• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

EFL Trophy Rovers v Leicester Under 21s

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I hope there are no more COVID cases or we’ll be playing with a team half full of kids on Saturday.

Player
aldo
I like Banks but, he has more miss games than hit if he was more committed and on the ball, he would be a championship player maybe

Player
aldo
but will always love the guy for the goal against forest Gump lol, that gives him respect in my book lol

ADD

Player
Norwood
Real shame about more COVID cases - Burton must have been one as surely he would have started. Had hoped to see him get a full game and see how he went he seems to have great potential.
Overall I thought we were very good at times but that said I thought Leicester for the last U21 side left were really not very good at all. Surprised by that. As such think it maybe flattered us a bit. Banks some great passes for sure but he had so much time on the ball and acres of space that's not really surprising - he has always had that capability but can he deliver in League games when players are pressurising him all the time?
Sounds like that there won't be many options for Saturday so we may see a similar side on which will be a much tougher test.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It will be interesting to see how we line up on Saturday. The commentary suggested Clarke could be back and if available, he’s a definite starter for me, while in the absence of O’Connor and Macdonald we’d be better off using another defender at right-back than repeating the Khan experiment.

Banks is a player who can do something different in terms of killer passes, so have been surprised that he’s not even made the bench in some games. That said, Ollie can be a bit of a liability defending and I wouldn’t start him Saturday, but consider for the next home game.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Banks, on his day, is worth the admission fee on his own. While he has always been a little "hit and miss" this has become more pronounced the higher the level he is playing at. To be honest, I think that L2 is the highest level he can perform at. At NL level he looks a world beater but can't translate that higher up the leagues as space is more compressed and marking is tighter, not just in terms of his own possession but also the intended target of his pass. I've sadly come to the conclusion that he won't be able to translate his skills to a higher level. This is real shame since when we were promoted to L1 he was one of the few players I thought had the quality to still stand out. I didn't see the match but it is quite telling that he had a MOM performance against Leicester's youngsters. Shame.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
In the case of Banks, I have often wondered if he would be more consistent if he could impose himself more physically in games and it is basically lack of workrate that holds him back. However, as ONIGP suggests, I think his speed of thought and awareness is not good enough when the game is played at a higher tempo and with more intensity, as in League One and above.

Shovelman123

Player
Liam ridehalgh
In the case of Banks, I have often wondered if he would be more consistent if he could impose himself more physically in games and it is basically lack of workrate that holds him back. However, as ONIGP suggests, I think his speed of thought and awareness is not good enough when the game is played at a higher tempo and with more intensity, as in League One and above.
Shame he’s off to barrow

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
but can he deliver in League games when players are pressurising him all the time
No, sadly for reasons mentioned above.
He'd be great playing against kids every week but when you get a real competitive game, he doesn't deliver. Annoying as he's a big lad, he should be able to impose himself more.