• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

EFL Cup Rovers v Harrogate

Rovers v Harrogate
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, September 5, 2020 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, September 5, 2020 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
ian goodison
no good with computers so son-in-law set me up paid£10 then got nothing 2 grandsons came round said even though payment had gone through may have paid for the vale game out came phones & more wires paid another £10 (don't ask) got the 2nd half shocking not 1 ball played on the floor no help for the front 2 from mid-field never looked good enough to win, I thought davies was taking the knee for BLM for the pens as he just seemed to drop onto his knee, fear we could be in for a long haul

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Thanks for the reports. Assume Scottie captain?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Overall, I agree with much of what has been said. As I feared we were not ready. First half very poor with Harrogate the better side by far. Second half we started much more brightly but lost our way and we were gifted a goal. They had several great crosses and on another day could have put another couple in.
Positives I thought both new fullbacks were good - especially McDonald who looks an excellent player (can see why Blackpool fans were so fed up he was sent on loan - Clarke was excellent also. Banks looked more like it when he came on as did Morris.
Negatives - Monthe made several mistakes and did nothing to close down the man on their goal - I thought Ellis would have started but maybe not close enough to full fitness? Spearing was disappointing and looked short of pace/ not match fit. Most worryingly though there was an almost complete absence of creativity - it is easy to see now why we only scored once in pre- season. Payne should have started ahead of Ferrier who had missed a week's training and did very little. I also felt Murphy should have started and I thought Jacko would have changed the Captain also.
Disappointing but early days - will be interesting what changes are made Tuesday - suspect will have to play the youngsters.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The biggest issue for me this season will be goals, its vital Vaughan stays fit and we really could do with another striker.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Agree with a lot of the comments above. It is clear we are still lacking fitness. There were too many below par performances. Ferrier was not ready, Spearing needs more games and struggled to influence the game in midfield. Vaughan wasn't great. In fact, the only forward that looked sharp and showed some neat touches and passing was Payne. Defensively we were OK. Manny probably a game or two away as he lacked sharpness and I agree with Boz that Clarke was excellent at the back.

It was fine margins that lost us the game in the end as had Spearing showed more conviction for his penalty, we would have won. I think it will take a few games until we start seeing better Rovers performances though.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Like ADD I’m disappointed Scottie retained the captaincy, Altho probably not a massive issue as Clarke and spearing are natural leaders anyway.

For a while I’ve thought we don’t have enough creativity. CBT had some great games last season but it was his first real season. Still very young and in other games last season he was poor. Morris is decent and hopefully Khan will be good but with that and a front three of Vaughan, Payne and Ferrier, still may not be enough goals.

All that said, still VERY EARLY DAYS so no need to panic

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Listened to Mike Jackson's post-match interview and he made a point about Rovers letting too much get through our left side.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Listened to Mike Jackson's post-match interview and he made a point about Rovers letting too much get through our left side.
Yes, I would not be surprised if Ridehagh gets a recall after hearing that.

I personally thought Davies was fine today, albeit he could maybe have done a bit better with a couple of the penalties.

I also don't think there is a general lack of creativity; we have got Banks, Morris, Kahn and CBT. I think it is more a case of finding a central midfield pairing / trio that can control the game in the middle of the pitch, something we did not do for long periods today.

Reactions: Ian