• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Keith Hill's Scunny

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
This Saturday sees a return to PP for the character that is Keith Hill who brings his Scunthorpe side sitting second from bottom of the table. Two recent negatives for the Iron were the recent 6 pointer home defeat to Carlisle, and the loss of top scorer Ryan Loft who joined Bristol Rovers this week. Keith has made some additions with pacey loanee striker Dan Burns on loan from Blackburn. The visitors have won the least amount of league games this season (3 out of 23), but one of these of course was a home win against us in late August.

It will be interesting what reaction Keith gets from the SWA, if any. Many didn’t like him but under his tenure we reached Wembley and made the play offs, so he might feel like he has a point to prove. Personally I think he just never really got the club and some of his post-match interviews were bizarre, particularly towards the end. Ex rover Devarn Green seems to get more game time since Hill arrived at Glanford Park.

As for the rovers line up, I’d expect Cogley to return at RB and Maynard will need replacing. Hopefully McPake will get some action if fit enough and how he fits in alongside the likes of Morris and Hawkes remains to be seen. As RLC has suggested MM may be tempted to play Nevitt as a lone frontman with those three behind, with Spearing and one of O’Connor or Foley alongside him. I’d prefer the latter as against one of the worst teams in the league we don’t really need two defensive CMs. Of course if Jolley is fit then Mickey may stick with two up front

Prediction: this could be a tough one if Keith comes and parks the bus and looks to frustrate the home crowd. The SWA may need to be patient.

Last edited:
Player
aldo
with the two young wingers fast and tricky and the hungry two youngsters up top Providing, they have recovered it should be fast and fun let us enjoy it 5-0 rovers

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
It will be strange seeing Keith Hill at PP having not witnessed any of the matches during his tenure! I might need to applaud him at the start, descend into ambivalence and then boo him off at the end just to restore my own personal equilibrium...

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
From Micky's interview it sounds like we have several more Covid cases, albeit not enough to force a postponement. Both keepers had the virus last week apparently, while MM confirmed that NKP and MacManaman are still stricken, albeit they would have missed the game anyway.

It seems that Glatzel will be in the squad and might even have to start the game depending on the Covid situation.

As Sparky says above, with the arrival of McPake we have some different tactical options. However, Micky is always reluctant to change a winning team or formation, and I would not be surprised if we start in a 442 with McPake on the bench. In the medium term, I think Mellon might use Jolley rather than Nevitt in the lone striker role with the creative players behind, due to his ability to stretch defences.

As for Keef, I just could not understand or take to the guy. I thought his attitude in press conferences was disrespectful to the club. I think his reception will be pretty muted, given that he was here for such a brief period and results on the pitch were actually reasonable, with the exception of his disastrous final three months.

I agree that it will be a tough, tight game, but I expect another narrow Rovers victory. With several other leading sides on FA Cup duty, there is an opportunity to make further progress.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Without knowing who's still out with covid, aside from those named already, it is really hard to call this game. If both of the keepers are still affected, presumably we could get an emergency loan in. No mention of that so guess we're confident that at least one of Ross/Joe will be capable of starting. JDC doing the pre-match suggests he will be back.

I'd agree with RLC about Micky sticking with a proven formation and the relative strengths of Jolley and Nevitt, so unless we're really thin in numbers would be surprised if McPake starts although we should see him at some point in the game. I hope that Kieron Morris is fit, as one of the players who suffered most by Keith Hill's inept handling, it would be good if he could make a point.

Would imagine Hill will set them up defensively to try and frustrate. They've a new young striker Sam Burns loaned from Blackburn to help fill the gap left by Ryan Loft's departure.

If we were close to full strength ought to win this comfortably. However with a depleted squad could see us dropping points. Will call it when I see the starting xi.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Pleased if Glatzel is back and available - Jolley coming in has done well but Glatzel was really starting to look good before his untimely injury. I agree will be interesting to see if McPake comes straight in - assume he won't be 100% match fit as not played a game in ages but I assume he has been training daily so maybe on the bench for his first game?
Am nervous that the 2 week break will mean we are a bit rusty but hopefully tht won't be the case and we start the NY as we mean to go on with a solid win!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Weather forecast is non-stop rain for tomorrow. While hopefully the new pitch will stand up to it; no postponements for waterlogging since it was re-laid, it may slow things down and also be harder work, particularly from any starter recovering from covid.

Player
ian goodison
even though we are on a good run will only relax if 2-0 with a minute to go, still going for a hard fought win

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Rain seems to have eased a lot now and the sun is coming out so should be ok

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Glatzel on the bench. Not sure we need OConnor and spearing starting. Would have preferred one of them and someone like foley.

Reactions: Boz

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I’m really not sure that this line up is the best use of those players available, though it may also reflect relative fitness, with some of those on the pitch closer to 100%. I’d have liked to see Glatzel start. Hope McPake is on set piece duty. Only 6 on the bench for Rovers. Thinking scrappy draw but not confident enough to rule out a Scunny win. Numbers in the ground at this time suggest a below average crowd too.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Just seen the Scunny line up. The BBC think Devarn Green at right-back ?!@*#

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'm feeling unusually confident about this one, despite Scunny desperately needing the points and KH wanting to get one over on us. My main concern is creativity in midfield with no Morris. However, we have Foley and Watson on the bench, as well as Glatzel. We can't complain bout Covid absences, as Scunny seem to be suffering more. I just hope we play our normal game and don't take them too lightly.