• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Keith Hill's Scunny

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Not a vintage half from rovers but a goal from each striker gives us a 2-0 lead. Scunny actually look fairly dangerous going forward but we’ve defended well as a back 4.

Highlight of the half being the chants of “your getting sacked in the morning” to Keith

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Best possible results so far. Northampton and Newport are both losing at home, so we are currently second, as things stand. It may not stay that way, but it shows the pressure our rivals are under.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It was a very patchy opening twenty minutes but we’ve slowly got on top and an excellent second goal, a volley from Nevitt makes things appear more comfortable. I don’t think this game is over yet and there are some areas of concern particularly in central midfield where Spearing has been below par. A 3rd goal should seal it.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
A rare three-goal fest. We are now averaging a goal every league game and only FGR, Vale and Orient have a better goal difference. Hope we can keep this run going!

Player
aldo
wow and against the Tramp too brilliant from rovers the last time we scored four or more was the last game of Daws when Trampy took over that was a long time ago

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Clinical at both ends. Sums us up really. In general play there wasn’t that much between the sides. We’ve scored four without dominating but took our chances and defended well.
Good for the subs to have impacts and for the front two to get a goal. Another clean sheet too.
MOM for me between OConnor and McDonald with Lee covering every inch of grass. Clarke and Davies faultless too.

Nice chants in recognition for Scottie in the second half plus “you can stick your salt and pepper up your arse” being my personal favourite directed towards the opposition manager!

Onwards to Salford on Tuesday.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
44% possession today and our 6th win in a row. A cracking atmosphere too and good times at the moment.

Feeney as frustrating as ever. Worked hard but most of the time his balls into the box were shocking. McPake looked lively but needs more game time I think (hawkes an unused sub for Sunderland today).

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think that was a complete team performance. When I saw that Morris was missing in addition to Hawkes I was concerned there would be a lack of creativity, but we created more clear chances today than we have in any other game this season: their keeper made a number of good saves in addition to the goals, and it could have been a cricket score in the end. At the other end, aside from a couple of crosses which whizzed across the box shortly after the stoppage in play in the second half, we were never threatened. Scunthorpe are clearly a very limited (if spirited) side but I thought we were superb today.

We were flat for the first fifteen minutes, but defended our eighteen yard box superbly, with Cogley in particular covering the centre halves very well. A shot from Feeney which was well saved by their keeper seemed to spark us into life, and the opening goal from Jolley (which the keeper should have saved) set us on our way. From that moment on I thought we were in complete command, solid and disciplined defensively, and a constant threat through the two strikers.

I agree with the sponsor's choice of Jolley as man of the match, and it is great that both he and Nevitt are now scoring goals semi-regularly. However, I thought Callum MacDonald had his best game of the season, and I agree with Sparky that O'Connor had an excellent match protecting the back four. I also thought Liam Feeney was decent this afternoon. McPake was clearly very rusty, but we saw some glimpses of what he is capable of, particularly the cheeky lob of the keeper in the second half.

That is now seven games unbeaten, six wins in a row and up to second in the league. Well done to Micky and the squad and long may it continue. Can't wait for Salford on Tuesday night.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
44% possession today and our 6th win in a row. A cracking atmosphere too and good times at the moment.

Feeney as frustrating as ever. Worked hard but most of the time his balls into the box were shocking. McPake looked lively but needs more game time I think (hawkes an unused sub for Sunderland today).
I thought Feeney was decent today. His set pieces were poor again, but he retains possession well and always helps us get up the pitch.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Scoreline a bit flattering but a reflection of the different firepower for the two sides, with the visitors rarely testing Doohan. Plenty of positives but a few concerns. I’ll post more fully when I get home.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
It was a performance of top of the table (home) v bottom (away)
Scunny are the league's whipping boys and for once we got the first goal and when the second went in, the only question was, how many?
At the start of the season, this was the kind of game we didn't win. We have history!

Happy enough with that!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I thought Feeney was decent today. His set pieces were poor again, but he retains possession well and always helps us get up the pitch.
Yes he did ok, probably a 7/10 - he’s just a bit frustrating but still gets about the pitch well considering he’s getting on a bit.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Excellent performance all round. Solid defending, another clean sheet, four well taken goals and up to 2nd in the league. Micky and the lads are smashing it at the moment. Let's keep it going!

drwhoman

People were looking for scapegoats as we weren't winning or scoring he was an easy target but does a very good job getting stuck in and winning possession

True. This has been his key asset throughout his career.