• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Imps

Stickman

Player
Aldo
Where's all the goals? One thing that is saving us from draws and defeats is our defence. We have to threaten more and we have to score more otherwise we'll have a repeat of last season.
I agree with that 100%.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Well, that was like turning the clock back 12 months.
Plenty of possession, but predictable and one paced.
Clear foul on Norwood leading up to their goal which was a great finish.
One win in four is indeed worrying and I'm sure MP will be looking at the table carefully. I don't doubt he'll act if we drift from the top by more than a few wins.
The mutterings from Lower Kop suggest that the GB amnesty is hanging by a thread.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The mutterings from Lower Kop suggest that the GB amnesty is hanging by a thread.
Bizarrely, GB's great start is probably now haunting him a little as he's gone from a fantastic winning start to not being able to win a game.

I just can't put my finger on the subpar performances of late.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Stephenson showed he's still raw (one cross cum shot went over everyone's head for a throw) but he was mobile and direct.
Would have preferred him to have come on second half rather than Kirby who again flattered to deceive for 50 mins.
He was Echo's MOM which says enough about the others today. I would have gone for Macca who although caught out a couple of times was solid and put Rhead in his place. What a tart that tub of lard is. On the floor with the slightest of challenges.
If not Macca then Scottie - Terrific save in second half and the nearest we got to scoring, as Ian quite rightly scathingly posted!
Didn't even notice Mekki came on :)

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A disappointing performance by Rovers and over the ninety minutes we deserved to lose. I don't understand why Ridehalgh and Vaughan can't start the same game, pushing Hughes forward to give the midfield some creativity and leaving one of Harris/Jennings S, both of whom were below par today, on the bench.

Thought the first half was fairly even. Cook brought a good save out of their keeper, Norwood shot against their defender and put another effort wide and we had a decent shout for a penalty for handball. However Davies was the busier of the goalies. Connor Jennings who was doing well went off injured at h/t, think I'd have preferred Mekki/Stephenson coming on ahead of Kirby. The other Jennings scuffed an attempted pass when he ought to have shot following a great through ball. There was then a spell when Rovers kept giving the ball away and kept putting the ball on the congested left side, when Vaughan had space on the right. Davies had already saved us again, when Bonne finished a cross from the left. Also felt there was a foul on Norwood in the build up, but he made a real meal of it, which may have influenced the ref. Stephenson came on, but Cook who battled hard despite being fed only scraps was substituted rather than an ineffective midfielder. At least Darren made a few things happen. Mekki for Harris did nothing to improve things and after we fell behind, Lincoln probably had more chances to extend the lead than we did to level. a header from a corner by Scott Davies was the closest we came.

There were a lot of players who seemed below par today and Brabin's small squad policy may tell against him. It was midfield where we really lost this battle. MoM was Scott Davies who kept the scoreline respectable.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
GB says we dominated the first half o_O I'd like the same thing he's smoking. I might at least enjoy the game then.

M

Mal

this is the conundrum. We have the players but not the strategic or tactical management. I am sure the ex manager of Braintree last season would make winners of the players we have. I have defended Gary for a while but misusing players who scored around 60 goals last season is telling. I normally back a manager but I am losing faith in his tactical nous.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Bizarrely, GB's great start is probably now haunting him a little as he's gone from a fantastic winning start to not being able to win a game.

I just can't put my finger on the subpar performances of late.

For the first few games the team picked itself and the players were fresh and hungry. With the inevitable tiredness and loss of form, and coming up against better opposition, Brabin has actually had some tactical decisions to make and has been found wanting. Let us be honest, the last four games have been as disappointing as anything from the first half of last season. Cheltenham only lost five games in the whole of last season and I don't think we should have lost successive matches at this stage - when we are completely free of injuries and suspensions - if we are to mount a serious title challenge.

Palios must be concerned.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I don't understand why Ridehalgh and Vaughan can't start the same game, pushing Hughes forward to give the midfield some creativity and leaving one of Harris/Jennings S, both of whom were below par today, on the bench.

Or playing Connor Jennings behind the striker where he was so effective for Wrexham last season. We have played him everywhere except for this position. Similarly, Cook has never been used in a conventional front two.

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Connor Jennings has been disappointing for me but as RLC says he's being played out of position and certainly were he is not effective.

I said after the Southport game that we will see how far we have come that after a bad result/performance we then go on and get back to winning ways. What I have seen since is very alarming.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I have defended Gary for a while but misusing players who scored around 60 goals last season is telling.
This is the concern. How can we be failing to score goals? Over to GB..

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Agree with Mal and RLC

Couple of worrying things. Apparently Connor Jennings left the ground on crutches. Meanwhile Brabin having a snipe at Norwood in the post-match remarks.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
This is no dig at Norwood but he spends half his time running back defending. :confused:

Last edited:

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Was Vaughan injured when LM played right back and he didn't even make the bench? Was there some fall out?
He cocked up a few passes first half and after that looked like his confidence was shot.
It looked to me he played easy, hot potatoe passes by way of damage limitation. "I won't get picked next game but don't make it worse".
Probably just me.
But Ihiekwe's distribution first half was also abysmal,

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Following on from Boz and GB's snipe at Lord James .

Quick poll now.....who stays, Brabin or Norwood?

Only joking GB would win by a country mile.

drwhoman

It seems our concerns about Gary's tactical nouse are beginning to emerge again. I am sure Mark will be starting to look long and hard. If a change is needed maybe the sooner the better. Simply not good enough. Mekki, for example, is a winger Gary!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Following on from Boz and GB's snipe at Lord James .

Quick poll now.....who stays, Brabin or Norwood?

Only joking GB would win by a country mile.
I'm not having a snipe at Norwood, merely reporting Brabin is!!

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Leaving the game I said to my son that MP wouldn't be happy if we were more than a manageable two wins from top.
I'm sure MP doesn't want to pussy foot about play offs .
He and Nicola will already have looked at potential replacement !

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Boz, sorry, emoticons weren't working for me.
Rhetorical question was intended mate! :D