• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

EFL Trophy Rovers v Leicester Under 21s

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I am quite looking forward to this game after the improved performance on Sunday. Leicester are the last academy team left in the competition, so it is good to have the opportunity to knock them out.

From Hill's comments after the Barnsley game, it seems we will be fielding pretty much the same team tomorrow night due to Covid issues. The one change I would definitely make is to start Burton rather than Vaughan. Burton seems by far the most promising of the youngsters and it would be interesting to see how he copes for a full ninety minutes. I would guess there will actually be a few more changes, with perhaps Murphy, Banks and Morris starting.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It seems like Ridehalgh's injury is going to keep him out, so a decision for Keith as to whether we opt for wing-backs as we ended at Barnsley or go for a back four, which assuming Macdonald remains unavailable means either a reprise of the Morris at left-back option or giving Hayde a game. I agree with starting Burton and resting Vaughan, while I would also rest Spearing. Suspect that with our weakened squad the Leicester youngsters will be once again too good for us, though as usual I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

Player
Manager
John King
I think Morris has only ever played as a wing back, so I would imagine Monthe will start at left back if neither of the regulars are available.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I’d forgotten about the Monthe option at left-back, though given his current issues, wouldn’t be averse to seeing Hayde start there.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Confirmed the same squad of players as Sun apart from Ridehalgh. A start for Burton sounds like a great idea. He looks hungry and eager and I'll love him to get a goal. Might force myself to watch this later. :oops:

Player
Manager
John King
A number of changes, with Murphy, Banks, Morris, Lloyd and CBT starting. No recognised full backs on the pitch but only two centre backs, so unsure of the formation. Perhaps Spearing in a back three, with Morris and Khan as wing backs ? It seems a clear message is being sent to Ellis.....

Last edited:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Confirmed the same squad of players as Sun apart from Ridehalgh. A start for Burton sounds like a great idea. He looks hungry and eager and I'll love him to get a goal. Might force myself to watch this later. :oops:
Would be nice for younger players to get a run out walker-rice seems to have fallen out of favour

frenchrover

Player
aldo
A rather bizarre line-up.....is it a 3-1 4-2 (Monthe, Ray, Morris - Spearing - Khan, Lewis, Lloyd, Banks - CBT, Ferrier) ?? Be interesting to see how this lot line.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Very odd line-up, Burton not even making the bench is puzzling as is the treatment of Mark Ellis, while I can't understand the need to risk Spearing, particularly out of position if that's what happens.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Early goal, can anyone confirm the formation & who's playing full back

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Morris and Khan full-backs, missed the goal due to Ifollow issues

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes. Packed midfield with Ferrier up top.

Good goal by Ferrier. Showed strength and finished it well.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Khan's defending is a concern. Not sure he's looking comfortable that deep.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
2-1 Rovers. Danny Lloyd header. Should be three, ferrier fires it at goal, great save by their keeper. He's made some good saves tonight.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Good half. Rovers too strong up top.

Player
Manager
John King
Really good half from Rovers. Some of the football has been excellent. Leicester very lightweight and only the keeper has kept the score respectable.