• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Hull

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Our attention now turns to the League Cup and the visit of Championship side Hull City.

Last season Micky showed little interest in this competition and played a weakened team, but I think we will be at pretty much full strength this time around. There are obvious financial benefits if we progress, but equally importantly any victory is valuable for player and supporter morale in a season where most of us expect we will struggle to win games.

Hull finished in the bottom half of the Championship last season and probably have fairly similar quality to Portsmouth, which suggests we can at least be competitive and give them a game. It is possible they will send a team of kids, but if not, they have a few standout players, such as winger Grosicki and Bowen up front. There are other familiar names in their squad, such as ex-Rover Matthew Pennington and ex-Wigan and Wolves striker Nouha Dicko.

I would expect there will only be one or two changes to the Rovers starting line-up, with perhaps Gilmour and one of the strikers that were left on the bench on Saturday featuring. I would be tempted to play five in midfield again, but in a 4411 with Jennings behind the forward.

Prediction: hopefully a decent contest at the very least, watched by about 4,000 fans.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I would expect there to be a number of changes made and would hope that Gilmour will be given a start. I cant see there being much more than 3,000 in attendance and think they will beat us 2 0

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'd expect Hull not to field a full-strength side, which gives us a chance, but nothing more, if we field a strong starting xi. Last season, we picked a much weakened side against Walsall and were comfortably beaten. I'd expect us to make a few changes from Portsmouth, but not wholesale ones. I'd suggest;

Nelson instead of Ray in central defence. Sid can count himself a little unlucky being behind Ray in the pecking order to partner big Manny and I don't think this change will significantly weaken the side.

Gilmour to start. Perkins is petty well indispensible, so a toss up between replacing Potter or Banks.

While I would go for Mullin up front, as on workrate, he's the closest we've got to Norwood, it's clear the manager doesn't rate him, so if he's not going to get a chance in the league games, it seems fairly pointless pitching him in for this. Unless Ferrier is 100% recovered, he mustn't start, so probably Payne up front, with Jennings behind.

Won't be going to this as don't know when I'll finish work. If the club didnt have the price hike on the day, might have considered it. I agree with bigmart on likely attendance, the result will depend mainly on how strong a Tigers side we're up against.

ADD

Player
Norwood
I also think that we will play a strong side to help the gelling process. Save the changes for the Salford etc. Cup whatever it is called...
If Gilmour starts I would definitely have him replace Banks rather than Potter. Will be interesting to see if Woods is fit - if so play him instead of Rides as I believe he plays right across the back. Also yes give Sid a game although to be fair Ray is doing ok but we need ceratinty on who is our best CB combination and I am not sure we know yet...

Player
Johnny Morrissey
For THIS game, I'd like to see Micky experiment with the following:

Wilson, Nelson, Monthe, Woods
Potter, Gilmour, Perkins, Blackett-Taylor
Mullin, Ponticelli

Player
Manager
John King
I also think that we will play a strong side to help the gelling process.
I think this is the key. It was obvious on Saturday that there is still a lot of work to do to get the midfield and forwards linking properly, so I will be disappointed if there are wholesale changes tomorrow night.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Hard to predict. Mainly because we don't know the strength of the Hull team. No harm in rejigging midfield and forwards in an effort to find an effective combo. Like the idea of giving a couple of forwards down the pecking order a chance to try and match the workrate missing since Nors left. I do have time for Gilmour and i hope he can be found a permanent slot. I do like OJJ's line-up. Davies in goal obvs. Midfield maybe a tad unbalanced but i like the quality in there. Hope for a good result and that we learn something useful.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The only issue I’d take with OJJs suggested line-up is starting Blackett-Taylor. By the sound of it he ran out of steam after coming on as a sub at Pompey, so don’t think he’s fit enough for a start.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
the only way of getting fit is by playing . he was out most of pre season so give him 45 mins
I think on the basis of Saturday's match reports, he’s not yet ready to do a full half, perhaps not fully recovered from his injury. Maybe bring on as an impact sub after ~an hour?

Player
ian goodison
I hope micky has one eye on the Bolton game and resists in making too many changes as AM says lets get a settled team going then tweak in the micky mouse cup later

Player
Manager
John King
I am not sure I would start with two strikers against Championship opposition, and if I did it would not be Mullin and Ponticelli, who are furthest down the pecking order. We need to bed in the first choice strikers.

Player
Manager
John King
don,t see the point of giving 2yr contracts out to mullin & Gilmore then keeping them to warm the bench
I did not say Gilmour should not be involved. Mullin was given a two year deal when we had only just been promoted from the National League and now has less than one year left.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Blackett-Taylor for Jennings the only change from Saturday

Player
Manager
John King
Glad we have gone with such a strong team. Looks like a 433 with CBT and Morris either side of Ferrier.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Jennings injured (though fit enough for the bench) or dropped? Can understand going with a strong line up, but some reservations about this one.