• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Latics

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
We started the game on the wrong foot, very sloppy play for their opener and it felt like quite a few weren't focused, in the opening period, Peter Clarke's distribution was well below his normal standard for example. I don't know how much the wind played a part in that, though he did get more of a grip and there was a great ball for the penalty. There were others who didn't seem on the top of their game today. It was a great goal to level for Oldham, perhaps could have closed down more, but nobody expecting something of that quality. Credit to the Oldham manager Harry Kewell, for still trying to get something from the game when down to ten men, leaving men up when defending corners, whereas we had the full eleven back despite the man advantage.

I'm not sure that the sub choices were that easy to make for KH today. Things weren't coming off for Vaughan, even setting aside the missed penalty and it was worth giving Nugent an outing, though he didn't make an impact this time. However Morris played well in his league come-back, Woolery didn't tire and it's hard to replace Feeney as our main source of ammo. CBT didn't get that much of the ball with his cameo, but he didn't look that much of a danger either. I'm not convinced this was the game for Kirby, Oldham marked fairly tight, but perhaps we could have looked at Crawford?

While agreeing with RLC that we missed Khan's attacking game and understanding with the wide players, I felt O'Connor was decent, some good ball into their box and solid defensive work to get us out of a hole just before h/t. Both of the Oldham goals originated on the left-hand side.

I'd disagree that Oldham were a poor side, if you view their defeat at Forest Green, they were unlucky not to come away with something. Stevenage perhaps, but they were on an encouraging run when they played us.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Kahn out injured for two to four weeks. We can't complain too much as we have been quite lucky with injuries this season.

agree plus we have OConnor and Nelson as back up. OConnor did ok today but it shows how well Otis has done that we really missed him today with his delivery

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
We started the game on the wrong foot, very sloppy play for their opener and it felt like quite a few weren't focused, in the opening period, Peter Clarke's distribution was well below his normal standard for example. I don't know how much the wind played a part in that, though he did get more of a grip and there was a great ball for the penalty. There were others who didn't seem on the top of their game today. It was a great goal to level for Oldham, perhaps could have closed down more, but nobody expecting something of that quality. Credit to the Oldham manager Harry Kewell, for still trying to get something from the game when down to ten men, leaving men up when defending corners, whereas we had the full eleven back despite the man advantage.

I'm not sure that the sub choices were that easy to make for KH today. Things weren't coming off for Vaughan, even setting aside the missed penalty and it was worth giving Nugent an outing, though he didn't make an impact this time. However Morris played well in his league come-back, Woolery didn't tire and it's hard to replace Feeney as our main source of ammo. CBT didn't get that much of the ball with his cameo, but he didn't look that much of a danger either. I'm not convinced this was the game for Kirby, Oldham marked fairly tight, but perhaps we could have looked at Crawford?

While agreeing with RLC that we missed Khan's attacking game and understanding with the wide players, I felt O'Connor was decent, some good ball into their box and solid defensive work to get us out of a hole just before h/t. Both of the Oldham goals originated on the left-hand side.

I'd disagree that Oldham were a poor side, if you view their defeat at Forest Green, they were unlucky not to come away with something. Stevenage perhaps, but they were on an encouraging run when they played us.

I thought the same Boz about the goals coming down the left side. Nothing obvious about mannys role in either but may put a few more SWA in the camp of giving Ray a deserved chance

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought we could have shaken things up tactically after the red card to give Oldham something different to think about. Perhaps take Lewis off and have Vaughan, Woolery and Nugent on the pitch.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
When Hill got the job I’d heard he could be a bit prickly if things gone against his teams and he’s very defensive in his post match interview about making no dramas etc. You wonder whether he reads some of the comments on Facebook!!

Player
Manager
John King
When Hill got the job I’d heard he could be a bit prickly if things gone against his teams and he’s very defensive in his post match interview about making no dramas etc. You wonder whether he reads some of the comments on Facebook!!
I have not seen the interview yet but he does seem very thin skinned at times. I think the vast majority of people are behind him, but obviously there will be disappointment after a couple of poor home results.

He just needs to ignore the nonsensical stuff on social media, surely ?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I have not seen the interview yet but he does seem very thin skinned at times. I think the vast majority of people are behind him, but obviously there will be disappointment after a couple of poor home results.

He just needs to ignore the nonsensical stuff on social media, surely ?

Yes I agree totally he should ignore it. But the mild mannered Derek Jones asked an innocent question and straightaway Keith goes into defensive mode. It may be just his experience and the expectation at the club that makes him assume fans are negative when we don’t win v 10 men

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I can understand it to a degree because some of the stuff on twitter after a defeat is disgraceful. Anyway, I just hope the team don't lose focus over the next few weeks. It's great we have got to another cup final, but let's not lose track of the main objective.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Don't think KH comes across that badly overall in the interview, after a slightly hysterical opening.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Don't think KH comes across that badly overall in the interview, after a slightly hysterical opening.
And to be fair you want him to have a positive attitude to lift the players who would have been a bit deflated. Just came across a bit defensive to me but some would understand that

Player
aldo
our home form is one or the other won 8 draws 1 lost 6 it is just we lose or draw against poor teams and have done alright against some top teams, I don,t know what the answer is but you can see when some of the more creative players are out we struggle at times

Player
Manager
John King
And to be fair you want him to have a positive attitude to lift the players who would have been a bit deflated. Just came across a bit defensive to me but some would understand that
Yes, quite a reasonable interview in which he talks a lot of sense about managing expectations and not reacting hysterically to every result.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
A good interview by Keith. You can't blame him for backing his players. Let's just move on. As I said after Stevenage, at least we didn't give any of our rivals any points.

But now we need to get good results in the next three really tough games. Three defeats would make automatic promotion really difficult, but five points would keep us in touch, keep morale buoyant and not give anything away. Given our recent wobbles at home, I think playing the next two away will help. Carlisle and Orient won't sit back; they will play an open game, which should suit us.

drwhoman

A good interview by Keith. You can't blame him for backing his players. Let's just move on. As I said after Stevenage, at least we didn't give any of our rivals any points.

But now we need to get good results in the next three really tough games. Three defeats would make automatic promotion really difficult, but five points would keep us in touch, keep morale buoyant and not give anything away. Given our recent wobbles at home, I think playing the next two away will help. Carlisle and Orient won't sit back; they will play an open game, which should suit us.
Agree.BBTC. The guy who scored the second Oldham goal will never score another one like that! He should frame the photo for his grandkids!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Our next 3 games are against a rusty Carlisle side, who haven't played much recently, then Orient and Newport who've both been in poor form though the Exiles are at home to FGR today. On the form guide, as opposed to league placings, you'd hope that Rovers would be able to pick up a decent tally from them. As an added incentive if notlob win their next to games at home to struggling opponents, they could make up the 4 point gap on us in BBTCs worst case scenario above.

Player
Manager
John King
Newport v FGR is currently nil nil. A draw is definitely the best result for us there.

Just to buck the usual trend, I am slightly more pessimistic than Boz (!) as Carlisle, although in poor form, are still the best side we have played this season and Tuesday will be tough. Orient are a reasonable team this season too, irrespective of recent results.

However, I agree that we need four points from those two matches.

Reactions: Boz
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Incredibly, that was only the second time in a league game this season that we let a winning lead slip (Barrow was the other). We are normally good at managing the game but you should always expect the unexpected. The only way to guard against a worldie is to have a two-goal lead.

Player
Manager
John King
2-0 FGR which will leave us six points off second with the same number of games played.