• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Hull

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Dropped I would imagine. We are trying to find the right combination up front and this one has plenty of pace.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Should be interesting. Can't make this one so look forward to reading how they got on.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Seems more suited to a diamond formation to me - 4411. Clearly Micky is after the win with so few changes.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Goal down in the opening minute. Grim start.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
2-0 down. Cricket score?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Glad I gave it a miss. Hull made 11 changes. Got to feel sorry for Nelson not being given a game after his form late last season.
Booed off at half time apparently.

Really need to salvage something ahead of Saturday

Player
aldo
Wow what has happened to are defense . Missing in pre season . And now in the season to its gonna be a long season

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It sounds incredibly one-sided against a Hull second xi. Need to get some pride back at least in the second half.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Sounds like an improved second half, or did Hull ease off?

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
I thing they were 12 versus our 2 interms of shots in first half. It is now 21 v 19 to us. Assuming they backed off, but hoping HT team talk and a couple of subs made us more aggressive in terms of shooting.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Rochdale beat Notlob 5-2. Hope that is a good form line for game with them.

Player
Manager
John King
The overall performance was not as poor as the scoreline suggests, but we killed ourselves with kamikaze defending. Individual errors rather than the shape of the team were the problem: for the first goal Davies shanked a clearance to the edge of our own eighteen yard box, for the second Ridehalgh lost the ball on the edge of the box, the third was a free header from a corner. We have to be switched on at all stages of the game against Champ / League One opposition.

There were actually plenty of positives elsewhere. Even in the first half I thought some of our football was decent and in the second half I thought we were excellent, albeit Hull had a lead to protect. CBT was scintillating and very unlucky not to score with an effort off the crossbar; Perkins was excellent; the two centre halves actually grew into the game and did well, particularly Manny; Potter was composed; Ferrier did ok in an isolated lone striker role but did not get any protection from the referee; Mullin was energetic when he came on and forced a brilliant save from their keeper; Morris and Rides were very poor in the first half but better after half time.

However, for all the good approach play I was still left wondering exactly who is going to finish off the chances for us this season.

Hopefully the Bolton game will be the opportunity we need to finally get up and running; if we can replicate the second half performance I think we will win comfortably.

Player
Manager
John King
Hull made 11 changes. Got to feel sorry for Nelson not being given a game after his form late last season.
I think the two centre halves are doing ok to be honest, particularly Manny, but as a team we are just not sharp enough in both boxes at vital moments. A steep learning curve.

Player
aldo
thats 8 conceded in 3 games and no score in two we also had 15 against in pre season mm needs to sort it and quick we seem to be like a holey bucket leaking all over the place

Player
Johnny Morrissey
It was a classic 'game of two halves'. We were outplayed in every position on the pitch in the first half with the exception of Corey Blackett-Taylor who should have a great season ahead of him. Schoolboy defending (ball-watching for the first, a comedy of errors for the second and another set piece for the third), a largely absent midfield - Banks was the proverbial 'headless chicken' (he really is out of his depth at this level) and Potter totally ineffective - and an isolated loan striker, yet again. Bizarre that such a young, talented player like Gilmour can't get any meaningful game time when our midfield is crying out for some of his quality and verve.

The second half, though, belonged to Rovers, and we were really unlucky not to score a couple of goals. So why the improvement? We came out after half-time and played at a much higher tempo. Corey remained a threat. Rides got forward and got into some great positions. Jennings came on for Potter and our passing seemed to click. And Mullin came on for Ferrier, giving us that injection of pace, endeavour, spirit and industry that has been so lacking in Micky's recent trial-and-error attacking formations. Mullin may not be the long-term solution but he certainly should be given his chance. Just like Andy Cook was given his, and the rest is history... Morris, a player who is so pedestrian and predictable in the centre of the park, suddenly brought his influence to bear when moved to the right wing in the second half. That's clearly where he should play, on the wing. And even our defending improved when Hull had some rare pressure in the final 10 minutes.

On that second-half showing, all is not lost, as long as Micky learns the lessons from this evening...

Player
Manager
John King
Seems more suited to a diamond formation to me - 4411. Clearly Micky is after the win with so few changes.
It was 433 with CBT and Morris either side of Ferrier. It will be interesting to see if we stick with the same system on Saturday, but even if we do I think Mullin might start.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
On that second-half showing, all is not lost, as long as Micky learns the lessons from this evening...
Yet we still can't put the ball in the back of the net.