• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

EFL Cup Rovers v Harrogate

Rovers v Harrogate
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, September 5, 2020 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, September 5, 2020 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Not a great 30 mins with very little in the way of chances. Harrowgate playing quite well although a bit lightweight up front. I think we'll grow into the game. Can't see much happening for the rest of the half.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Not a great 30 mins with very little in the way of chances. Harrowgate playing quite well although a bit lightweight up front. I think we'll grow into the game. Can't see much happening for the rest of the half.
How did u get pics I only can listen to it

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Blackett-Taylor (injured) off replaced by Morris.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
60% possession for Harrowgate with 1 shot each. Zero on target. Hope for a better second half.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Fairly even, CBT with our only real effort before his injury, the visitors having more action in and around our box without anything troubling Scott Davies. My concern with Rovers is that we've not been able to hold onto the ball for long, as Ian's possession stat suggests.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Ferrier crocked. Payne to come on.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Lewis off. Banks on.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Didn’t see what happened to Ferrier, but good to see Payne in action. Had a glut of Harrogate attempts but a poachers goal from Vaughan puts Rovers ahead.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
1-0 Rovers.
Payne worked hard to gather the ball, falls to Vaughan, rounds the keeper, easy tap in.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
1-1. Kerry with a low shot into the corner.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Penalties. Think Harrogate had the better of things in 90 minutes.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Lost on penalties. Disappointing.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A mixed bag of a performance and I think Harrogate deserved to go through over all.

The first half was poor. Harrogate started brightly and confidently, playing decent football, whereas we were pretty disjointed. I thought the centre of midfield was the real problem, with very little supply to the strikers and not much creativity. The pairing of Lewis with Spearing did not really work: Lewis did not offer much on the ball and left Spearing pretty exposed at times, although I thought Jay himself had a poor game individually, perhaps due to lack of match fitness. Defensively we looked solid enough, with both full backs decent and Clarke very solid. I thought Khan was the best of the attacking players in the first period, always willing to get on the ball even if the final product was sometimes lacking.

After the break we played with more urgency, but I thought the performance really picked up when Banks and Payne came on. Banks gave us the vision and creativity we had been lacking in the middle, and Payne was a more effective partner for Vaughan than Ferrier had been in the first half. I thought Morris also came into the game more when Banks began to get on the ball. All of that said, Harrogate looked dangerous in the closing stages and we had a couple of let offs in the last few minutes of the game.

It is very disappointing to get knocked out of any cup competition in the first round. No need to panic, but plenty of room for improvement, particularly in our use of the ball and midfield creativity.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Largely agree with RLCs assessment above. I felt Lewis was tenacious and for some away games, that central midfield paring might work, but neither he nor Spearing had a good game today. Ferrier was fairly quiet up front and Payne and Vaughan worked better together. However, the Harrogate keeper was relatively inexperienced and we didn't test him enough. Defensively we were generally sound, though seemed to switch off for the equaliser. Penalty shoot-outs are always a lottery, but given James Vaughan is likely to be our usual penalty taker, expecting more from him than that tame effort.

MoM Peter Clarke, almost flawless in defence, a couple of excellent balls out from the back and a decent penalty in the shoot-out.