• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

EFL Trophy Rovers v Liverpool Under 21s

Rovers v Liverpool Under 21s
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Tuesday, September 29, 2020 - 07:00 PM
Until: Tuesday, September 29, 2020 - 09:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I actually thought we did OK in the first half, creating a few chances ourselves through Woolery. Liverpool knocked the ball around well but were fairly lightweight, and we were playing at below normal tempo for periods of the game.

It is difficult to read too much into these matches but the goals will have done the strikers' confidence the world of good.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I can’t remember the last time we beat ANY Liverpool team, so I’m taking this result without any salt. Hopefully, the last two games are a sign of a steady improvement.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I can’t remember the last time we beat ANY Liverpool team, so I’m taking this result without any salt. Hopefully, the last two games are a sign of a steady improvement.
I think the last occasion was August 1991 when we beat their first team 1-0 in a friendly at PP, the winner scored by Aldo.

ADD

Player
Norwood
It was an ok game with three well taken goals once we switched to a standard 442. That said Liverpool lost 6-1 to Wigan 2 weeks ago so the win needs to be put into perspective.
I thought Payne did well - you can't always see from the TV where he is running but on one occasion you could see he was crying out for a slid in ball which never came and the move fizzled out. Still think he will score enough goals if he is played.
Ironically before the first goal was our worst period of play where we lost shape and neat short passing and were giving the ball away way too frequently.
Suspect that result notwithstanding we will revert to just Vaughan up front on Saturday.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
You can’t read too much into this game as Mike’s selection was based on giving all his fringe players game time. Three or four players were out of position. Nevertheless, the win will do a lot for confidence and make selection for Saturday more competitive. Our two fit strikers have now scored, so hopefully our goal drought is over. It may be a rubbish competition but it is serving a good purpose for Rovers.

Let’s hope we can win on Saturday, move up the table and put the indifferent start behind us.

Player
aldo
just seen the goals, the young lad who scored their free-kick what a strike that was. great to see smiles on the lads' faces. now we need to kick start the LG campaign

drwhoman

A good result which must give the team some heart. ADD mentioned the Liverpool 6-1 loss at Wigan but they were 1-0 up there at half time before Wigan brought on some of the more experienced players who are still there! Experience and being older physically undoubtedly helped us. We outlasted them. Still not complaining! Just got to do it again on Saturday against Scunthorpe!