism, I'm getting a little nervous. It's no certainty we'll win and our form of late has been worrying. But cup matches don't always run to form, so let's hope Micky can find the right blend to produce the goods.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think the team will be right up for this one and we'll win by 2 or 3.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Like Sparky, I have not been to Wembley since 2000 and I would love the chance to visit the new stadium. I don't like the lack of respect most of our supporters show to this competition: the league is the priority, but anyone who followed non-league football before we arrived at this level knows the Trophy is very important to the smaller clubs, many of whom are proud of their history in this competition.

I think the team will be as stated by Sparky, with Cook and Norwood up front and Jennings behind them. I am looking forward to seeing Connor after his recent displays, and I personally think MM is right to make him the fulcrum of the team rather than Dawson or Mekki. Macc looked a decent side in midfield last week but seriously lacked punch up front and I think our attacking trio will be the difference. I am confident we will win the game.

Hopefully we will get a decent gate for this one, matching or hopefully bettering our average league attendance. I expect Macc will bring about 4-500 fans.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A minutes applause is planned in the 7th minute for Joe Thompson.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
This game wasn't initially on my to do list but a concert I'd arranged to go to in Halifax has been cancelled so should be able to make it now. However, I find it hard to get fired up for this game, coming off the back of the disappointing Torquay trip and the puzzling omission of Cook who I expect will return for this one. Not expecting any surprises in team selection, Cook and Norwood to return up front as Sparky suggests.

I don't think this will be an easy game at all. Macclesfield have done well in the Trophy before and their fans will understandably have more of an emotional attachment to it than ours. The sides have been evenly matched in the games so far, save for the second half at Macc when things went badly wrong for Rovers. My gut feeling is that we'll lose this maybe in ninety minutes or on penalties. If it does go to a shoot-off, think I'd keep Norwood and Cook away from the penalties on recent attempts.

It would be a surprise if the crowd is anything higher than the average, going on the turnout for previous games.

Player
Manager
John King
Sounds like Liam Ridehalgh is a doubt after picking up a knock at Torquay.

Reactions: Boz

drwhoman

Last time I saw Cook on Player he had his hand bandaged. is this a carry on from the finger injury he suffered earlier in the season? Might it explain MM's disinclination to play him at every opportunity?

Player
Manager
John King
I've been to the new Wembley. Never saw Rovers win in 3 visits to the old ground and if we do reach the Trophy or play-off final, might stay away given my track record.
Please do. ;)

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Thinking about the Ridehalgh injury presumably if Liam unavailable, Adam Buxton to come in? He played LWB at Chelmsford and by all accounts looked good. However did not do so well in his last game. Given Micky's reluctance to use younger players no chance for Clarke or Gumbs but would hope we have a defender on the bench tomorrow.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
While the rested Cook and Norwood return. If we're playing the diamond, is it Jennings or Mekki at the tip of it? Unfortunately missing this game, but will be tuned in to Wirral Radio

Player
Manager
John King
Jennings I would imagine, with mekki on the right of the diamond. Awful weather but a decent crowd at pp.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Subs as expected. Plenty of cover in defence and up front but no midfielder to step in if any of the diamond are hurt, although a switch to 5-3-2 would be possible.

Player
Manager
John King
Its actually 4231. Very even game, rovers with slightly more goal threat.